Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
Why is your attempt at a link embedded in a broken media tag? Add it as a plain link, it's much easier.

From looking it up on ebay, the monitor looks pretty decent, though of course it's impossible to know if the limited on-paper specs provided have any bearing on reality. No way of knowing panel quality or if the controller is halfway decent. As for 120Hz, it has a USB-C input, so it has DisplayPort (alt mode). If the HDMI ports are 2.0 that can also handle 1440p120. A shame it doesn't have FreeSync, though, if it did I'd be very interested.
Yeah my bad on that one. It would be nice if it had freesync, for me I only really care about the refresh rate though. Unfortunately I couldn't find many reviews on it.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sorry guys, if I understood well, the Asus can be only used with a DESKTOP as single screen only using the USB-C port of the new Nvidia GPU? Or is there a way to use if t also with the DP PORT?

And, the Cintiq Pro or not Pro, can be used as a single monitor as well? Are months I am trying to understand if it is possible, but all the reviews seen they use them as a secondary monitor.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Sorry guys, if I understood well, the Asus can be only used with a DESKTOP as single screen only using the USB-C port of the new Nvidia GPU? Or is there a way to use if t also with the DP PORT?

And, the Cintiq Pro or not Pro, can be used as a single monitor as well? Are months I am trying to understand if it is possible, but all the reviews seen they use them as a secondary monitor.

I've once had a Cintiq that I was able to use as a primary monitor.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

There are no monitors requiring VirtualLink. Any type-C monitor should work with any laptop with a type-C output with DP alt mode support. All laptop USB-C connectors should be able to deliver 15W of power to peripheral devices (as that's what the USB-C spec requires), which is what these monitors are built for.

As for using anything like this as a primary monitor: a monitor is a monitor. Anything connected to a PC and recognized as a monitor can be a primary, secondary, tertiary - or whatever - monitor. An exception might be DisplayLink-type USB (type A) video adapters, but I've used even some of those "headless" (i.e. without a graphics card) in a couple of settings, and those are rather rare these days with type-C handling native DP output.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
An exception might be DisplayLink-type USB (type A) video adapters

Ah sweet summer child. There are a ton of USB C docks which have a DisplayLink IC in them and unless you are well versed in what's possible and what is not, it's hard to tell. Thankfully, most of these docks support dual 4K @ 60 from a non-TB3 USB C port which is pretty telling -- if you are familiar with USB C, that is.

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Why is your attempt at a link embedded in a broken media tag? Add it as a plain link, it's much easier.

From looking it up on ebay, the monitor looks pretty decent, though of course it's impossible to know if the limited on-paper specs provided have any bearing on reality. No way of knowing panel quality or if the controller is halfway decent. As for 120Hz, it has a USB-C input, so it has DisplayPort (alt mode). If the HDMI ports are 2.0 that can also handle 1440p120. A shame it doesn't have FreeSync, though, if it did I'd be very interested.

If you are ok with 1080P I've been pretty impressed with this G-Story 17.3 monitor:
It has FreeSync and runs at 120HZ. I should really do a review of it.
G-Story also has a 1440P version which I assume is of similar quality:

Edit: Removed links because Amazon media thing is automatic.
Edit: Never mind. Even if you post the amazon links as plain text the forum still forces the media button. Horrible.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
If you are ok with 1080P I've been pretty impressed with this G-Story 17.3 monitor:

Edit: Never mind. Even if you post the amazon links as plain text the forum still forces the media button. Horrible.
It's the same issue for me with Imgur links. It's virtually impossible to just post a damn link these days.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Those look very nice except for the TN panel (and the fact that Amazon doesn't ship electronics to Norway). Are the viewing angles okay? The price is decent. I keep being baffled at how bad product descriptions and spec lists on Amazon are, though. No mention of physical dimensions? I'm thinking 17.3" is likely a bit too big for my wants. Looks very nice for someone with a bigger backpack than me, though!

Reactions: LegendsofMace

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018

Good choice too. It needs external AC to power it though, only reason I didnt look into it further. The Sibolan is USB powered. Would be interesting to compare the two in a review.

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Those look very nice except for the TN panel (and the fact that Amazon doesn't ship electronics to Norway). Are the viewing angles okay? The price is decent. I keep being baffled at how bad product descriptions and spec lists on Amazon are, though. No mention of physical dimensions? I'm thinking 17.3" is likely a bit too big for my wants. Looks very nice for someone with a bigger backpack than me, though!
I'll try to post a mini review with some pictures this weekend. It is really light, but the frame should make it bigger than the Sibolan. Panel looks good to me and viewing angles are fine IMO. Thing is, a 17.3" monitor is pretty small. I really doubt there are going to be many situations when you or someone else will be trying to view it from the side like you might have with a family watching a large TV in the living room.

