Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Has anyone seen new laptops/tablets with video input? Is it possible to replace the monitor for portable setup in this way?
Super late reply, maybe not relevant anymore:
I don't think I have EVER seen any ordinary, general purpose laptops or tablets with a video input. The only exception I have seen is the many thousand dollar Wacom MobileStudio tablet computers are able to be connected to a computer and used as if it were a Cintiq with an adapter they sell, and along with that the iPad pro can be used as a drawing tablet for an Apple computer. probably not what you're looking for though.

If you're running windows, though, you CAN mirror or extend your desktop to the monitor(s) on another machine on the network also running windows, but that's only as good as your network.
= = =
So a device I've had my eye on is the Taihe Gemini. That's got ALL the ports so should actually be able to connect to basically anything (only super recently have these other options for non USB-C monitors popped up), and is a touchscreen. I haven't seen any reviews, though. Does anyone here know anything about it?

Waffuls

Cable Smoosher
Jan 23, 2017
I posted this on the discord, But this need's to be here as it shows some very awesome displays to come in the next couple of years.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Anyone use the nebula capsule 2 yet? It's actually amazing for what it offers, projector + speakers combined into one

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Just letting y'all know this is the one I got. Only has a USB-C input to use it. Pretty sure it was 5ms Response.

AOC I1601FWUX 15.6" USB-C powered portable monitor, extremely slim, Full HD 1920x1080 IPS, SmartCover, AutoPivot (for devices w/ USB-C DP Alt Mode only)

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Has anyone heard anymore news on the new ASUS IPS panel? Was announced at the end of May but I haven’t seen anything pop up about it anywhere.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Has anyone heard anymore news on the new ASUS IPS panel? Was announced at the end of May but I haven’t seen anything pop up about it anywhere.
Nope. They showed it off at Computex, but never announced a launch time frame, price range, or anything like that. Likely trying to gauge buyer interest.

ZerodB

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2019
Anybody have experience with DIY making a slim enclosures/ bezels with aluminum or 3D print for a 15.6 screen or a company who can do it. I have a spare 4k 15.6 laptop screen 15.6 4k. Found a Mini HDMI Type C LCD driver/Control Board (on ali). Found only one youtube instruction, but its design was too bulky. (Build a DIY screen out of recycled parts for cheap)

Reactions: annasoh323

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
In case you didn't see, the $80 price is for a 7" 1280x800 monitor. The 15.6" "4k HDR" one is $300. That still isn't too bad, but with these no-name OEM products I would expect panel quality to be bottom-of-the-barrel. It still looks reasonably attractive, with plenty of inputs and a thin chassis, not to mention USB-C power input.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
So, computerbase got an expected price and release date for XG17 on Gamescom:
ROG Strix XG17: 599 Euro, Oktober 2019
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-08/gamescom-asus-monitore-xg43uq-xg27uq-pg65uq-xg17/ (at the bottom, German)
Ouch. I guess that should have been expected given the proliferation of >€1000 gaming monitors and the fact that run-of-the-mill 15.6" 1080p60 portable monitors easily hit €300, but it's still a lot for what it is. Here's hoping they follow this up with a cheaper 15.6" version, though. There are seemingly plenty of good 15.6" 144Hz panels out there these days (which Asus is already buying for their laptops), so it shouldn't be too difficult. 240Hz is really not necessary, even if I understand the desire to come out swinging with a "flagship" in the category.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
This looks like a solid feature set at a great price (see that $20 coupon?) and available on Amazon.
I've already got my 15" 1080p w/ HDMI monitor, but hopefully they do a 17".

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Saw this on Reddit here.
That looks quite nice, even if the whole "unproven company on Indiegogo" thing puts me off. Also, mini HDMI is just barely better than micro. But other than that, promising stuff. Too bad I don't have that kind of cash right now to gamble on maybe getting a monitor some time after the new year.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Unproven company?? Magedok?? https://magedok-shop.myshopify.com they already have a ton of monitors highly relevant for this topic. Some weird stuff like this 2880x1620 15.5 monitor -- I think it's the panel from the Lenovo W540 workstation laptop.
Guess I should have been more specific: unproven company in retail and direct to customer sales in western markets, and with no extensive end-user sales history to back up their ability to produce quality products. Their site and claimed history of doing large OEM orders is reassuring, but that's not what they're setting out to do here after all. At least their breadth of models does make it seem like they're willing to gamble on niche products regardless of demand, which is good to know for a flexible goal campaign (i.e. they get any money pledged regardless of reaching the goal). On the other hand, they pretty much outright ripped off Linux Mint's logo, for what it's worth. They might not be as unproven as I thought, but it's still a gamble.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I can't decide which of the MageDok monitors I'd buy between the 15" 1080p 144Hz and the 17" 1440p 120Hz. I think I'd get the 17" because it's both a bit cheaper and I have the hardware (2080ti) to run it at native.