Concept Project Simplicity

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I have a 4875T and did some testing a couple of weeks back, it's used in my HTPC so that is running on onboard video. Although I am using a Thin ITX board with LP DDR3 Sodimm.

Load was done using Cinebench R15 Multi-threaded.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Yes it is.
Though it is an Thin ITX board that is powered with a 19V 120W Akasa powerbrick I believe. So add a couple of watts for a regular more inefficient PSU

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Nice frame ! Thanks for the advise, but I'm a converted 35W CPU user, currently using an i7-4785T. The NH-L9i is more than enough for such TDP.

I agree that the frame adds to the overall dimensions compared to sheet metal construction. Each square tube I'll be using have a 20mm x 20mm section, made from 2mm aluminum.

I make use of this added space to fit the fans, to create an hidden cable management room, etc. The chassis also support 6x 2.5" drives without obstructing the air flow.

The biggest space eater is the Workstation card compatibility. It requires 313mm + 25mm the the PCIe at the rear of the card.
I see. Personally I like this layout the most for matx. I will probably work on an interation of this myself in the future.

If you use extruded aluminum instead, they do have easier to source 20mm version. The slot for the screws can be used to sandwich a board, providing you plan it out.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I have estimated the material cost (square aluminum tube + 8x joints) to 50€.

Been thinking about another design, even more minimalist. Will try to draw it tonight.

Simplicity frame, Radeon Pro SSG edition:

Edit: I'm working on the slidable 4x SSD rack. For that purpose, I'll base it around a SAS reverse breakout cable (link to valuable informations):

The idea is to connect the SAS plug to a SAS backplane, and to connect the four Sata plugs to the motherboard. This way I only have 2 cables connected to the backplane (1x mini-SAS + 1x power), reducing the cluttering.

Have to find a suitable backplane now :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and K888D

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Since I want to design a solution and not a problem, I'll start playing with the internal layout and sew the dress around the body.

So far, I think I can't go much smaller for an mATX build. The GTX980 is only for size reference, I'm waiting for GTX1060 to be announced officialy. The remaining 2 slots will be used for SSD and sound card (Audio Science, Pink Faun, RME, nfi yet).

Sorry for the bare screenshots, I have to find out how to export a view as a picture in Freecad .... or just setup the Luxrender workbench:
Those look great! Some very nice ideas that you have implemented for this case and computer. As for LuxRender, I think you should go for a RX 480 as AMD supports OpenCL much better than NVIDIA (CUDA).

Where did you get those great models for the components in the case? I have been scouring GrabCAD trying to find any that are as well made as those.

Last edited:

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
That looks awesome G.

A suggestion/question: I know you are running low power and for you it is unnecessary. You could hollow out the wooden base to mount your SSD/HDDs. Also you could lengthen the case to 375 and add a 240/280 radiator for WC and still be under 14L. If you don't do it, can I do something similar?

Mal

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Update:

Worked on the inner "structure". This is a metal sheet with 3 bendings:
  • Front fan (only screwed on 1 edge)
  • Motherboard
  • PCI cutout + i/o + HDPLEX
  • PCI bracket support
There's a French sheet metal company that has an online tool to get a quote instantaneously. For a single piece in 2mm steel, that would cost me 56€ VAT excl.

The cover will be a U shaped in 3mm steel (quote around 20€).

I'll continue working on the design and make a 3D drawing / perspective because it is maybe difficult to understand how the inner structure is done.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Update:

Worked on the inner "structure". This is a metal sheet with 3 bendings:
  • Front fan (only screwed on 1 edge)
  • Motherboard
  • PCI cutout + i/o + HDPLEX
  • PCI bracket support
There's a French sheet metal company that has an online tool to get a quote instantaneously. For a single piece in 2mm steel, that would cost me 56€ VAT excl.

--snip--

The cover will be a U shaped in 3mm steel (quote around 20€).

I'll continue working on the design and make a 3D drawing / perspective because it is maybe difficult to understand how the inner structure is done.
Nice, very nice. I can only hope to find a local sheet metal company (Canada) that can do the case I'm designing for the same amount or less.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Those are great rates. It cost nearly 4x that for my prototype frame.

Thanks for the permission. I have been working on a mATX design for months. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mal

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Those sound like good prices for the 1 off metal pieces, what company is that with?

Thank you. I was expecting way more. This is for raw steel though. Pre-lacquered and then lacquered on the 2 faces adds doubles the price.

The company is e-pliage.

Nice, very nice. I can only hope to find a local sheet metal company (Canada) that can do the case I'm designing for the same amount or less.

Thank you. Sadly, price is too often a game changer. Good luck and never give up !

Those are great rates. It cost nearly 4x that for my prototype frame.

Thanks for the permission. I have been working on a mATX design for months. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you ... And no problem, we are a community after all :D

Been trying this little mockup to show the structure. Please be nice to me, this is a ghetto mockup with what I have and am allowed at hospital:

You can clearly see:
  • The single edge fan mount
  • The full PCIe cutout
  • The prolongated PCIe holder

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
What I'm clearly seeing is a very creative person prototyping the hell out of that paper. I hope your recovery is going well, it sure is not impeding your will to make projects !

Reactions: FCase and Soul_Est

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
What I'm clearly seeing is a very creative person prototyping the hell out of that paper. I hope your recovery is going well, it sure is not impeding your will to make projects !

Thank you very much. That will sure helps me to fight. Creativity is what my job lacks the most.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Been watching a nice video about sheet metal from the Useful references for case design thread:

Will have to bring a few change to the design. Especially the i/o shield cutout that is too close to the bending line. The closest edge will likely twist during the bending process.

The two options I have in mind:

• Make the back a separate panel and rivet it to the motherboard panel
  • Extend the i/o shield cutout across the motherboard panel.
The first option is the logical choice, but the second one would keep the original idea of a single folded sheet.

While the i/o shield could slide vertically with an extended cutout, I do not think it is too important. An long as it is secured horizontally.

What do you think ?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Will have to bring a few change to the design. Especially the i/o shield cutout that is too close to the bending line. The closest edge will likely twist during the bending process.

I came across this exact issue with Acrylic bending for my earlier case project. One way to get round it is to put your hard drives under the motherboard and use longer motherboard standoffs.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I came across this exact issue with Acrylic bending for my earlier case project. One way to get round it is to put your hard drives under the motherboard and use longer motherboard standoffs.

That could be another solution indeed, hadn't thout about it.

Edit: This will also allow a path for cables, without the need of cutouts.

Last edited: