Preparation for a v4 build

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Hi Guys, I'm brand new to the group just registered today.

I'm also new at pc building, I was watching YouTube and decided to search for "how to build your own pc". After watching quite a few I decided to go for it. Last month I completed a very basic build with a Ryzen 3 200g. Here is a list of what I used https://pcpartpicker.com/user/91Mackmr2/saved/, sorry I haven't learn how to make a link.

Well, the build was success. I was and still so happy on how fast things are working. Once I hit enter, whatever I was searching for immediately appears on the screen. On my laptop, I could hit enter, then go make a cup of coffee, come back and the screen is still searching. Since the first build worked so well, I want to build another one, but with more performance.

So, I started searching for parts, which I love doing, unfortunately income is very limited, so it's imperative that what I buy, I hope will be the correct part and work well. I want to keep the "try this part to see if will work" to a minimum, I simply can't afford it.

I started to look for a case I wanted to use and Fractal Design R6 became my first choice, but, just to make sure there wasn't another case I might like better, I continued to look. As I continued to look, I began to notice these cute little cases and thought how cool it would be to attempt building a small pc. I decided on a Silverstone sg05, because of the price and practicality, also save money for components.

Then, I came across a Dan a4 sfx, and I said WOW! Oh yes this is the case I want and proceeded to find where I can buy one. Then I found it BAM! there it was, followed by OMG! this thing is way more expensive compare to the Silverstone there's no way I can afford such a nice and sleek looking case, so that dream of a Dan case vanished into thin air. unfortunately, I couldn't stop going back to admire the Dan case, again and again until finally I jumped all in the pool and pre-ordered a black v4, I'm so excited to see it in my hands.

After reading post after post on Dan case on this forum, I feel like I just found a new home. People here are so nice to freely give their advice and recommendation, so please help me make this build a pleasant experience.

This is what I am planning on:
Ryzen 7 3700x 65W When it becomes available.
Motherboard your recommendation with the M-2 NVME in front. I don't know how to overclock. Do I plug the type c to the HDMI 3.1 header?
645 LT AIO which I received today, but I really want to use an air cooler for simplicity and air flow, HN-L9a or Black Ridge w/120 mm fan.
1600 GB LP memory 3000, 3200 or a great deal on a 32GB set. Recommendation please
250 GB M-2 NVME Your recommendation please
2.5 SSD I have no Idea which to get.
NVIDIA RTX 2070 FE I just love how that gpu look, RTX 2060 FE in no where to be found otherwise I would get that.
Corsair SF 600 Platinum

That should be it, what do think?

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Heya,

Looks like a nice well balanced config :)

If you want to use the Black Ridge w/120 mm fan you need Very Low Profil DDR4 take a look here : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/very-low-profile-ddr4-ram.9258/

What's your usecase for needing 32GB of RAM ?
I don't really know, I have 16gb in my first build, so I guess the next step up is 32gb, maybe to keep the build future proof. I've been looking, but cannot find any 3000 or 3200 VLP rams. I understand Ryzen likes fast memory.

NH-L9a with fan duct, do you feel it will be just as effective as Black Ridge w/120 mm fan?

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
No I don't think so. Black Ridge w/120 is much more effective than NH-9a/i because it cools also the MB/VRM/RAM/M2...

Reactions: 91Mackmr2

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
From the looks of the upcoming x570 motherboards you are not going to be able to use the Black Ridge, all of the motherboards have extremely tall VRM cooling heatsinks that will interfere with mounting the Black Ridge. You already have the 645 LT AIO which will give you better cooling than either the NH-L9a or the Black Ridge.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
You don't need a x570 board to run a Ryzen 7 3700x.

Also, imo, it will be possible to remove the tall mb x570 heatsinks. But it has to be seen....

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
The FE (at least my RTX 2060) seems to generate a lot of noise in the DAN A4 SFX, even for an axial fan design. I'd venture the fan blades are just turbulent for their type. More noise in every way than my old GTX 780 Ti blower (that the RTX2060 replaced).

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The problem of the RTX FE cards is the high idle rpm speed that cant be changed. If you boot the system the card is very silent after the driver is loaded the card is very noisy.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
The FE (at least my RTX 2060) seems to generate a lot of noise in the DAN A4 SFX, even for an axial fan design. I'd venture the fan blades are just turbulent for their type. More noise in every way than my old GTX 780 Ti blower (that the RTX2060 replaced).
From the looks of the upcoming x570 motherboards you are not going to be able to use the Black Ridge, all of the motherboards have extremely tall VRM cooling heatsinks that will interfere with mounting the Black Ridge. You already have the 645 LT AIO which will give you better cooling than either the NH-L9a or the Black Ridge.
What's the advantages the X570 have over the B450?

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
The problem of the RTX FE cards is the high idle rpm speed that cant be changed. If you boot the system the card is very silent after the driver is loaded the card is very noisy.
Hello Dan, I was hoping you would show up. Thanks for your time as well as all the others. Dan what do you think is the best way to cool the cpu, motherboard components, and the case it self?

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Will the Ryzen 7 work fine with 2666hz vlp ram, will it be sacrificing a lot, not going with 3000 or 3200?

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
What's your plan for the RTX 2060 FE?

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
What B450 motherboard will work with Black Ridge w/120mm fan?
You also mentioned wanting the m2 on the front. The Asus Strix b450i has that and will work with the Black Ridge, however you will have to remove the heatsink that is on top of the m2 slot. No big deal really.

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
The gigabyte board looks like it might just work, but it will be close. I've asked a gigabyte rep for the height of that heatsink but haven't heard back yet :(

When I get my processor, I think I'll see if my vendor will let me inspect the gigabyte x570 and place the black ridge on it to see if it will work before I buy. Otherwise, I'm getting the Asus b450i

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
You also mentioned wanting the m2 on the front. The Asus Strix b450i has that and will work with the Black Ridge, however you will have to remove the heatsink that is on top of the m2 slot. No big deal really.

Thank you, so removing the m-2 heatsink will not create a problem, also did the cooler include the 120 mm fan?

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
What's your plan for the RTX 2060 FE?
At the moment, I have offset the side GPU panel 1cm. You can find a series of spacers for the A4 SFX on Thingiverse, or design your own. In the medium run, a custom side panel is the way (for me) to go. The V4 case makes that last part easier to achieve, with it's predrilled side panel screw points. My V3 case is a bit harder in this regard, so I went with the spacer. In the long run, I intend to replace the RTX 2060 sooner than I have ever considered replaced a GPU.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Would it be okay to use Corsair sf 600w 80+ Gold vise the 80+ Platinum version? What is the big difference between the two, besides the sleeved cables and efficiency rating?

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Sounds OK to me. According to your config the 450W PSU could work too.

In addition to what you have listed, I think you can add noise. The fan start later and lesser on the platinum.

Sleeved cables make a big difference, especially if you're going with a watercooling.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
I'll build on a B450 board, because :

Pros :
- it fits on DAN Case A4 with a Blackridge (X570 heatsinks are too high)
- I don't need PCIe 4 at all since atm high end gfx use only full PCIe 3 x8 lane, it'll need some time before it uses full PCIe 3 x16 lane so before it uses PCIe 4 x16...
- The speed of NVMe PCIe 3 x4 SSD is enough for me
- I won't have active cooling
- It makes me save some money to invest on a better gfx card

Cons :
- My RAM will clock slower
- ...?