Prototype Rocket Laika -- a 13.7L vertical ITX case designed to look good on your desk (updated 11/21)

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Hey everyone!

This is the Rocket Laika, a vertical small-form factor case that's made to sit prettily on your desk ;). This is starting as a personal project for myself, but if there's interest then I'd be happy to look into selling these (and if you're interested, I have a Google Form!). I designed this case for my next desktop at the start of quarantine and am finally preparing to prototype. My friend got the NZXT H1 and I really liked it, but wanted something that let me see all the components I overpaid for. The design is a classic sandwich, with mounting up top for a radiator and exhaust fan. The rear fan is meant to be run in exhaust as well. The clear front and sides were the main design goal for me, so while GPU temps are definitely a concern we'll see how the prototype does before redesigning. Please feel free to leave any feedback to the design and I'd love to answer any questions.

Case render (updated November 21, 2020):

Features:
  • CNC-milled aluminum chassis
  • Clear acrylic front cover
  • Steel inner brackets
  • 2.5" drive mount
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Compatibility:
    • Mini-ITX motherboards
    • SFX power supply
    • 2-slot GPUs up to 130mm width, 340mm length, 2.2 slots (2.5 slot unconfirmed, will be tested)
    • 70mm CPU cooler clearance (approximate, will try to test with Noctua L12S)
    • Top: 45mm thick 120mm radiator or 30mm thick 140mm radiator + 25mm thick fan
    • Rear: 25mm thick 120/140mm fan
Dimensions:
W: 170mm
L: 190mm
H: 424mm (no feet), 463mm (with feet)
V: ~13.7 liters

Google Form if you're interested: https://forms.gle/ei4fueoT7QAbw92o8
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rocketwares/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RocketComputers

Email me: rocketwares@gmail.com

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This look really expensive to make.

I'm not an expert on acrylic, but wouldn't long bends will be impossible to make with reasonable precision?

There is also custom extrusion, but that is expensive as well.

Reactions: RocketMan

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
I already priced it out via Xometry & Fractory and even at low quantities (<100) I can make this case with a pretty reasonable margin for packaging and profit at my target price (~$300). I designed the aluminum pieces with CNC machining in mind so I think that helped in the end.

The acrylic will definitely be a challenge but I'm thinking if I rig up a well made wooden jig with the corners rounded at the desired radius I can bolt the acrylic down and bend it cleanly. That's at least for the prototype; the final panel will definitely be outsourced to real professionals.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
$300? USD I suppose? This is quite expensive. For custom SFF case, I think 200 USD is just about the norm or entry point.

Another feedback:- the display card looks like it is going to have a similar fate as one sitting inside a NZXT H1. The thermals would not likely be good.

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Closer to $200 is definitely a good target at higher volumes but that price frankly can't be sustained at low-volume production. Also I was looking at other popular cases here like the S1 and Mjolnir for pricing guidance, and they made sense using the manufacturing costs I had.

GPU temps will be closely monitored in the prototype. I might mess around with 60mm fans or slots in the acrylic if needed, but I'm hoping to minimize that if possible. There should be air moving from the bottom out the top cover & the top of the rear so I'm hoping that'll be an improvement over the H1.

Reactions: BerGO

worldtour

Average Stuffer
Jul 24, 2019
Single bend acrylic window would be just as nice. Replace the GPU side with the same perforated aluminum as the back and it would be a nice symmetrical design with better airflow.

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Single bend layout sounds nice for a more economical, mainstream version but at least for now I'm pretty dead-set on having three transparent sides. Sometimes you gotta show off that overpriced GPU :cool:

Reactions: worldtour

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
I could use some feedback on a design decision; what do people think about handles for SFF cases? I don't carry my case around too often but I imagine I might more once I built an SFF PC. On the other hand, that giant hole at the top might let in dust or just be plain uncomfortable so I was wondering what this forum thought.

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Decided to go with the handle. Onto another design update: I made a one bend version for fun as suggested by worldtour and made some renders. The panel layouts are interchangeable with each other and adding it takes a few extra tap holes and another bracket. I'll prototype this to compare temps and the aesthetics in person. What do y'all think, would you be more interested in the one bend version if it were up for sale?

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Decided to go with the handle. Onto another design update: I made a one bend version for fun as suggested by worldtour and made some renders. The panel layouts are interchangeable with each other and adding it takes a few extra tap holes and another bracket. I'll prototype this to compare temps and the aesthetics in person. What do y'all think, would you be more interested in the one bend version if it were up for sale?

This Iteration is so much betterr, I defo will go for one.

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Been a while since the last update, so I thought I'd share some progress. Say hi to the very first (and definitely not the last) Laika prototype! I identified some important issues but we should have a working desktop as soon as my PCI riser cable arrives. It's also missing the power button, PSU power cord extension, USB 3.0 I/O, and all the external panels but none of those are needed for the first boot ?

Hardware: Ryzen 3600, Strix X570i, TridentZ RGB 32GB, SF750, NZXT M22, EVGA GTX 950

Current issues (as of 9/22 prototype)
  • No room for I/O shield; need to move motherboard mounting up 2 mm
  • PCI-E riser cable mounting holes too low; need to move up 2 mm
  • Radiator tubing blocked by Spine and/or Radiator Bracket in certain configurations
  • PSU can easily move side to side; will secure with extra walls on PSU support
  • PCI-E riser cable bends too sharply near where it's secured to the standoffs
  • No RTX 3080 ordered ?

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
I expected to have an RTX 3080 by now, but this virtual one will have to do. Also showing off the new improvements that came from prototype feedback. Time for V2 :)

RocketMan

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
While I like the logo, I don't like having any logo as a prominent feature of a case.
I definitely understand that! The top cover will be a simple flat, laser-cut piece so I'm thinking I include both a standard cover and one with a logo if it's not cost prohibitive. That said, I actually have some pics featuring the top cover with logo so feel free to take a look!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I really like the design and prototype - agree the logo on top might be a bit much but - did you decide if you'll add GPU perforation or not?