Phone thread

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
My e1's acting weird and there is something eating up my battery. I'm taking this as a sign, so I splurged and got a Nokia 6.1. I'l keep the e1 as a backup / tablet for the time being. Thanks for everyone's help.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Curious what all phones everyone here uses and how they like it, what they'd change.

I'm using a Nokia6 (2017) TA-1000 model. It's Chinese market so I had to install Google Play myself but it was easy enough. I wish it ran the non-CN ROM so all of the Google features worked better.

Overall it's a great phone and even with a cheap Snapdragon 430 it's very smooth. I wish it had a 625 for better battery life, and USB Type C would be nice too. I plan to get a Nokia7 Plus or Sharp Aquos S2 (SFF FTW) this year.

Anyone else here using a Nokia?
Xperia X For the win! Until I submerged it in water and screwed up the screen! Still waiting to save up enough for a screen...

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
The time to upgrade has come. MY HTC M9's battery is really underperforming as of late. Looking for a flagship phone as I'll be keeping it for 3 years plus. The question now is, Galaxy S9, Pixel 3, Oneplus 6t, Huawei P20 Pro, or something else?

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If my current phone breaks down today and I were to buy a flagship this week, it would be Xiaomi Mix 3, for its relatively low price, high performance, 'almost' full screen and the new magnetic sliding feature. Freshly released just yesterday (1 Nov) and so it might not be available widely.
But phone is just one of those things that can be quite subjective. Anyway, do check it out to see if its total package appeals to you.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
The time to upgrade has come. MY HTC M9's battery is really underperforming as of late. Looking for a flagship phone as I'll be keeping it for 3 years plus. The question now is, Galaxy S9, Pixel 3, Oneplus 6t, Huawei P20 Pro, or something else?
If you use a headphone jack, S9. (or get the s8 on ultraclearance).

Since it doesn't look like my Xperia is going to live anytime soon, I'll be buying a Moto G6 soon. It looks glossy and nice, but whether it'll hold up like my Moto E did is unclear.

(my Moto E survived about 5 years of constant use, drops, being sat on, and finally cracked after I accidentally dropped it down a long flight of stairs into a moving cart. It still works though!)
(my Xperia worked great until I dropped it into water)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I'm pretty torn on the headphone jack point. I do use headphones, but don't mind the usb-c adapter. Camera and battery life are probably top features for me, and having expandable storage is a huge bonus, but I see many phones don't have that.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If you use a headphone jack, S9. (or get the s8 on ultraclearance).

Since it doesn't look like my Xperia is going to live anytime soon, I'll be buying a Moto G6 soon. It looks glossy and nice, but whether it'll hold up like my Moto E did is unclear.

(my Moto E survived about 5 years of constant use, drops, being sat on, and finally cracked after I accidentally dropped it down a long flight of stairs into a moving cart. It still works though!)
(my Xperia worked great until I dropped it into water)

I have a Moto G6 I picked up shortly after it was released. So far I like it quite a bit. Snappy performance, decent camera, good battery life and I really like the 18:9 aspect ratio. I would recommend a good case with the Gorilla Glass back, I have dropped mine a few times and it is fine so far with a decent case.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I'm pretty torn on the headphone jack point. I do use headphones, but don't mind the usb-c adapter. Camera and battery life are probably top features for me, and having expandable storage is a huge bonus, but I see many phones don't have that.
lol pocophone???

I have a Moto G6 I picked up shortly after it was released. So far I like it quite a bit. Snappy performance, decent camera, good battery life and I really like the 18:9 aspect ratio. I would recommend a good case with the Gorilla Glass back, I have dropped mine a few times and it is fine so far with a decent case.

Got it. I'm getting it with my mom from (gasps) HSN, and they include a case. Not sure if it's good, but it'll suffice. Now the real question will be how will this phone die within a year ;) My bets are on electrocution with me by server power supply.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Who you gonna call !?!
CAPACITOR BUSTERS!

(shows a Moto G6's capacitors exploding one by one)

"oh great, should I call the police, the ambulance, the morgue, or the cleaners?"
How about just stuffing my body into a Corsair 1000D? Perfectly sized... for a coffin. XD

@Biowarejak
Well, I would be 90% dead, so he wouldn't really care... I might take his MacBook with me XD see how fast the VRMs cook themselves

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
7 months in, no regrets on my Nokia 6 purchase. :D
So, have you dropped it? Is this why we've seen earthquakes in your area? ;)
Seriously though, how much wear does it show? I remember the good ol' days of my Moto E1 which didn't show a scratch after being dropped.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It looks practically new. Apart from a crack in the camera glass right in the centre between the rear camera lens and the flash
Not bad considering my day job is insanely physical. Phone has been dropped, crushed and leant on numerous times.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
It looks practically new. Apart from a crack in the camera glass right in the centre between the rear camera lens and the flash
Not bad considering my day job is insanely physical. Phone has been dropped, crushed and leant on numerous times.
Does that affect camera functionality?

If it was an iPhone 6, well, it would be spaghetti now XD

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Does that affect camera functionality?

If it was an iPhone 6, well, it would be spaghetti now XD

Not in any way, the crack lies right between the lens and the flash, affecting neither!

Reactions: el01