Other TV: Android/Google vs non Android/Google

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Have not bought a TV in years and now I am going to buy one. As we all know, nowadays all TVs are 'smart' TV, either in Android/Google OS camp or proprietary (eg Samsung Tizen, Panasonic My Home Screen).

The new TV will be mainly used for receiving local TV broadcast and DVD/Blu-ray/USB device playback. It will have very little web activity or usage of apps or interacting with mobile phones...etc

Which camp should I consider more? Android/Google or non Android/Google?
I am leaning to the 'non' camp to have better ease of use, smoother operation and less chance of software problem (as degree of internet interaction is minimal).

What do you guys think? Any input or experience sharing in either camp is welcome.
TIA.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
If your use case is non-smart device centric. I'd worry about size class, and panel quality, and I/O--in your price bracket; and not even think about the OS/firmware....and also how awful the remote is (see the Roku remote for an example of an awful experience).

The Samsung I have--I don't even have the network set up for. I bought in because there was a big old Black Friday deal on it.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
If your use case is non-smart device centric. I'd worry about size class, and panel quality, and I/O--in your price bracket; and not even think about the OS/firmware....and also how awful the remote is (see the Roku remote for an example of an awful experience).

The Samsung I have--I don't even have the network set up for. I bought in because there was a big old Black Friday deal on it.
So, you also use your Samsung in a non-smart way?

One of my main concern is that, as years go by, Android/Google TV will become 'sluggish'. This gradual slowdown in responsiveness has been raised by many owners when I read reviews. I wonder how widespread is this sluggishness. Is it just the bootup time? Or, it affects time switching between TV channels?
The thing is, this TV will be used for 7 or 8 years at least.

I really wish to separate the basic old school TV functions from all the internet related activities.

I am not too worried about the remote control. Sony, Panasonic and Samsung all have nice looking and functional models with robustness.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's the way they can keep TV sales up: obsolescence by software. Basically updates could be designed to slow down your device and makes you buy the new one with faster CPU. In a time between breakthrough technologies, manufacturers invent ways to make people buy new TVs even though their current one is perfectly fine and the new one costs a lot for a small gadget feature.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
That's the way they can keep TV sales up: obsolescence by software. Basically updates could be designed to slow down your device and makes you buy the new one with faster CPU. In a time between breakthrough technologies, manufacturers invent ways to make people buy new TVs even though their current one is perfectly fine and the new one costs a lot for a small gadget feature.
Per your saying, since my main usage of this TV is just the old fashioned way (ie receiving local TV broadcast and hooking up to a Bluray/DVD player), do you think buying a non-Android smart TV is (slightly or not) better than buying an Android based smart TV?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
+1

Buy a TV based on picture quality, inputs etc...

A TV should last years - the smart aspect of it probably won't - probably wont get more than a few years of updates for it anyway.

Have a Sony 4k TV with android TV, 2017 model so a bit old. Was slow to begin with, and guess what? It's still slow today!

My advice (and what I have done) - Get a Chromecast or alternative for the smarts. My TV is not even connected to the internet.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Per your saying, since my main usage of this TV is just the old fashioned way (ie receiving local TV broadcast and hooking up to a Bluray/DVD player), do you think buying a non-Android smart TV is (slightly or not) better than buying an Android based smart TV?

Don't even consider the smart bit. If the TV you like has android TV so be it. Don't let android TV or the lack of influence your decision

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I agree, a TV's main purpose is to show video, how you manage showing video is something you can add in various different ways. Especially because the built-in functions can become obsolete, unsupported, stops working or is insecure.

The only reason they do this is so they can include apps easily and get subsidized by Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and all the other "buttons" that are added. They're basically the equivalent of 30 day antivirus you get when you buy a laptop.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Will the included 'smartness' somehow slow down the TV functioning as a TV?
I mean, when the 'smartness' gets outdated in a few years, say, will it take longer to bootup the TV? I suppose, when the TV is turned on, it will first load the OS and all the installed apps before doing anything else. Correct?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I would think that it depends on the TV, but switching channels and inputs should be fine. Starting a TV from standby does not take long, a full reboot does though. Its navigating around the home screen and the apps that is slow - which you don't intend on doing.

The TV does not slow down when the updates stop. For me the problem with no updates is that you now have a device connected to the internet that no longer receives security updates, runs an old OS and/or outdated apps.

Reactions: Phuncz and tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I would think that it depends on the TV, but switching channels and inputs should be fine. Starting a TV from standby does not take long, a full reboot does though. Its navigating around the home screen and the apps that is slow - which you don't intend on doing.

The TV does not slow down when the updates stop. For me the problem with no updates is that you now have a device connected to the internet that no longer receives security updates, runs an old OS and/or outdated apps.
If the TV is not intended to do anything much with the internet, why would it, as a device, be still connected to the internet continuously? I do not think it needs the internet connection to function as a TV, correct?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Yeah you do not need the internet. None of my TVs are connected to the internet.

Was speaking more generally about why I do not care for the smart part of a TV

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
So, you also use your Samsung in a non-smart way?

One of my main concern is that, as years go by, Android/Google TV will become 'sluggish'. This gradual slowdown in responsiveness has been raised by many owners when I read reviews. I wonder how widespread is this sluggishness. Is it just the bootup time? Or, it affects time switching between TV channels?
The thing is, this TV will be used for 7 or 8 years at least.

I really wish to separate the basic old school TV functions from all the internet related activities.

I am not too worried about the remote control. Sony, Panasonic and Samsung all have nice looking and functional models with robustness.

I've never noticed it, TV is into year 2 or 3 of its life. Of course.....my TV provider is certain to bloat the cable box with crap anyway. Seriously. They embed ads in the TVGuide menu.

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
I've been very happy with my Loewe television of 4 years. Proprietary OS, sleek and lightweight without the junkware I've seen on other brands.

Picture quality is top notch too. I don't watch broadcast television so can't comment on that aspect, but I bet it's very good.

I tend to buy stuff and use it til it breaks, but I can't see it giving me any issues any time soon. I agree with Phuncz the software will become obsolete or unsupported way before the hardware fails.