Power Supply PicoPSU power consumption in shutdown state?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hi, guys. This might be a very specific request but it would really help if someone could answer this.

Does anyone of you use the PicoPSU-80-WI-32V and have a way to measure it's operating current when the PC is turned off?
I don't want to know the power draw from the wall, that would include the conversion of the power brick, I specifically need the amount of current that flows when a motherboard is connected to the Pico and the PC is turned off. Watts would be fine, too. It seems like this information is only available for the PicoPSU-90-XLP, I can't find anything on the 80-WI-32V.
Ideally, if you have a lab PSU ready, could you measure this at a power input of 25V?

Thanks in advance!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm actually quite curious as to if they'll have an answer for you on this. And, if they don't, whether or not they'll do the testing themselves and get back to you.

Can I ask why you're in need of this info?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Got an answer back. They said they don't have this info and I should contact them if I needed any other details. So I guess I'll have to order one and test it myself.

This is work-related, but unfortunately I can't mention any specifics other than that I want to drive a mainboard from a battery.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So today I was able to test this teeny tiny thing. I've measured the output current from a lab PSU to the picoPSU while it was plugged into a regular mITX motherboard with an i7-4770T installed. In the BIOS, I disabled all functions that could possibly draw current like wake-on-LAN. These are my findings:
  • 32V input: 27.63mA (=0.88W)
  • 25.2V input: 30.96 mA (=0.77W)
  • 19V input: 35.75mA (=0.68W)
  • 12V input: 44.78mA (=0.54W)
These results aren't surprising at all, at least the fact that total power draw is declining the lower the input voltage gets.
Still, I expected slightly better results as minibox also offers the picoPSU-90-XLP, which has just 1/10th of the power draw at 12V (<0.05W advertised).