Project Amphitrite - A fully submerged, oil cooled enclousure

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
I assume you're going to remove the PSU fan, given that it's built to push air around, not a more viscous fluid like oil. How will you stop the PSU from assuming there's a fan failure and powering off?

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
I assume you're going to remove the PSU fan, given that it's built to push air around, not a more viscous fluid like oil. How will you stop the PSU from assuming there's a fan failure and powering off?
From my research there is really no need to remove fans. It will definitely spin slower, but it won't do any damage to the fan at all since they have electric motors, which really just use magnets to move things around :p

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Hmm
Has anyone done any tests on which type of fan would be more efficient for moving a more viscous fluid: flow rate optimized vs static pressure optimized?

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hmm
Has anyone done any tests on which type of fan would be more efficient for moving a more viscous fluid: flow rate optimized vs static pressure optimized?
I think static pressure optimized will do better, but don't quote me on that :p

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
IIRC from the Puget articles, oil actually benefits from an increased contact time with a heat-exchange surface, so you don't really need to move the oil that quickly through the sinks or radiators. Especially if you're going to have a bubble system. I thought that the Puget articles would have clarified this point.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
IIRC, for purely 'dumb' voltage controlled fans immersing them in oil is not a problem: they will receive the same power, and just spin more slow.y. But if the fan control uses feedback, then there may be a problem: the fan controller will sense that the fan is spinning far below its target speed, and attempt to keep increasing the voltage until the fan is at the 'correct' speed. Because the oil wills prevent this from happening, the controller will end up just applying the maximum possible voltage all the time. Depending on the assumptions made during controller design, this could result in anything from merely running the fan continuously at its peak rated power, to overloading the fan if the controller fails to properly cap power (e.g. if the controller was designed assuming it would only be compensating for small fan variance).

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Rendering with liquid&transparent panels take sooooo long, 4 hours in and this is the result:

Still not perfect :p will wait for longer..

Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Why is the SSD outside the case... just more holes (data/power) to worry about leaking, no? I think having only the radiator and the coolant tubes coming out of the case keeps it very clean at these viewable areas/sides. Love your idea and rendering thus far.

Reactions: cmyk78