SFF power brick for MSI GS63VR?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey!

So, my MSI GS63VR uses I think a 180W power brick, it's 6" * 3" * 1" without including the cables in those measurements. I don't believe I've seen the system draw 180W from the wall, and it seems like only running the least optimized titles out there really seems to make it go over the 100-120W range. But, I have seen it get up into the ~160W range when running Dragon Age Inquisition, for whatever that's worth?

Model: ADP-180MB K
Input: 100-240V ~ 2.34A 50-60Hz
Output: 19.5V ----/- - - 9.23A (-)-(o -(+)

I'm going to be travelling, and I'm trying to reduce the amount of clutter and weight in my baggage. This power brick isn't the worst, but it's something I'd like to improve upon if I could, it weighs close to 2.5 lbs. Here's a few questions:

• Does anyone know of a smaller/lighter brick with roughly the same capabilities? (I'm confident a 160W brick could do just about as well, and I could definitely just 'live without' or plan around games that push the system so hard as to draw 180W.)
  • Has anyone ever used an "under-powered" power brick for their system? My intuition tells me it would either slow down battery drain, stop it, or just charge the system when idling/off.
  • Are there any suitable power bricks that don't have long cables on both sides? More of a "wall wart?"
  • For power bricks like mine that have a removable "input" cable, is just swapping the cable enough to make my brick work in another region?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I have a 160W HDPLEX AC-DC unit, and I'm considering trying to transform it into a power brick. It's a lot smaller than the stock brick for this laptop--anyone know if that's feasible?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Completely feasible, if you allow it to be cooled as originally intended - i.e. don't block the holes (or add some form of cooling)

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Completely feasible, if you allow it to be cooled as originally intended - i.e. don't block the holes (or add some form of cooling)

I never noticed any holes on the unit I had. Where are they? I went to look for my HDPLEX 160 earlier today, but it wasn't where I thought it was. I'll eventually check the shed, which is where it should be.

Assuming I am not interfering with any portion of the cooling, like you said, is modding the HDPLEX more or less as-simple-as swapping the connectors for ones compatible with my laptop?

And thanks for the suggestion @bichael, that's definitely a smaller brick than mine but not by all that much. I'm starting to test-pack my bag (still making some final decisions on what all needs to come with me, and still trying a few products out), so still it's possible that the size matters enough to make the switch. At this point, it looks like this brick might not be as problematic as I originally though, but cutting weight would still be really beneficial.

Edit: I just wanted to say, I spent a while double-checking. My laptop takes 19V in, it took digging all the way into the depths of ebay to find out, but that HP brick outputs "up to" 19.5V, so it should be compatible if I'm able to splice the correct connector on. It does actually look significantly lighter than my current brick, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChainedHope