Advice Building a Cerberus -- a request for hand holding!

qKX6V82

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 1, 2020
Hi all! Thanks in advance for any guidance on my first ever PC build. Details below.

I'm hoping someone chime in to answer these questions I have:
  • Does this fan setup seem like a good plan?
  • The Strix Z490-I has the following I/O for fans. Can I achieve this fan setup?
1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x AIO_PUMP connector
  • Any thoughts for improving the whole cooling setup?
  • I wouldn't mind adding one or two 2.5" SSDs. Is there a good place for them?
  • Have any other suggestions in general?
Build details so far:

• Cerberus w/ vented panels
  • Intel i5-10600K 4.1 GHz
  • NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming
  • ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)
  • 2x Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Corsair SF600
  • 2x Noctua NF-A12x15 120mm
  • 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm

Thanks again!

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Hi all! Thanks in advance for any guidance on my first ever PC build. Details below.

I'm hoping someone chime in to answer these questions I have:
  • Does this fan setup seem like a good plan?
  • The Strix Z490-I has the following I/O for fans. Can I achieve this fan setup?
1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x AIO_PUMP connector
  • Any thoughts for improving the whole cooling setup?
  • I wouldn't mind adding one or two 2.5" SSDs. Is there a good place for them?
  • Have any other suggestions in general?
Build details so far:

• Cerberus w/ vented panels
  • Intel i5-10600K 4.1 GHz
  • NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming
  • ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)
  • 2x Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Corsair SF600
  • 2x Noctua NF-A12x15 120mm
  • 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm

Thanks again!

Does this fan setup seem like a good plan?

Fan setup should be fine; it's a fairly standard Cerberus configuration

The Strix Z490-I has the following I/O for fans. Can I achieve this fan setup?

Maybe. If the AIO has fan headers you can run the 25mm fans on the radiator using that, and one header on the motherboard for each for the remaining 3 case fans. If not, I'd suggest picking up an Aquacomputer Quadro (~$40) to manage your fans as it has exactly 4 headers and with a Y-splitter attached to the radiator fans that's exactly how many you'd need--and bonus, you can use the amazing Aquasuite to manage them ?

I wouldn't mind adding one or two 2.5" SSDs. Is there a good place for them?

The Cerberus has mounting points for two of them towards the front of the case. You can also utilize unused "infinite vent" space to mount them

3x Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm

You'll need something like the NA-SFMA1 to mount the NF-A12x25's to your 280mm radiator. You won't be able to use these for the rear vent as it's either 80mm or 92mm (I've got my PSU mounted there instead).

Reactions: qKX6V82

qKX6V82

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 1, 2020
Fan setup should be fine; it's a fairly standard Cerberus configuration

Amazing help all around. I didn't know I'd need an adapter to mount fans to the radiator, so that saved me some time.

I think I'll look into moving the PSU to the back and using a NZXT G12 bracket and some 120mm AIO on the GPU.

Also will get the Aquacomputer Quadra too. I figured there was something like that available that I didn't know about.

Thanks so much!!

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
If you run the NZXT you're basically using my build except an AIO instead of custom. There's an NF-A12x15 above the motherboard for exhausting hot air from the VRM/chipset/etc. that's now there. Bottom radiator is a 280mm, upper-front is a 140mm .

• Love
Reactions: Uruk and qKX6V82

qKX6V82

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 1, 2020
If you run the NZXT you're basically using my build except an AIO instead of custom. There's an NF-A12x15 above the motherboard for exhausting hot air from the VRM/chipset/etc. that's now there. Bottom radiator is a 280mm, upper-front is a 140mm .

That is hot. Nice work. I think I'll pretty much just clone this, though I think I'll save the custom loop for later. Thanks for the pic, and now I know where you have the fan controller too. ?

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
Using nearly same setup as @Qzrx. Don't think there would be more optimal setup.

Also tried to include 92mm rad, but didn't see much benefit.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Don't think there would be more optimal setup.

Is that a modified half-height Heatkiller D5? Was contemplating the DDC version since it can fit above-GPU in the Cerberus but I was already down a rabbit hole with my D5 NEXT.

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
Is that a modified half-height Heatkiller D5? Was contemplating the DDC version since it can fit above-GPU in the Cerberus but I was already down a rabbit hole with my D5 NEXT.
Yep, it's modified 50mm Heatkiller D5 :)
you can see some pictures here

Reactions: Qzrx