Cooling Pictures and Measurements for Reference on the ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming and Swiftech Apogee Drive II

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
A few pictures, measurements, and compatibilities for reference on the ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming motherboard and Swiftech Apogee Drive II CPU pump/block. Details for the photos are in the description of each of the pictures.

I hope you guys find this useful. Let me know if there's any measurement or angle I missed that would be beneficial to include.

EDIT: added two more pictures showing total vertical and horizontal distance between VRM/M.2 heatsinks and the RAM. The embedded Imgur link may not update to reflect the added pictures, so just open up the Imgur post and scroll to the bottom. Based on the measurements I got, crossed referenced with the official specs from Noctua's website, there is no way the NH-L12S will fit on this motherboard.

Last edited:

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
That’s brilliant! Thanks so much. I’m still gathering and finalising parts and I already have an Apogee Drive II that will go on a Crosshair Impact (hoping that it will fit even if it needs some minor modding).

thanks again.

Reactions: Sh0ckwaveFlash

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
So I received the motherboard earlier today. Haven’t had a chance to try yet, but from your pics it appears that in order to fit the Apogee Drive II on it, it will require some modding (filling down ?) of the AM4 mounting brackets ?
id be again great full if you can point out the before/after of the modification of the bracket because from the images above Im not sure of where exactly and how much it would need modifying.

Thanks in advance!

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
So I received the motherboard earlier today. Haven’t had a chance to try yet, but from your pics it appears that in order to fit the Apogee Drive II on it, it will require some modding (filling down ?) of the AM4 mounting brackets ?
id be again great full if you can point out the before/after of the modification of the bracket because from the images above Im not sure of where exactly and how much it would need modifying.

Thanks in advance!

Basically, the circled area in the picture below overlaps when the pump/block bracket isn't filed down. It's less noticeable than in the picture (I've exaggerated it for illustrative purposes and since I don't have any before modification pictures), but it's enough that when the pump/block is centered and tightened down it will actually start applying pressure to the VRM heatsink below it.

I already have an Apogee Drive II that will go on a Crosshair Impact
I don't have hands-on experience with the Impact board, but it looks like you might have the same problem in roughly the areas I circled here:

Just to make it clear exactly what I modded, the red triangle part (illustrated below) of the pump/block bracket is what I held against a belt sander to shave down and remove. The motherboard is not modified in any way. I did this on all four corners of my bracket, but you may need to do just one or two if you already know what orientation you'll have the Apogee on the motherboard. If you need replacement brackets, you can buy them (example).

Reactions: Koxx5D and MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
thank you so much for this, that’s very helpful. I’ll have a test-fit probably today and see what needs to be done. I don’t have a belt sander but I’m sure a dremel can do the job. Will report back.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
So I test fitted the Apogee on the Impact today and unfortunately (as you reported already) the pumps’ fitting conflicts with the ram on the adjacent dim slot ? (I use tall ram sticks from G.Skill which are the same as the ons in your pics but taller, taller than the Apogee).

Now I see two options to overcome this, either sand down the Apogee about 1,5-2mm (keeping fingers crossed that it’s safe to do so), or try to replace them and attach directly to the block those low profile Koolance 90° fittings. Even with the Koolance fittings I’m not sure it will clear the ram, it will do more testing and again will report back (ordered a couple Koolance low profile already to test when they arrive).

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
So I test fitted the Apogee on the Impact today and unfortunately (as you reported already) the pumps’ fitting conflicts with the ram on the adjacent dim slot ? (I use tall ram sticks from G.Skill which are the same as the ons in your pics but taller, taller than the Apogee).

Now I see two options to overcome this, either sand down the Apogee about 1,5-2mm (keeping fingers crossed that it’s safe to do so), or try to replace them and attach directly to the block those low profile Koolance 90° fittings. Even with the Koolance fittings I’m not sure it will clear the ram, it will do more testing and again will report back (ordered a couple Koolance low profile already to test when they arrive).
Hey, I never followed up with you on this. What did you decide to do? With RAM that tall, I don't see a way to make the fitment compatible. It would seem you might be best served by utilizing a lower profile RAM kit.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Hey, I never followed up with you on this. What did you decide to do? With RAM that tall, I don't see a way to make the fitment compatible. It would seem you might be best served by utilizing a lower profile RAM kit.
Unfortunately haven’t finish the build yet, waiting for some fittings to make the loop properly. So the ram sticks are being pushed about 2mm from pumps’ outlet. What I’ve done so far was to dremel the outlet just a tad (about 1 my) but still it pushes against the ram. So next is try to get the ram heatsink off and try to trim it down at the point where the pump touches it.
I hope I don’t mess anything in the process...

Kruppster

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 21, 2020
I have the same motherboard and pump and have just begun my build.

When I have the in-port by the ram, the port is not as wide, but it is lower, so it will hit the ram. If I reverse it, the outport it taller, but wider, so it will hit the ram.

I also clearly see the about 1 mm that needs to be sanded to not hit the vrm-heatsink.

I think I saw examples where the apogee was turned 90 degrees, but the brackets need to be repositioned somehow. That is what I am contemplating atm.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018

When I have the in-port by the ram, the port is not as wide, but it is lower, so it will hit the ram. If I reverse it, the outport it taller, but wider, so it will hit the ram.

I also clearly see the about 1 mm that needs to be sanded to not hit the vrm-heatsink.

I think I saw examples where the apogee was turned 90 degrees, but the brackets need to be repositioned somehow. That is what I am contemplating atm.
Sorry for not updating this. I ended up taking the heat sink off the RAM and cutting out a square piece of about 1x1cm so that the Apogee outlet could clear the memory without pressing against it. In the end however I have ended up not using the Gskill memory since it wouldn’t run at anything other than the JEDEC timings which are rubbish.
I’m currently in the process of rebuilding the whole system anyway, and I will wither go with a 240 AIO for the cpu and leave the GPU on air, or make a custom 2x240mm rad loop for both GPU and CPU using the Barrow cpu/pump block instead (
£74.09 10% Off | Barrow POM Custom Computer Liquid Loop Kit INTEL/AMD/X99/X299 water block integrated pump and reservoir LTPRP-04
)

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019

Sorry to tell you but you can only rotate the block 90° on Intel systems. AM4 does not have square mounting. So only 180° rotations.

Reactions: MultiDoc