Power Supply Price Check - Small 200W AC-DC Brick

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Samples are due to be ready in June. I have asked for both 12V and 19V variants and will be having them brutally stress tested before I even think of ordering anything. I'd say end of Summer at the earliest.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
@Kmpkt There's another potential use case for these. There are some boards that support 12V EPS input, like Mini ITX SuperMicro server boards. Some use 4pin, others 8pin. Powering these directly (using an external 4-pin input with a conversion to EPS internally) would be a neat way to power these server boards from a brick and eliminate an internal power supply entirely. I was looking at using the trusty Dell DA-2 brick for this, which provides 3x 12v rails. Folks interested in tiny SuperMicro VMware clusters (there's a whole community around the Xeon D boards) for home labs might dig these adapters for noise reasons.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pretty sure it would be easy to provide a 4 pin DIN to 4+4 EPS adapter cable for these use cases. Will put that on the radar.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@Kmpkt can you post the pinout specs? I'll include an adapter in the future plugin 160W.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

marcosopeth

Efficiency Noob
Feb 12, 2019
Hello! I just bought an HDplex 200w DC-ATX and i was looking for a good 180~300w AC-DC power supply. Thank you guys for sharing this informations.

I'm from Brazil.

I think i'll buy the Dell 240w Slim power brick from website:

this one costs R$ 400 ( around $ 85 )

There is also this slim model:

this one is R$ 100 more expensive ( around $ 21)

Which one should I buy? Recommendetions please?

Thanks guys !!

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Hello! I just bought an HDplex 200w DC-ATX and i was looking for a good 180~300w AC-DC power supply. Thank you guys for sharing this informations.

I'm from Brazil.

I think i'll buy the Dell 240w Slim power brick from website:

Carregador Dell - 240 Watt | Dell Brasil
this one costs R$ 400 ( around $ 85 )

There is also this slim model:

Carregador Dell - 240 Watts (barrel 7.4mm/modelo E5) | Dell
this one is R$ 100 more expensive ( around $ 21)

Which one should I buy? Recommendetions please?

Thanks guys !!
Since you're all in into the AC-DC setup, I suggest you to buy the 330w one. It's R$29 more expensive than your main choice, but you have headroom for any power peaks your setup is able to reach.

Reactions: marcosopeth

marcosopeth

Efficiency Noob
Feb 12, 2019
Since you're all in into the AC-DC setup, I suggest you to buy the 330w one. It's R$29 more expensive than your main choice, but you have headroom for any power peaks your setup is able to reach.

I'm afraind of buying the Dell 330w because the website pictures of this is like a 130w model, I never see the 330w model slim, i think they mistake images.

So if i buy 330w i might receive the BIG power brick like this one: https://www.newegg.com/p/16J-0183-03BV3

And i wanted something more slim and small...

But i'll consider this! Thanks your reply my friend!

marcosopeth

Efficiency Noob
Feb 12, 2019
@Lone

Thanks for the size comparison. The Dell is 155mm x 76mm x 30mm if that helps.

@robbee

GaN stands for Gallium Nitride which is a replacement for Silicon based materials in power systems. The simple way to look at it is that GaN based units will (as technology improves) allow MUCH smaller AC-DC units than are currently available. It also allows much higher levels of efficiency (the unit I am looking at is rated at 95% typical efficiency while the HDPlex 200W AC-DC is rated for 85% efficiency). The unit I am hoping to offer would be one of the first GaN based AC-DC adapters to hit the market at > 65W.

Longer term I would love to be able to offer "micro bricks" with a wattage of 150-200W @ 12V that are summable at the DC-DC unit (ie. up to three units could be summed) and are approximately the size of 2.5" SSDs. GaN will hopefully make this an eventual reality.

Hello my friend! Do you know the sizes of this one?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The Adapter Technology GaN 200W AC adapters are available from Digi-key under the CUI brand. Unfortunately, they're priced very high... but they're so tiny!

Last edited:

riser

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 9, 2020
Hi, take a look at this one:

200W GaN ~$90

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hi, take a look at this one:

200W GaN ~$90

That's the one at a much better price, thank you!

EDIT: I see now this is 20V, and not 12V.