Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Feel much better knowing I won't have to buy a TaoBao monitor after all.

I came here to post about the same thing (though from TPU, not Tom's - I've long since abandoned Tom's as a serious news source), but you beat me to it.

Have to say this looks nearly perfect. 17" is bigger than I'd like, but I could live with it. And I was scared it would be TN with that refresh rate, but a 240Hz 3ms FreeSync IPS? Yes please. Just hope the price is reasonable ($300-ish?).

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I feel like 1440p for gaming on a 17" panel is unnecessary (productivity is another matter), particularly for something portable. Would just drive up the required hardware to make good use of it and make for worse battery life.

The next wave 144hz-240hz, Freesync, IPS portable monitor are not going to be cheap.

At that higher price, it should have some productivity chops.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The next wave 144hz-240hz, Freesync, IPS portable monitor are not going to be cheap.

It might be. If this is >$500, I think it's completely DOA. I'd gladly pay $300 for something like this, but any more is kind of bonkers. It's not a desktop monitor, after all, so by its very nature it's a secondary item.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

It might be. If this is >$500, I think it's completely DOA. I'd gladly pay $300 for something like this, but any more is kind of bonkers. It's not a desktop monitor, after all, so by its very nature it's a secondary item.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

It will definitely be above 500. Especially because of the dumb integrated battery.

shreebles

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
I came here to post about the same thing (though from TPU, not Tom's - I've long since abandoned Tom's as a serious news source), but you beat me to it.

Have to say this looks nearly perfect. 17" is bigger than I'd like, but I could live with it. And I was scared it would be TN with that refresh rate, but a 240Hz 3ms FreeSync IPS? Yes please. Just hope the price is reasonable ($300-ish?).

I also came here to post this...
Unfortunately, the HDMI 2.0 and USB-C combo means that you need an RTX GPU to take advantage of the 240hz refresh rate as HDMI 2.0 can do 120hz max at 1080p.
Interested in seeing what AMD will bring to market this summer. I think they were rumored to have DP via USB-C as well.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I also came here to post this...
Unfortunately, the HDMI 2.0 and USB-C combo means that you need an RTX GPU to take advantage of the 240hz refresh rate as HDMI 2.0 can do 120hz max at 1080p.
Interested in seeing what AMD will bring to market this summer. I think they were rumored to have DP via USB-C as well.
I can't find one yet, but I refuse to believe that nobody will ever make a DP-to-type-C adapter. Might be slightly complex, and probably not dirt cheap, but should be entirely doable. If not, VirtualLink ought to do the trick, and I refuse to believe AMD won't adopt it.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
All the previews I could find show it only has USB-C and HDMI for connections which is unfortunate, I would have liked to see a DP so Nvidia users have the option to use freesync on it as well. I also hope it comes with VESA mounting support as well.
I'd be very surprised if FS didn't work over type-C alt mode through VirtualLink. The back looks entirely smooth, and it's unlikely they'll be able to fit VESA screw holes into something that thin, but I suppose they might have some sort of "clamp" mount or similar?

Reactions: bmacc

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
I'd be very surprised if FS didn't work over type-C alt mode through VirtualLink. The back looks entirely smooth, and it's unlikely they'll be able to fit VESA screw holes into something that thin, but I suppose they might have some sort of "clamp" mount or similar?

Would be interesting if freesync did indeed work over usb-c alt mode but all my research indicates that it doesn’t, I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong though. I’ll throw my hat into the pricing guess ring and say this will be at least $399 if not closer to $499.

Reactions: Valantar

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I'd be very surprised if FS didn't work over type-C alt mode through VirtualLink.

I would not be surprised if Nvidia made Freesync not work over USB-C on purpose. I recall them not letting Freesync work on anything for more than a decade before giving us this much.

Maybe I'm just cynical and Nvidia literally can't enable Freesync-over-HDMI, but Nvidia has a long history of going out of their way to prevent users from doing things that "should just work," like the error code that throws when you try to do GPU passthrough.

Edit: It's speculation, but one would assume Freesync-over-HDMI does not work because Nvidia has its "BFD" G-Sync TVs, and there aren't any Freesync-enabled TVs that use DisplayPort.

And, to this display, it's exciting but I feel like 240Hz is overkill on a portable display. I'm sure this is one of the best panels available right now, but I'd be much more excited for a ~20-22" portable display that's able to support 4K at 120Hz. I don't personally care about an internal battery (external power banks are widely available and convenient), and I would really be head over heels for a thin, portable display with touch support. This product is exciting, but it's still not quite where I want it. Especially not at a premium price point like $500+. I think a ~$300 price tag is compelling, but not for me personally when I (personally) feel like I'm compromising in a few areas still.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018