SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Thanks a lot for this very informative link. So I must have to fold front + top + back and have the bottom riveted to it.

Not necessarily. If you make the case yourself you can make the press brake yourself as well, and it is very much possible to make one that allows you to make a closed loop.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I must definitely keep in mind that I'm going to build it. I changed small things in order to reduce the amount of material needed and reduce the wastes, as it is very important to me.

By the way, I'm modeling many things in Sketchup. Do you guys have a repository where I could upload them ? I'd be happy to help, so feel free to ask about any 3D model that you'd need and I'll model it :D. Today I modeled a Thermalright Macho Zero and started a Silverstone AP181 / AP182 fan (still have to model the rotor and blades though). Both are on the picture below:

I removed the side panel as I'm not happy with them, will think about it later. The chassis core is now U shaped and has a single 180mm fan, been thinking that the 120mm exhaust was really not needed considering the case size. The fan will have an HEPA filter to keep everything away from dust :D.

The foot and spikes are gone too, the case felt bigger than it is with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
looks good. Regarding a components repository, JexMckean over on Bit-tech has an old one but he stopped taking submissions. I will discuss with staff if we want to do a SFF orientated one here :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's a nice design and it might be easy to manufacture. I like the fan being the "fourth wall" and the bent tabs to attach it to.

The only issue I see (not that I'm an expert) is the I/O backplate cutout taking away too much rigidity of the rear. I'd guess the grill in the rear would also need to be reduced in size a little. Unless it's possible to cut out those parts post-bending.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
An additional benefit of this design is that the side and front panels can be made of a single sheet without wasting any material except the fan cutouts which gives you a lot of design flexibility. You could do little details like wrap the vent slots around the bends a bit or stuff like that.
The only issues I'm seeing here is that the frame of the fan will be exposed on the top and bottom and that I don't see an easy way of attaching the two pieces that doesn't induce a lot of wasted material.

Other than that, this is the best iteration of the design so far, at least in my opinion.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
looks good. Regarding a components repository, JexMckean over on Bit-tech has an old one but he stopped taking submissions. I will discuss with staff if we want to do a SFF orientated one here :)

Thanks a lot. Please, let me know if you create a repository.

Fan as a structural element, nice!

That's a nice design and it might be easy to manufacture. I like the fan being the "fourth wall" and the bent tabs to attach it to.

The only issue I see (not that I'm an expert) is the I/O backplate cutout taking away too much rigidity of the rear. I'd guess the grill in the rear would also need to be reduced in size a little. Unless it's possible to cut out those parts post-bending.

Thanks a lot. I think it will be better to make the cutout once the bending it done, to avoid them being streched during the bending process. I'll have to make some rigidity test though, hope it's not too thin.

An additional benefit of this design is that the side and front panels can be made of a single sheet without wasting any material except the fan cutouts which gives you a lot of design flexibility. You could do little details like wrap the vent slots around the bends a bit or stuff like that.
The only issues I'm seeing here is that the frame of the fan will be exposed on the top and bottom and that I don't see an easy way of attaching the two pieces that doesn't induce a lot of wasted material.

Other than that, this is the best iteration of the design so far, at least in my opinion.

Thanks a lot ! While watching my favorite vintage audio website, I just got the following idea :

This is a design similar to the vintage Marantz amplifier that had optional wood case inside of which you could "slide" the amp. Below is the same amplier with and without the wood case:

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh, that's actually rather nice. Sliding the skeleton inside the outer shell definitely is a nice idea and you could even make the front panel part of the shell so you only have to slide the skeleton inside and fix it at the back with a single screw.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Been adding smaller decoupling spikes from Monacor. I think it looks far better than the bigger ones from Viablue.

I'm wondering one thing. Should I orient the heatsink toward the fan (like on the left) or toward the exhaust grid (like on the right) ?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I vote for towards the fan to ensure the intake air goes through the heatsink.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I concur, place the fan closest to the heatsink (or vice-versa). But if you don't have Low Profile or VLP memory, it might not fit. I'm guessing there is still enough room at the top to have slots to mount an 2,5" SSD or HDD if you'd like to have it supported for future use.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I'm using VLP Crucial memory but I mesured a 27mm clearance above them. Concerning the 2.5" slot, I'm moving all my data to my NAS which will sooner or later be replaced by a proper file server. I'm more hesitating between M.2 or PCIe SSD, like the Intel 750 400GB (provided I can boot from it).

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I quite like the latest design for this. Mixing natural materials (wood or bamboo, and sometimes cloths) with computers is hard to do tastefully, but this is one of the better attempts I've seen. Have you thought about what to do with the front face, however? Cloth versus vents, or perhaps something else?

I agree that the heatsink should be oriented towards the front.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I quite like the latest design for this. Mixing natural materials (wood or bamboo, and sometimes cloths) with computers is hard to do tastefully, but this is one of the better attempts I've seen.

Thank you very much. Using natural materials is very important to me, as much as using energy efficient hardware. The DC-DC PSU as a efficiency of 94%, just have to buy or build my own efficient AC-DC PSU :).

Have you thought about what to do with the front face, however? Cloth versus vents, or perhaps something else?

Not yet sadly, but I'm pretty sure that an idea will pop-up sooner or later XD. My first idea was cloth, but it might just kill the air flow. Maybe a mix of cloth and vents. HEPA air filter could be great addition too.

I agree that the heatsink should be oriented towards the front.

I'm convinced of that now. I'll restore the support for a 120mm exhaust fan, better have it but not use it than not having it and needing one.

GuilleAcoustic

Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Lately, I've beem thinking about what this design would look if it was derivated into other form factor. Below is a first try at an mATX version of the case:

It still features a slide-in inner skeleton, but now the chassis is opened back, in order for the two 180mm front fans to push the air outside the chassis. I spent very little time in this, it was only to have a rough idea of the volume and the overall look. I have several ideas that I'd like to model before going further.

Important points:
  • Materials MUST come from local industries (sawmill, metallurgist, etc.)
  • Materials MUST be made from recycled ones, when possible
  • Materials MUST be natural (metal, wood, coton sleeving, etc.)
  • No plastic, no paint

Last edited: