Concept Project Simplicity

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
If you want to run it on integrated graphics my linked HTPC build would be perfect for your use case.
but that would require a new motherboard and ram and the case it's a bit bigger than what you could do with active cooling, but it is passive so 0 noise.

If you want some specific benchmarks of the CPU or iGPU let me know, I'd be happy to run them for you.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
If you want to run it on integrated graphics my linked HTPC build would be perfect for your use case.
but that would require a new motherboard and ram and the case it's a bit bigger than what you could do with active cooling, but it is passive so 0 noise.

I'd like to keep the Z87 Gryphon. I'd be better of going with an i7-6700T, ITX and DDR4 if I were to refresh the whole rig.

I'd like to have an ESI audio card parallel to the motherboard too, on a flexi riser. That would fill the free space and match the white colour of the HDPlex.

If you want some specific benchmarks of the CPU or iGPU let me know, I'd be happy to run them for you.

Thanks a lot. I'm more a real test case guy, rather than a benched figures one. Does it run smoothly for everyday use ? This is what I use my WS for:
  • Archlinux
  • Krita
  • Freecad
  • Blender
  • Darktable
  • Inkscape
  • Scribus
  • Kicad
  • Sublime text + gcc
  • retrogaming (libretro + emulationstation)
  • VLC / Spotify

Reactions: Soul_Est

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Project simplicity is back on rails ! I bought an i7-4785T (4C/8T, 2.2GHz/3.2GHz turbo, 35W).

Next step is an HD-Plex 250W Hifi. Also been thinking about an SSD to PCIe adapter to reduce cables clutering:

Does any of you have experiences with similar cards ? The idea is to reuse my current SSD (Sandisk Extreme PRO 240GB) and upgrade to a PCIe NVMe later.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
No experience with this GA, but it seems like a great way to reduce cable clutter if you have the slots to do it.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
My CPU should arrive today or tomorrow. Been going back and forth about discrete GPU or not for ages ... and I came to the conclusion that I do not game and iGPU (HD4600) is enough.

So .... budget moved toward my passion: audio ! Will buy next month a PCIe I2S bridge : www.pinkfaun.com/portal/portal/productaanbod/dac-streaming-audio/1440-i2s-bridge

This card exposes the I2S digital signal through HDMI I2S pins, and also has an I2S internal header if you want a custom cable (which I'll do).

I'll design my chassis around that, changing my now overkill Noctua NH-C14 for a Noctua NH-L9i. This will enable slim blade look, dove tailed wood frame with tainted tempered glass sides.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Pretty neat, what sort of plans do you have?

I remember some time back I stumbled upon MiniDSP which, through a USB connection to a PC, lets you do stuff like room correction equalization, and even bi-amping in software. I had thought it would be neat to try and stick one inside a PC case instead of going with a rack of crossovers and a graphic equalizer, but hadn't been able to figure out how one would actually get an I2S signal off the PC (and RCA cables off a soundcard and right back into another device is a kludge), not to mention I am STILL confused which, if any of their products support more than just stereo off the digital inputs (their documentation is poor complete with empty specifications lists, unlisted headers, and what pinouts they do have suggest 8 channel I2S on devices that claim to only support stereo).

Of course, I also lack the budget to tinker with that sort of thing.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
It sounds amazing, I can't wait for the result !

Thanks a lot. That is a project I postponed for far too long (you can ask J0rd lol).

Pretty neat, what sort of plans do you have?

This is a project I've been thinking about for a few years now. My idea is too have a slim chassis, made of wood, steel and glass. I'll use an HD-Plex 160W (enough for my needs, cheaper than the 250W Hi-Fi anf has a lower ripple on all voltages).

I'll make an external linear power supply to power everything (90W should be more than I need). The I2S bridge will be connected to an I2S DAC kit, connected to a DIY power amplifer and full range speakers (fostex).

but hadn't been able to figure out how one would actually get an I2S signal off the PC

You can get this bridge or mod an ESI Juli@ (XTe) to get the I2S signal out of the "base board". More expensive solutions like broadcasting sound card provides I2S and/or AES-EBU outputs.

