Phone thread

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
Been using a Mi A1 for the last 6 months I think. Dropped it on the first day because it was so slippery. Been using it with a case ever since.

Nice phone. Gets regular security updates.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Personally I have been using the Samsung Galaxy Alpha for just over 3 years now. I remember when it came out it was to be an iPhone competitor, hence the first time Samsung used aluminum framing with their devices. Had a premium price and feel, but aftermarket they were found for much cheaper. The specs were respectable then and hold up pretty well now, even had 4K video in 2014, AC WiFi, AMOLED display, 4.7" screen (my absolute maximum with a phone) blah blah. What was great was despite having the same screen size it is a physically smaller device than an iPhone 6 onward. Still I prefer a 4" screen.

Its drawbacks have been significant however, forcing many people to abandon it. Still hasn't moved past android 5.0.2 for a phone that was ~400$! Battery is removable, but replacements are difficult to find or pricey, and since it is so thin and light (really a nice feature) there is no SD expansion. It is locked in at 32GB. Trade offs abound. Now, I have it on CyanogenMod because it really needed a refresh.

Every day is another day closer to it's death sadly, and I will use it until I cannot anymore because I don't care too much about phones and try to stay off them these days.

When it inevitably dies I will buy an iPhone SE used, put WhatsApp and my email on it and call it a day. Or, if I can grab one of those compact Xperia devices for a good price, maybe one of those. The SFF philosophy for me moves strongly into my phone choice, too!

Recently I have been thinking about not buying a smartphone as my next phone too, especially given some of Nokia's refreshes, but still undecided on that...

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I remember having a two phone setup previously: one dumbphone for calls, the other smartphone for the internet and whatsapp and music

people ask why not bring over everything to the iPhone. I take both out, put one in my ear, and the other flat on my palm

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm seriously reconsidering the need for a smartphone and just going with the Nokia 8110 (coming in June), as it has all the stuff I need and most of the stuff I want. It will probably depend how useful the mail function is and hopefully the camera isn't too bad. But for €79 I'm not expecting much.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm seriously reconsidering the need for a smartphone and just going with the Nokia 8110 (coming in June), as it has all the stuff I need and most of the stuff I want. It will probably depend how useful the mail function is and hopefully the camera isn't too bad. But for €79 I'm not expecting much.

Same. I use my phone for 3 things:
  • Phone calls
  • emails / sms
  • 4G hotspot
I do not game on it, no social networking, I have zero apps installed and disabled all the preinstalled ones that I was allowed to.

Reactions: Phuncz and stree

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
My current device is Moto E 1st gen with no physical SIM locked to a very budget carrier. Currently on Android 4.4 KitKat - with no prospect of upgrade. However, the battery lasts me easily a week or longer with the very limited use it gets. It's been inexpensive, but getting long in the tooth.

I use my phone for
-personal and (very few) work phone calls, receiving SMS (I very rarely send)
-calendar/work email (only while on the road)
-modest gaming when I want to kill time (backgammon and cribbage vs AI)
-offline GPS (CoPilot)

I'd like to get a phone that I can travel with, so would need to be able to at least swap out SIMs.
I'd like to use it as a music player, but almost all my music is currently ripped to WMA, which many phones seem not to support (no doubt due to the royalty cost). I'm about ready to convert my WMAs to MP3, but I've got ~20GB or more to convert.
I'd like a device with an ecompass for improved navigation.

Would like suggestions for a modestly priced unlocked replacement phone to be primarily used in the US. I'd prefer Android (as stock as possible), but would be willing to consider an older iPhone (though my soul would probably catch fire).

Reactions: el01

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Tempting, but I've heard the e5's won't be getting OS upgrades/updates, so the e4 is likely stuck, as well.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Tempting, but I've heard the e5's won't be getting OS upgrades/updates, so the e4 is likely stuck, as well.

Actually, I just got an update. From Motorola. Mine has a fingerprint sensor, but no curved display, maybe target specific?

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Xiaomi Mi Max 2

Absolute unit, this thing. I feel like I'm holding a tablet to my head when taking calls. Took a bit of getting used to but I love the huge screen and bought it exactly for that!