Log Problems with b550i aorus pro ax

Mafiaskafia

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Hello, so I'm building an itx machine with a ryzen 5900 and a 3080 on the ncase m1 and, at first, i managed to boot the machine/windows normally, however, one of the pci cables was blocking one of the fans making the cpu idle temperature around 70c. So... in order to fix that i re-arranged the GPU pcie cables a little bit. This time however, the computer didn't POST... This is what's happening:
  • Fans are spinning
  • 3080 light is up
  • Mobo light turned off
  • Can turn the computer on, but can't use the power button to turn it off
  • No strange noises
This is what i tried already:
  • Flashing the bios with the latest bios update. Didn't work. Tried with the previous update, also didn't work. Was expecting the bios update to take 3-5min with some fan movement, but there was none, and the update process lasted around 1-2 min (orange light blinked the entire time).
  • Resetting the CMOS with a jumper. Also didn't do anything.
  • Disassembling the entire computer apart from the CPU, seeing as it's glued to the cooler. Same problem as before.

I'm running out of ideas, but i have a feeling this is bios related and not some faulty hardware, seeing as it worked just fine before i touched the pcie cables. I also turned on the XMP RAM profile but can't remember if i tested if afterwards (this was at 6am and really wanted to go to sleep :D), so maybe that has triggered something. Do you guys had any similar experience?

gergl

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
I'm using this board and it does have some quirks. I've also had it not shut down with the power button, while tuning RAM. I also had no luck clearing the BIOS with the jumper. Instead I have to disconnect the little white CMOS battery connector, wait several seconds, and then reconnect it. Another thing to try if you are using a riser cable is to force the PCIe slot to Gen3, the riser cable might not be able to run at Gen4 speed. Aside from these quirks it's been stable in my experience, I've done a lot of RAM and CPU tweaking (5600x, Micron VLP RAM, 1660ti on a riser cable), and clearing the CMOS by disconnecting the battery has always gotten me back into the BIOS to fix things.

Reactions: PixelatedScraps

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Jan 26, 2021
I have two of these boards (one with a 5600x in an M1 v6.1, the second with a 5900x in an NR200). The board is VERY finicky and I've had both rigs fail to post properly (and very similar symptoms as yours) after swapping in different RAM sticks. For me, setting RAM voltage is a necessity - not just loading the XMS profile. That, and clearing the CMOS by pulling out the white power cable after removing the VRM / backplate shroud.