Project RGBW Mini Planck

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Here's a early revision of a PCB I'm designing. I haven't routed it with Freerouter yet, so... It's a RGBW ortholinear keyboard. The LEDs will be mounted through the PCB. It has one LED per switch which totals up to 38 (actually it's 156, as RGBW) LEDs. But wait, there's underglow, so in each intersetion of 4 keys, there will be one LED package. In all there's 65 LEDs (180 LEDs), so yeah. I'll update this whenever I route it and when it's done and I get it produced. There are no mounting holes as it's going to be plate-mounted.
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/##@@=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00;&@=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00;&@=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00&=1.00;&@=1.00&=1.00&_w:1.5;&=1.50&_w:1.5;&=1.50&_w:1.5;&=1.50&_w:1.5;&=1.50&=1.00&=1.00
If you have any questions, just ask.

-HeroXLazer

Last edited:

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Very cool! I'm a keyboard newb myself, but am intrigued for sure! The RGBW design sounds cool, is that common? Can't wait to hear more!

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Very cool! I'm a keyboard newb myself, but am intrigued for sure! The RGBW design sounds cool, is that common? Can't wait to hear more!
RGBW isn't common. This is the first keyboard I've seen with per switch RGBW. The Miuni32 has RGBW underglow, but it doesn't have per switch RGBW. If you want to know what keyboard to buy PM me, if you haven't bought one already. :)

Reactions: Colinreay

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
RGBW isn't common. This is the first keyboard I've seen with per switch RGBW. The Miuni32 has RGBW underglow, but it doesn't have per switch RGBW. If you want to know what keyboard to buy PM me, if you haven't bought one already. :)

Aha, I haven't bought anything yet, I've been rocking my stock Microsoft keyboard for a few years, and "upgraded" to a free CM Devastator I got from a friend a year ago. I always told myself that I didn't want anything more, but I have to say I am quite interested in mech keyboards, especially going a DIY route. I'll send you a PM!

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Aha, I haven't bought anything yet, I've been rocking my stock Microsoft keyboard for a few years, and "upgraded" to a free CM Devastator I got from a friend a year ago. I always told myself that I didn't want anything more, but I have to say I am quite interested in mech keyboards, especially going a DIY route. I'll send you a PM!
Yeah, I'm currently rocking a Minivan R2. If you want to go DIY, you have to first pick a layout, and you have to decide if you're going to use a premade PCB or hand wire the thing. Hand wiring works if you want a fully custom layout, but you can use a PCB if you want to use a standard layout, and finally, you have to decide which switch you're going to use. I would recommend getting a switch tester. You should go for the 9 key switch tester on eBay. It's about $10. I hope this helps. :)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Did the MiniVan get too large for you? :D
Yeah, way too large, :) and it even doesn't have all the keys I want, as I only like using the keys that are on the keycaps, for some odd reason. Also, I've grown to get annoyed by the staggered layout it's not symmetrical and making me annoyed.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I am thinking about running a group buy for my custom designed keyboard. It's RGBW, it has underglow, it has per key switch lighting. I will be running the group buy with the PCB being hotswappable. Switches and keycaps will not be included. There will be a high profile wood case with a built in wrist rest. There will also be a brass plate. This is only MX-compatible. The prices have not been set yet, but the PCB will be assembled. I will update this when I figure that out.
Discussion and Pictures: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/project-rgbw-mini-planck.1647/
Form: https://******/forms/KblrXVlwfmmxL93f2

Reactions: Soul_Est and zovc

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
EDIT: I can include switches pretty cheaply. They'll be Gateron SMD switches. They'll cost 25 cents each depending on how many are ordered of a certain kind. They may cost more depending on how many switches people buy.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
It doesn't have a bottom row, I don't know what I would do with my thumbs, I like shift and space on the bottom row. You should make a RGB(W) Gherkin PCB. I could help you.
I'd be down for that. It supports LEDs, just standard SMD ones, not sure how I could make it work with RGB and controlling that.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Done, PM me if you want to do some RGBW working.
I'll do that if I'm successful with this or when I'm successful with this. Do you have any tips on running a group buy. I'm only going to limit to 15 units and 2 of them for me, so that it's simpler. I haven't posted on any other forums as I haven't routed it yet, so yeah...