Project: Overpowered web kiosk

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Preface
Before I get into the build itself, I want to talk about the concept of compromise. While the word compromise might bring to the mind the sense of a lost abilities or content, it doesn't have to be. Simply put, compromise, when done right, is the act of removing features that aren't necessary to you. My focus for this build was built around this idea. I didn't need multiple PCIe slots, a huge GPU, large power supply, or even an attractive appearance. I wanted a small, power efficient GPU, a desktop CPU, a 2.5" drive, and a fairly quiet system.

While some may be opposed to the nature of small form factor computing due to perceived draw backs in either performance, noise, or other aspects, I believe that is its appeal to me. If you want a quiet system, you can cut back on features until you get that. To achieve performance while disregarding looks or cost, you can do that as well. The flexibility of the platform gives you exactly what you want, and nothing that you don't. Mainstream case manufacturers need to be able to support a wide range of hardware options and can't focus on small niches like SFF. This is where I believe this environment is so beneficial. This community creates cases that are tuned to our own needs. We reduce wasteful features and solely implement our own desires. We create compromises that our beneficial that no one else would do. This build is my reflection of an ideal compromise.

The Build

Current unfinished pictures:

Without GPU installed:

The only issues with it right now is the CPU is overheating a decent amount so I'm thinking of adding a 40mm fan to the side of the case and one above.

Build Quirks
  • Even though the dimensions say the GPU is 10mm shorter than the case, it turns out it isn't. this caused me to have to nibble out quite a bit of the side in order to have it fit.
  • In continuing with the GPU fit, I'm going to 3d print a bezel that should still give access to the buttons, but covers the unsightly GPU sticking out of the side.
  • The case is basically one giant perforated dust magnet, but I can't add air filters in fear of the CPU not getting enough air.
  • The CPU fan has basically 1/5 of the space it normally would due the GPU covering it
  • The only area the CPU can get airflow from is to its right since there is either a front bezel, io shield, or hd plex riser in the way.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Did you have to cut the case to make the back of the card fit?

What are the red and green lights? Is that something custom or how the case came?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Did you have to cut the case to make the back of the card fit?

What are the red and green lights? Is that something custom or how the case came?
I did have to cut the case. I originally believed I didn't, but either the GPU or the case spec page was wrong.

The red and green lights are HDD activity and power respectively. Currently they are stock, but I have a plan for them.

Reactions: Biowarejak