CPU Problem with my 3900x

lei16

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Mar 13, 2020
Hey everyone !

I just finished assembling a my new build in the Ghost S1 the NH-L12 Ghost S1 edition cooler.

I've had a few problems, if I leave the 3900x stock I'll idle around 70 degrees wich seems pretty warm.

Undervolting to 1.1v gives me a 50 degrees idle temp wich is perfectly fine for me.

From what I saw online, and mainly this video, people seem to be able to undervolt their chips and retain good clock speeds. 1.1 volt in Ryzen Master gives me a nice 80 degree max under sustained load operating temp, but it won't go past 3.8Ghz, comparing to the multiple sources I have seen running it 0.2 / 0.3 Ghz higher than that.

My computer will shutdown without ever hitting temperature limits (will shutdown around 80/85 degrees)
It seems users also report being able to undervolt the chip to 1v wich seems to give me an instant BSOD no matter the speed of the cores

Leaving the voltage untouched or even increasing it I can't seem to be able to ever 4.1 or break 7000 in cinebench, as the computer will still shutdown before hitting 95 degrees my temp limit

Am I missing something very obvious ?

Here are my specs :

3900x // x570-i strix // 2x32gb ram @ 3600mhz // sf750 // 2080ti

Cheers <3

Ateles

Efficiency Noob
Jan 20, 2021
Same situation here. Got a 3900X recently and it's always quite warm. There are official statements saying this is totally okay (just found the one for Ryzen 5000, there's another post regarding 3000 I think) nethertheless it's a little bit much for the Wraith Prism because I don't want it to be that loud.

I tried the Eco mode in Ryzen Master - it restricts the 3900X to 90W power draw (instead of 145W). Restricting the Package Power Tracking (PPT) seems to be much more efficient than undervolting: see here and here. Eco mode is one click and a Windows restart, multicore performance was about 14% lower while saving 38% power (Cinebench, just quick testing). It's still faster than the octacore so I'm right now happy about this mode. Only downside: in normal mode temperature spikes went up to 95°C, in eco mode I also had 103-105°C for very short times - probably single cores. I'm about getting a better cooler first and I'll do some more testing later on.