Recommended RTX 2080 for Dan A4 SFX V4 Case?

JoeNinety3

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
Hi guys! I am very excited knowing that my Dan case has been shipped and I will be able to begin building my new pc soon.

After a lot of research, I have decided on settling for an RTX 2080 over the 2080 Ti version, performance increase isn't justifiable for my pockets..

In any case, I'd like to know of the after market RTX 2080's, which will offer the best thermals/performance?

I've looked through the list of compatible cards but am struggling to get a consensus on which card is best... I don't have a budget for the RTX 2080, just want to go for what's 'best'. I'm aware the case is small which is the biggest selling point for me.

I'm hoping to game at 1440p, ideally ultra settings wherever possible. (Anthem, Destiny 2, Warframe, Battlefield etc)

Other components are the following:

CPU: i7 8700(non k)
GPU: ?
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-I
PSU: Corsair 750w SFX
SSD: Samsung Evo M.2 - 1TB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) @2666Ghz

Thanks in advance! Sorry, I'm relatively new to pc building. Made one years ago when I was a student, although it was a budget one.

Appreciate your help :)

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Your choice would be 2-slot 2080s. I've read that the Gigabyte 2080 Windforce performs better than EVGA 2080 XC.
I found that the best blower 2080 would be the ASUS 2080 Turbo. Since the exhaust uses the entire one-slot lane. Other blower cards has a DVI port on the exhaust slot. (But since it was out of my budget, I personally went with the 2070 Turbo)

If you can wait a month or so, the "RTX 2080 Super" will be equivalent to the performance a non-OC 2080Ti, with the MSRP of a 2080.
(https://videocardz.com/81046/nvidia-geforce-rtx-20-super-series-to-launch-mid-july)

Just to add, with those specs you'd be fine with a SF600 power supply. (https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator)

JoeNinety3

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
Your choice would be 2-slot 2080s. I've read that the Gigabyte 2080 Windforce performs better than EVGA 2080 XC.
I found that the best blower 2080 would be the ASUS 2080 Turbo. Since the exhaust uses the entire one-slot lane. Other blower cards has a DVI port on the exhaust slot. (But since it was out of my budget, I personally went with the 2070 Turbo)

If you can wait a month or so, the "RTX 2080 Super" will be equivalent to the performance a non-OC 2080Ti, with the MSRP of a 2080.
(https://videocardz.com/81046/nvidia-geforce-rtx-20-super-series-to-launch-mid-july)

Just to add, with those specs you'd be fine with a SF600 power supply. (https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator)

Hey Unknown Behemoth,

Thanks for taking your time to reply. I found it difficult to get comparisons on how the different compatible gpu’s that fit in the Dan A4 SFX V4 compete with one another on performance, thermals, noise etc.

Are you suggesting that the Gigabyte Windforce 2080 is the best open-air gpu for the Dan?

Additionally, between blower and open air, I know it seems to be split as to which is best... what’s your card like with temps/noise/performance?

Regarding the new RTX “Supers”, I’m curious. Many people claim the FE for the RTX 2080 to perform badly with thermals.. so maybe I’ll wait a bit to see if they’ve made improvements on it, I doubt it though seeing as it’s likely to be the same. Otherwise I’ll have to wait and see reviews for the new aftermarket “2080 Supers”.

As for the PSU, the 750w is only $29 more and will be more future proof should I be upgrading anything in the near future. Hopefully it’ll run quieter too than the 600w :)

Appreciate your input.

Thanks again!

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
I had been planning to get the Windforce, I think it would be the best open-air for the A4 from what I've read.
But then my local store stocked the ASUS Turbo, it was $100~ cheaper where I'm from too, so I got it.
And it was around the release of the Asetek 645 AIO, which would introduce heat inside the case.
Blower cards will let heat out of the case quicker, but it will be noisier.

in my opinion, since you're using a 8700 you'd be fine with a NH-L9i cpu cooler, so if you get an open-air GPU you could use 92mm fans on the bottom of the case to help with the airflow.

Reactions: JoeNinety3

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
The 600 watt corsair platinum runs quieter than the 750 just FYI.

I prefer blower cards with SFF cases. That said, the triple fan duel slot gigabytes are usually good.

The 2080FE, which I own, is ok in the thermals. However, the backplate is huge, and may cause interference. Additionally, I litterally burned my hand on my cards backplate the other day. If the airflow doesn't allow heat escape, that card gets hot fast.

JoeNinety3

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
Thanks a lot all of you for your input, I ended up opting for the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce OC and completed my build earlier today - hence the slow reply :)

Got everything up and running, no hiccups!

Earlier I was running Anthem earlier at 1440p, High settings and was getting good performance but a quick question regarding thermals.

I noted that with my build my CPU + GPU were reaching max temps of 74C whilst playing... considering this is such a small case, is this a 'safe' operating temperature for extended play times?

My cable management was good and I have yet to purchase a 92mm fan to mount on the bottom of the case. Will the additional fan help much with the thermals?

I know lower is always preferred, just want to make sure i'm not potentially damaging anything inside the case.

Thanks again!

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Your temps are fine. The GPU doesn’t even normally reduce clocks until 84-87C. Ive run mine at 84C for the last year with hundreds of hours of gaming, and overclocked to about 2GHZ.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm currently running one of Zotac's dual slot twin-fan 2080's which was extremely affordable and is running great - really quiet even at load as the fans have a very unoffensive sound.

This would probably be a good option in the Dan, otherwise something like the EVGA Black models are also good and potentially the base model Gigabyte Windforce cards - although I've never liked the fans they use and you may find they start to rattle pretty quickly.

I'd still get the Zotac if I was in your position due to the affordability of it and the great cooler it uses.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
I'm currently running one of Zotac's dual slot twin-fan 2080's which was extremely affordable and is running great - really quiet even at load as the fans have a very unoffensive sound.

This would probably be a good option in the Dan, otherwise something like the EVGA Black models are also good and potentially the base model Gigabyte Windforce cards - although I've never liked the fans they use and you may find they start to rattle pretty quickly.

I'd still get the Zotac if I was in your position due to the affordability of it and the great cooler it uses.

Which Zotac 2080 is it you have?