Reactions: bmacc and Valantar

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
I’ve owned the GSTORY 1080p/120hz panel for a few weeks now. Overall it’s a solid portable gaming panel but does have a few drawbacks, I’d give it a 4 out of 5.

Pros

- 1080p/120hz with freesync works as advertised
- No perceived ghosting or trailing
- Lots of OSD options to tweak settings
- Included cover, stand and remote all work fairly well
- Colors are decent once hardware calibrated
- Has a cheap VESA adapter that’s available and works well

Cons

- Only has HDMI so freesync only works with AMD.
- Horizontal color shift isn’t bad but vertical shift is pretty severe
- Colors are dull compared to IPS/VA
- Outer shell is somewhat bulky and feels fairly cheap

Overall it works pretty well, as noted there aren’t a lot of options for high refresh rate and Freesync portable monitors. I ordered a tactic duffle from sfflabs and am now searching a smaller sized vesa stand with height adjustment that will fit in the duffle. The vertcal viewing angle is really poor and has a severe contrast and color shift so you ideally want to look at this monitor straight on, it looks so much better that way.

I was going to attempt to order a LUKOS 17.3 from China but decided I don’t want the hassle of dealing with international shipping and custom, wish it was sold on amazon or another US alternative. If someone out out an IPS version with similar specs and DisplayPort I think it would be close to perfect. I’m tempted to order the GSTORY 1440p version Majestic linked to see if it’s TN panel is any better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majestic

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Well since @bmacc did the review I don't really have to. ?

This is the stand that I got for it. It's light enough and folds down for travel. It is a pain to adjust, but I think most small vesa stands will have this issue. Also, it provides these long screws and spacers, but the GSTORY doesn't really need them since it doesn't get too hot. You may want/need to grab your own srews for attaching the monitor to the stand.
I'm going to try to put my url shortener on the amazon link to stop horrible embed.
http://maf.gg/stand

I’ve owned the GSTORY 1080p/120hz panel for a few weeks now. Overall it’s a solid portable gaming panel but does have a few drawbacks, I’d give it a 4 out of 5.

Pros

- 1080p/120hz with freesync works as advertised
- No perceived ghosting or trailing
- Lots of OSD options to tweak settings
- Included cover, stand and remote all work fairly well
- Colors are decent once hardware calibrated
- Has a cheap VESA adapter that’s available and works well

Cons

- Only has HDMI so freesync only works with AMD.
- Horizontal color shift isn’t bad but vertical shift is pretty severe
- Colors are dull compared to IPS/VA
- Outer shell is somewhat bulky and feels fairly cheap

Overall it works pretty well, as noted there aren’t a lot of options for high refresh rate and Freesync portable monitors. I ordered a tactic duffle from sfflabs and am now searching a smaller sized vesa stand with height adjustment that will fit in the duffle. The vertcal viewing angle is really poor and has a severe contrast and color shift so you ideally want to look at this monitor straight on, it looks so much better that way.

I was going to attempt to order a LUKOS 17.3 from China but decided I don’t want the hassle of dealing with international shipping and custom, wish it was sold on amazon or another US alternative. If someone out out an IPS version with similar specs and DisplayPort I think it would be close to perfect. I’m tempted to order the GSTORY 1440p version Majestic linked to see if it’s TN panel is any better.

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Well since @bmacc did the review I don't really have to. ?

This is the stand that I got for it. It's light enough and folds down for travel. It is a pain to adjust, but I think most small vesa stands will have this issue. Also, it provides these long screws and spacers, but the GSTORY doesn't really need them since it doesn't get too hot. You may want/need to grab your own srews for attaching the monitor to the stand.
I'm going to try to put my url shortener on the amazon link to stop horrible embed.
http://maf.gg/stand

Thanks for the link, i'll take a look at it. Do you by chance know the highest the stand adjusts too? I'm looking for around 14 to 15 inches so I can look at the monitor straight on. Im using this quick release VESA to quickly attach and detach the monitor.

VIVO Adapter VESA Mount Quick Release Bracket Kit

Edit: I can't link to amazon, for some reason I get this silly media icon.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for the link, i'll take a look at it. Do you by chance know the highest the stand adjusts too? I'm looking for around 14 to 15 inches so I can look at the monitor straight on. Im using this quick release VESA to quickly attach and detach the monitor.

VIVO Adapter VESA Mount Quick Release Bracket Kit

Edit: I can't link to amazon, for some reason I get this silly media icon.
It says "20-25cm height adjustable", so ~8-10" or thereabouts.

It seems like all Amazon links create this annoying embed now. It does have its pros: you see the product, an image, and the price, but it's also an annoying eyesore that fits badly into the forum.

Reactions: Biowarejak

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
2 pounds for the stand and another 249g for the quick release bracket? That's not bad at all! (I am still mourning the grossly overpriced 20" Asus. All physical characterics of it is superb.)