Possible to divide the power from a single power brick to multiple devices?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I just saw this video where Josh shows off Aibohpobia's amazing build. At 7:30, he shows off the AC-DC power supply, that has been fitted with a splitter.

My question is; Is there a specific type of splitter here, or is it just a matter of splitting a single cable to two?

I ask because I have my DELL 330 W Brick that goes to my ITX PC. And I know the PC does not use near 330 W during use (Ryzen 1500x + 1050 Ti, both stock). I am curious to whether or not I could split the power from the brick to both the PC and to a low-energy portable monitor (as long as it runs of 19.5 V of course). Is this possible? And is there any adapter that would allow me to power a USB-C montor like this?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'd guess that you can easily split it using wago connectors. Just make sure the total current drain doesn't exceed what the brick can provide.

They are available in different size and are often used in light fixtures to distribute power.

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I just saw this video where Josh shows off Aibohpobia's amazing build. At 7:30, he shows off the AC-DC power supply, that has been fitted with a splitter.

My question is; Is there a specific type of splitter here, or is it just a matter of splitting a single cable to two?

I ask because I have my DELL 330 W Brick that goes to my ITX PC. And I know the PC does not use near 330 W during use (Ryzen 1500x + 1050 Ti, both stock). I am curious to whether or not I could split the power from the brick to both the PC and to a low-energy portable monitor (as long as it runs of 19.5 V of course). Is this possible? And is there any adapter that would allow me to power a USB-C montor like this?

What motherboard are you using?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I'd guess that you can easily split it using wago connectors. Just make sure the total current drain doesn't exceed what the brick can provide.

They are available in different size and are often used in light fixtures to distribute power.

So the brick doesn't "care" about one target using more power than the other target? I was just worried that there will be some issues with 200 W going to one place and 80 W to another place.

What motherboard are you using?

AsRock Ab350 Fatal1ty (see my signature for full ITX-build specs). :D

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
So the brick doesn't "care" about one target using more power than the other target? I was just worried that there will be some issues with 200 W going to one place and 80 W to another place.

AsRock Ab350 Fatal1ty (see my signature for full ITX-build specs). :D

Images are worth a thousand words....

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
So if I understood that correctly, it should be doable. The voltage will stay the same no matter what, and the amperage can vary (which it already does in a system like this).

So it should not be any issue dividing up the amperage over two different targets from the same source.

Or did I totally misunderstand this? :p