Pink faun has a multi-channel I2S bridge too:

Of course, I also lack the budget to tinker with that sort of thing.

Yup, that is the main brake to audio joy. Price tends to expend exponentially (just like our ears volume sensitivity lol).

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Since I want to design a solution and not a problem, I'll start playing with the internal layout and sew the dress around the body.

So far, I think I can't go much smaller for an mATX build. The GTX980 is only for size reference, I'm waiting for GTX1060 to be announced officialy. The remaining 2 slots will be used for SSD and sound card (Audio Science, Pink Faun, RME, nfi yet).

Sorry for the bare screenshots, I have to find out how to export a view as a picture in Freecad .... or just setup the Luxrender workbench:

Reactions: Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So you changed your plans to go for the 250W to give the GPU sufficient power, right? Will you still build a linear PSU yourself or just get one from HDPLEX then?

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
So you changed your plans to go for the 250W to give the GPU sufficient power, right? Will you still build a linear PSU yourself or just get one from HDPLEX then?

Well, the HD-Plex 250W gives more flexibility but I'd still like to build the linear PSU myself. I only need a single voltage and want the PSU chassis to match the computer one.

Not settled on the GPU side, waiting for the GTX1060 anouncement. I just want something that can run at most on a single 6 pins, but PCI-E powered would be perfect.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Little update:

Been trying to come up with a minimalist design using 20x20mm square tubes and 3 joins corner.

The design fits 2x 120mm front fans, mATX, 4x full height & full length PCIe boards, SFX PSU / HD-PLEX and a few 2.5" drives below the GPU (not displayed).

The design is aimed at workstations, hence the support of full size GPU (Quadro and Firepro).

Frame size, including the 5mm protruding from the fans : 170 x 290 x 390 (19.2L)

Top and bottom panels will be solid wood, screwed to the frame. Or maybe casted cement for the bottom.....

Side panels will be steel, held in place with screws or magnets. Front panel .... ?

A cable management is available behind the motherboard. Another 20mm management area is available at the bottom of the case, with a nice cover.

Sorry for the sh***y mockup, no computer so had to drew it with ½ scale. Then colorized it on my phone with Autodesk Sketchbook.

Will do the 3 points perspective drawing tomorrow to better show the features. Long time since I last did that by hand XD.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Update time:

Please be nice and excuse the lack of accuracy concerning circles and fan blades XD.

Added:
  • Noctua Redux 120mm PWM front fans
  • Noctua NH-L9i
  • Corsair SF450

Next:
  • Design SSD caddie / rack
  • Design side panels
  • Design top an bottom panels

Using the SF450, you should aim for a Cryorig C7 or a similarly more potent CPU cooler than the LH-9i. It is not a very good CPU cooler. Here is mine for reference since it uses the same layout:

It measures 7.4" x 12" x 12.2" (W * H * D). It houses two AMD 380 (second one not installed yet) and is essentially 6 slots. An EVGA G2 650W ATX PSU. It clocks in at 17.8L.

Since it uses beam construction, a good amount of its dimensions is taken up by the beams themselves. It is quite possible to slim it down, lengthen the depth, and remove the 6th slot, and clock it in at 17L. For reference, the beams occupy 15mm of width.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Using the SF450, you should aim for a Cryorig C7 or a similarly more potent CPU cooler than the LH-9i. It is not a very good CPU cooler.

Nice frame ! Thanks for the advise, but I'm a converted 35W CPU user, currently using an i7-4785T. The NH-L9i is more than enough for such TDP.

I agree that the frame adds to the overall dimensions compared to sheet metal construction. Each square tube I'll be using have a 20mm x 20mm section, made from 2mm aluminum.

I make use of this added space to fit the fans, to create an hidden cable management room, etc. The chassis also support 6x 2.5" drives without obstructing the air flow.

The biggest space eater is the Workstation card compatibility. It requires 313mm + 25mm the the PCIe at the rear of the card.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks for the advise, but I'm a converted 35W CPU user, currently using an i7-4785T.

Do you have any power measurements of the system at full load (Prime or similar) with just onboard video? I'm looking at the i7-6700T but there's very little data on it and what I'm seeing is conflicting on how much power it draws.