Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I can't decide which of the MageDok monitors I'd buy between the 15" 1080p 144Hz and the 17" 1440p 120Hz. I think I'd get the 17" because it's both a bit cheaper and I have the hardware (2080ti) to run it at native.
Based off this review from NotebookCheck, none of them. Even for a pre-production model that is terrible. And there's no reason a pre-production model would use an inferior panel to the finished model. So, 146 nits maximum brightness, 186:1 contrast ratio - that's on par with a low-end TN panel 10 years ago, even if the viewing angles and color space are acceptable. Response times are also decent, but entirely useless when the display is that dull and dim. And then there's the fact that the pre-production model weighs twice the advertised spec. How are they going to bring that down?

Makes me very, very happy I didn't fall for this and back them.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Based off this review from NotebookCheck, none of them. Even for a pre-production model that is terrible. And there's no reason a pre-production model would use an inferior panel to the finished model. So, 146 nits maximum brightness, 186:1 contrast ratio - that's on par with a low-end TN panel 10 years ago, even if the viewing angles and color space are acceptable. Response times are also decent, but entirely useless when the display is that dull and dim. And then there's the fact that the pre-production model weighs twice the advertised spec. How are they going to bring that down?

Makes me very, very happy I didn't fall for this and back them.

Yeah I've gone totally off this monitor, even before reading that article. It is a Flexible goal on Indiegogo, which means they get the money even if they don't reach goal. given that there's only 12 backers and the damning article, I think I might save up for the Asus XG17 after all.

Cyamine

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 23, 2019
I see there's been some interest in larger than usual (that is, >17") portable monitors. What would you say about the idea of a triple-screen portable solution with screens folding into a stack for transport? There are already some generally similar products, such as BCCD-17 or MCCD-24, but all of them are ruggedized, which leads to both large dimensions (especially thickness) and large bezels, and they're also limited to triple-landscape configuration, while triple-portrait with slimmer bezels would effectively allow for a bigger screen with close to regular aspect ratio. I think I've got an idea for a more versatile chassis, but before I commit to this project, I want to see if anyone would be interested.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I see there's been some interest in larger than usual (that is, >17") portable monitors. What would you say about the idea of a triple-screen portable solution with screens folding into a stack for transport?

Perhaps you should separate this into a new thread, this is becoming a bit large.

The devil, as they say, is in the details. For example, https://www.packedpixels.com is two screens on the two sides of the laptop and the original products was 9.7" and 2048x1536 meaning a 4:3 screen so two of them gives you the equivalent of a 3:2 screen with an with almost 14" diagonal -- two screens only made the diagonal 44% bigger (and changed the aspect ratio). While it is easier to pack and on paper it mounts nicely. In practice, the mount is fixed angle which decreases the usefulness a real lot.

So: I might be very interested but this is a hard sell. Also, how would the laptop and its screen interact physically with three monitors? I imagine the middle wuld get in the way.

Cyamine

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 23, 2019
Perhaps you should separate this into a new thread, this is becoming a bit large.

The devil, as they say, is in the details. For example, https://www.packedpixels.com is two screens on the two sides of the laptop and the original products was 9.7" and 2048x1536 meaning a 4:3 screen so two of them gives you the equivalent of a 3:2 screen with an with almost 14" diagonal -- two screens only made the diagonal 44% bigger (and changed the aspect ratio). While it is easier to pack and on paper it mounts nicely. In practice, the mount is fixed angle which decreases the usefulness a real lot.

So: I might be very interested but this is a hard sell. Also, how would the laptop and its screen interact physically with three monitors? I imagine the middle wuld get in the way.
Oh, of course, I'll create a thread in the projects subforum once there's progress to report. I just thought this would be the best place to do a check of interest.

Also, the goal of this idea isn't laptop augmentation (there's already stuff like the aforementioned Packed Pixels or Mobile Pixels' DUEX/TRIO for these), it's more of a thing for SFF PC (and maybe console?) users who need to move their rig around somewhat regularly but don't want to make hard compromises on screen size.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Anyone heard anything regarding the Asus XG17? I thought it was supposed to be released this month but I've not heard anything about it since Gamescom in August

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Anyone heard anything regarding the Asus XG17? I thought it was supposed to be released this month but I've not heard anything about it since Gamescom in August
Don't think they ever gave out any concrete launch information.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Don't think they ever gave out any concrete launch information.

There's an article in german a page back in this thread where Asus themselves at Gamescom indicated October as a release date but you're right, there wasn't a concrete date, just the month and exorbitant pricing

Reactions: Valantar

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
US $83.80 | 120HZ FHD mini HDMI driver controller board for DIY portable monitor fit SCREEN N156HCE-GA2 N156HHE-GA1 B156HAN04.2 B156HTN05.1

Just came across this 120hz controller board
Nice. I finally got the LCD driver and power adapter for my old laptop screen. I think it's a 1080P 60Hz display which should be fun for some on the go action. The problem is I have no idea how I'm going to 1) mount the boards 2) structurally support my flimsy panel. It doesn't have to be MIL-SPEC rated but I'm open to ideas for how to keep everything together...

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Nice. I finally got the LCD driver and power adapter for my old laptop screen. I think it's a 1080P 60Hz display which should be fun for some on the go action. The problem is I have no idea how I'm going to 1) mount the boards 2) structurally support my flimsy panel. It doesn't have to be MIL-SPEC rated but I'm open to ideas for how to keep everything together...

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I think this will be my new 2nd monitor set up.

100usd Controller board + aluminum chassis:

~60USD Pannel - 1080p 15.6" IPS 120hz g-sync(I have one of these displays on my laptop currently):

~12USD Mouting bracket for quick release and go with my portable monitor:

~20 USD Vesa stand:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_mtf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A10483343DQGZO0WKXOT0&url=/Mount-Monitor-Computer-Screens-Adjustable/dp/B07TDBXZ9M/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?keywords=Vesa+stand&qid=1572856012&sr=8-20-spons&psc=1&qualifier=1572856011&id=6556811389646172&widgetName=sp_mtf

Total cost is around 210 (with shipping and tax included).

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
I think this will be my new 2nd monitor set up...

...Total cost is around 210 (with shipping and tax included).

Very cool idea, i like it! Similar specs, but a little more pricey than this one on NewEgg:

Anything in the specs that I've overlooked that makes the DIY version the better option? I have to ask because I know very little about this stuff, but I am interested to know.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Very cool idea, i like it! Similar specs, but a little more pricey than this one on NewEgg:

Anything in the specs that I've overlooked that makes the DIY version the better option? I have to ask because I know very little about this stuff, but I am interested to know.
120Hz and Adaptive Sync? Also, the one from Newegg has zero guarantee that the panel isn't garbage.

Reactions: CottonTexas

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Newegg:
Tft pannel
Thicker
Unknown pannel quality

My link:
IPS
Solid aluminum chassis for the monitor
Thin (~15mm)
120hz refresh rate
Quality pannel with good color reproduction