Motherboard Problems with x570 and USB

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
Hi friends.

I´m having a big problem with my x570 motherboards that is making me loose my nerves, and it´s that it keeps disconnecting the USB randomly, which is a HUGE pain in the ass because I cannot use a wireless mouse or keyboard properly, not even talk about an external hard disk or plugging the phone to the computer and try to copy some files.

I have to say that at first the problem was not so bad, but it is very random and it keeps appearing through different bios upgrades and also in two motherboards I have the gigabyte x570i and the ASUS Rog whatever x570 itx. I also have tried two power supplies (silverstone sfx-l 800w and corsair sfx 750w) and I´ve mounted the pc over the just in case it was some kind of short/ground problem with the case (ncase M1) The ram, cpu and gpu are always the same. I´ve remounted the cpu like 12 times with different pressures to make sure is not something related to excessive or lack of pressure on it....

Also I looked for the problem on youtube, there are more people like me, and a youtube guy solved it apparently turning off a save energy feature on windows (but my windows doesnt have all the options that the video showed so couldn´t do it exactly as he said)... didn´t work on me. Also buildzoid did a video showing some bios configurations that I´ve tried without luck (again, not ITX motherboards, but still).... no luck again.

Honestly I don´t know what else to do, I don´t expect to find a solution all of a sudden, but is there a thread on reddit (or somewhere else) I can trust and read to try different solutions? Or is this problem recognized as such and there is a new bios version that solves it (I gave up on that 3 months ago or so) ANY info to go and read is appreciated.

p.s. I almost forgot the noctua nf-a 12x25 turns on whenever it wants. With the asus motherboard it works better than the gigabyte, but neither do it 100% ok. I´ve solved this with an external controller, but .... man, these motherboards are expensive, they should just WORK.

Thanks in advance

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
FWIW, don't have this issue....but on GamersNexus, their last HW News video mentioned AMD has recognized and is looking into USB problems. They're asking for and seeking more effected users contact them with their bugged hardware configs.

Reactions: Phuncz

evadne

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2020
It’s broken indeed. I run all USB devices off a Thunderoblt 3 dock now, not an issue. All workarounds imperfect with unacceptable trade-offs. Best wait for AMD to fix.

FYI r/AMD thread

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So far AMD is still investigating. But, summarizing various users' reports, the most likely culprit is a PCIe 4.0 'bug'.
So, one has to wait and see for an official solution.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
ok thank you very much for your help. I´ll look into that reddit thread and will report to AMD my problems if possible. I don´t use reddit at all, it seems, that there´s almost everything there. Lets hope they find a solution soon, because at least for me it´s getting worse with time.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
ok thank you very much for your help. I´ll look into that reddit thread and will report to AMD my problems if possible. I don´t use reddit at all, it seems, that there´s almost everything there. Lets hope they find a solution soon, because at least for me it´s getting worse with time.
For start try switching to gen3, that seems to be the solution for most people now.

Reactions: paulesko

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I'm quite fortunate in that the 3 X570 boards I have used have 0 USB problems, the PCIE slot was always set to Gen.4 since I used the 5700XT.

Suggest you follow this official Twitter account to keep up to date with new AGESA versions.

Reactions: paulesko

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
So far, I have changed my bios settings to put every pci-e lane in gen 3 mode, and it´s working fine 😍 thanks god. It´s been only one morning of use, but so far so good. I´ll keep reporting.

Thank you everyone, specially @riba2233 for the advice.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
I have the same issue on X-470I since a few months, started with the bios updates from late 2020. For now I'm powering my external drives with a 5volt phone charger.

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
This might not be applicable to the context and might not even be the same issue, but I had issues with some midi USB devices which were not registering at all and the solution was to use a passive usb hub. Using an aorus x570i