Potential 4.7L SFF PC build advice request

Vardas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Greetings! After a long and confusing journey I have put together a list of components that I think should be suitable with each other in a SFF PC.
Since it's the first time I build a PC and pick parts, any form of advice, criticism and suggestions would be appreciated. Question anything you feel questionable here.

This PC is for the old, new and also upcoming games to play at 1080p 60fps, such as modded skyrim/witcher 3/batman arkham knight, Cyberpunk, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Stalker 2 etc. as well as 2D and 3D rendering, video editing and working in game engines such as Unity and UE4.
I'm not into maxing the graphics out in games, but if the system can handle it, then I'll do it.
I do not plan to do any overclocking or tweaks to the system, but if you think I could/should with or without changing any of the parts below, feel free to suggest.
Budget is $1k and below.

Case: FX stl 4.7L (225mm x 190mm x 110mm) from Custom Mod - https://www.custmod.com/stranica-tovara/fx-stl-4-7l

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU cooler - advice needed (should be 48mm or below in height). I guess something from deepcool or noctua are the way to go?
(possible candidate: Titan ttc-nc25tz/pw/v2(rb))
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1660 Ti StormX (NE6166T018J9-161F) (168mm x 122mm x 40mm, should fit)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC (someone told me long ago that this motherboard in particular is very reliable compared to the others, but isn't the best if I decide to overclock my components)
RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z DDR4 2x8Gb (TLZRD416G3000HC16CDC01)
2.5 SSD for system: Kingston A400 SA400S37/960G 960 GBs - plan to split in 2 equal partitions, one for system and programs, the other for projects.
M.2 SSD (optional): Leven JM600 JM600M2-2280 1TB - for games and media.

PSU: FSP Flex Guru 300W

Also, since I prefer to use UPS or a voltage regulator, but can't really carry them around in a backpack, I use this extension socket with surge protection that can fit in it - https://www.brennenstuhl.com/en-DE/...-with-surge-protection-4-way-3m-h05vv-f-3g1-5
has anyone else used this or similar items? Or perhaps there are better alternatives, if any are actually needed?

Last edited:
Reactions: bnkl

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Can't really comment on some of your questions, but for the CPU cooler, cryorig c7cu/g (with fan swap for quieter performance), axp90, and blackridge are all solid options for <48mm cooling. They can be a little expensive, but they are some of the best coolers you'll get for the size. :)

Vardas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Can't really comment on some of your questions, but for the CPU cooler, cryorig c7cu/g (with fan swap for quieter performance), axp90, and blackridge are all solid options for <48mm cooling. They can be a little expensive, but they are some of the best coolers you'll get for the size. :)
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I believe these are the way to go, although not easy to find in my country (which is insane because all the manufacturers you listed aren't there in the search checkboxes in online stores in my area). I did find some aftermarket cryorig c7, asked the seller about the full model name and how long he's been using it.

I have also updated the list with Ryzen 7 2700X, found it more preferable for workstation use, although it will require more cooling (105 TDP instead of 65 in Ryzen 5 2600). Hope this CPU is still realistic to use in a SFF PC.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
What country? That will not be an easy chip to cool at stock settings. It might be wise to try to undervolt.

The axp90 can be purchased from taobao. Or through a taobao agent like superbuy.com or bhiner.com.

Vardas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
It's Ukraine. Does undervolting help with the power consumption as well as temperatures?

Vardas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
I've done some search on retailers in my loaction and found one particular cooler, Titan ttc-nc25tz/pw/v2(rb) with max tdp of 130W and height of 46mm, which should fit in my case nicely. Unfortunately, I failed to find any detailed reviews about this cooler, only the documentation says that it's supposed to cool the Ryzen 7 2700X. Sent a message to a few retailers stating my concerns. Perhaps anyone else here is familiar with this cooler?

Vardas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
After doing more research I decided to roll with R5 3600 rather than R7 2700x. While R7 2700X is faster in rendering and a few other tasks, R5 3600 is faster in everything else, and isn't that slower than 2700x in tasks where more cores give the advantage. R5 3600 is also a lot cooler (65 tdp) so I won't have troubles keeping it cool in such a small case. I decided to leave the cpu cooler the same because it's relatively cheap (~$30), max tdp is 130W so it will get a lot of headroom, might also help with noise.

New generation of ryzen benefits from different ram settings now, but the ones that give the best performance are really pricey, while I'd like to keep the total ram cost equal or below $100. If you know of better ram I can get than the one I edited into the main post, I would really appreciate the info.

Also changed the PSU. That new product from FSP looks very promising and similar to seasonic ssp-300sug, but also appears to be much more quiet as shown in the recent review from Custom Mod (posted it here https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/flex-psu-fsp-guru-300w.12095/ )

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
You can give the boxed cooler on the R5 3600 a chance... ;)

I have the same case and an Flex-ATX unit was no option for me.