Concept Project SOFF 9.6L all face up case

mdbk

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
Introduction
Whole concept is inspired by Lian Li O series case. And I have seen many great works in SFF forum and personally liked the Dan case and DR Zaber, but those concepts are not developed to show off great components inside the case with face up.
Such Custom mod mini has good concept but has quite some of limitations on pc parts and PSU is external adapter which i really don't like. So I came up with my own design

Baseline of this concept
1. Utilize widely used, easy to find pc parts.
2. As personally I love Ryzen stock cooler, utilize it and show it off.
3. Face up Graphic card with their fan.
4. Less limitation on selecting pc parts

PC parts used on Proof of concept
1. Mainboard : Gigabyte AB350 ITX wifi
2. PSU : Silverstone 500W full modular and Seasonic ss500L1U
3. GPU : MSI Geforce GTX 1070 gaming X and Gigabyte Radeon rx460

Proof of concept work

Sketchup modeling before actual work (Current POC is changed due to no reference sized card can be found on market, This concept will carried out later version of this project)

With oversized graphic card (Power connector has some disruption with PSU due to wrong measurements used when cutting the acrylic plate)

With reference sized graphic card (length... please just imagine this is long enough as reference)

Fan and Hard disk layout (Hopefully 2 to 3 SSD mount and 1 x 120mm fan and 1 to 2 x 40mm fan)

Proof of concept with 1U PSU (Not enough 6 + 8 pin jack to run gtx 1070 so did not take actual working shot but this configuration actually offers better cable management and looking. Where SFX PSU lies will be a box with different layers to install SSD, cable management, 120mm fan)

Actual working shot

Case size

Internal space is designed as 300mm X 290mm X 100mm
With 3mm Aluminium case size will be 306mm X 296mm X 106mm which is 9601.056 ~ 9.6 liter case

Purpose of this work
First of all, build my own case for personal use. If many are interested then develop further on aesthetic and internal layout to go for individual selling. My goal is to reduce it as much as possible to make it under 7.5L

Your feedback will be highly appreciated

Special thanks to seasonic team, as they helped me to buy their modular 1U PSU directly from their headquarter in Taiwan.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I had a case idea like this awhile ago but was going to use a 480mm (2x2x120) square rad as that backbone (build the pc on top of it). Would love to see more pics of how everything is mounted if you get time.

Reactions: AleksandarK

mdbk

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
I had a case idea like this awhile ago but was going to use a 480mm (2x2x120) square rad as that backbone (build the pc on top of it). Would love to see more pics of how everything is mounted if you get time.

Well, check the pictures below

Others are screwed but power... just sitting on broken acryl

mdbk

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
Not sure why.....
i can check all pictures with various devices... and works fine on my devices. Iphone, macbook, nexus 5, windows...

Here is entire album... i did not sort the pictures as i just made account on img guru

Below is Soff with 8.75L = 306mm x 270mm x106mm image together

Still working on the project. And looking for some factory to build prototype...

Last edited:

mdbk

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
Here is bit of update

Currently i am looking for Chinese factory to produce cheap mock up for myself to check proof of concept. I will get my friends help to communicate with Chinese factory as i am currently working in Macau but in case anyone knows good candidate, please let me know.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Not to mention, the Origin PC Chronos and Lian Li PC-05S used the same layout months and years prior. Layouts aren't something anyone can claim ownership of. There are only so many arrangements of parts that make sense, so it's inevitable that different people will arrive at very similar solutions independent of eachother.

mdbk

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
Emmmmmm....I had done this structure in Dec.2016

300L*320H*98W

oh... good how was everything went on your production?

My goal here is to reduce all size to 300 x 270 x 95 with reference sized graphics. Unfortunately, i have oversized gtx 1070 to run so built 300 x 290 x 100. No mainstream reference graphic card at the market at the moment to work on...

mdbk

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
Not to mention, the Origin PC Chronos and Lian Li PC-05S used the same layout months and years prior. Layouts aren't something anyone can claim ownership of. There are only so many arrangements of parts that make sense, so it's inevitable that different people will arrive at very similar solutions independent of eachother.

I was inspired by Lian li 05s.... and wanted to shrink down the size to near 7L as how dan case did. but here is what i ended up at the moment..