Project: Hypercube

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Hey! Thought I'd start a little build log for my upcoming PC, and where else would be better than here?

Literally just got back from my local computer store in Akihabara and picked up my first part for the build. I'm essentially winging it as I go along, but I'll be picking up parts over the next couple of weeks to complement the build, and will keep this post/thread up to date with my acquisitions and final build.

For my build, I wanted to go as small as possible, without any compromises, which in my case means steering clear of PCI risers, and going for more traditional SFX power supplies. Not a knock against risers or pico PSUs, I just prefer the flexibility of off-the-shelf components.

So, now that the wait is over, here is the first part I've picked up for my build:

Pretty sure I'm one of the first people out there to have this bad boy, it sucks that I don't have anything to test it with for now, but I look forward to seeing reviews/benchmarks in the coming days.

It looks pretty much identical to the 1070 model in terms of PCB and cooler, and hopefully it doesn't make any compromises when it comes to the actual performance of the card.

Anyway, this is the first post of many, but I look forward to posting more and more over the coming days and weeks! Stay tuned :D

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Very nice. I am doing a build with Fire's MI-6 when he builds the case and will need an itx GPU, this one I am very interested in. I wish you had something to test it with because I would love to see how well it performs and how cooling is.

Looks like nVidia will be releasing a GTX 1070 Ti soon, I will be watching for an itx version of that one too.

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Very nice. I am doing a build with Fire's MI-6 when he builds the case and will need an itx GPU, this one I am very interested in. I wish you had something to test it with because I would love to see how well it performs and how cooling is.

Looks like nVidia will be releasing a GTX 1070 Ti soon, I will be watching for an itx version of that one too.

Yeah, unfortunately it's looking like I'm going to wait for Coffee Lake, so might be a week or two before I have the parts available to test out performance. I expect thermals/overclocking to be in line with the 1070 ITX, if not a little worse, but I'm sure it'll live up to my expectations. It's a very weighty card for it's size, so there's definitely some work done on the cooling side of things.

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
that's really cool, this is the first GTX 1080 itx that I saw with a customer. What coffee lake are playing to use?

Also, what case are you planning to use?

Reactions: coughlanio

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
that's really cool, this is the first GTX 1080 itx that I saw with a customer. What coffee lake are playing to use?

Also, what case are you planning to use?

I have an 8700K on preorder, but god only knows when that's coming in :(

I'll keep the case a secret for now, but I should be updating this thread in a day or two ;)

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

I knew the fan choice would give it away...

Yup :) No other SFF case supports such a fan (that I know of).

Please post a lot of pictures, as the LZ7 is a case that is in my radar, even though I would have to sell my 1080 STRIX and get a mini-version but it simply looks different than the rest. It stands out in a good way.

Oh, and didn't even know that the Z370 Strix supports 2 x M.2. Good to know.

PS: I also couldn't find an 8700K so I got a 8350K as a place holder. Will see how it works.

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Yup :) No other SFF case supports such a fan (that I know of).

Please post a lot of pictures, as the LZ7 is a case that is in my radar, even though I would have to sell my 1080 STRIX and get a mini-version but it simply looks different than the rest. It stands out in a good way.

Oh, and didn't even know that the Z370 Strix supports 2 x M.2. Good to know.

PS: I also couldn't find an 8700K so I got a 8350K as a place holder. Will see how it works.

Will do!

Yeah, still waiting on the 8700K to ship from Amazon, no idea when it'll be coming in which sucks. If I can find an 8700 in stock before then, I might just opt for it.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Which cooler do you want to use with the i7-8700K? It's a very hot CPU.

Ooooh, I cant wait to see this. That case is going to be awesome...I might actually consider that now.

Like Wesbl said, what cooler?

I'll likely be using an NH-L12 with the CPU undervolted and/or underclocked. I probably should have gone for the i7-8700, but the K model gives me more flexibility if I decide to change cases in the future. Thermals hopefully won't be an issue.

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Just got a delivery estimate from Amazon.com for my 8700K, should be shipping this Wednesday, with delivery due over the weekend. Now I just need to pick up the power supply and CPU cooler!

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I'll likely be using an NH-L12 with the CPU undervolted and/or underclocked. I probably should have gone for the i7-8700, but the K model gives me more flexibility if I decide to change cases in the future. Thermals hopefully won't be an issue.

You have also to consider thermal throttle, Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B performs better than Noctua.

Why that one and not the Cryorig C7? Just curious.

Cryorig C7 is loudy, if loudness is not a problem, better choose something like Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B, better performance, almost the same noise and space between socket and cooler for better airflow.