PC-IT

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
986
973
Switzerland

First mod - installing Silverstone SF-01 Sound Absorbing Foam, a standard mod for me now.



The panels are done too.



Nice project, the custom front panel looks great!

It looks like you are sold on sound absorbing foam. Got some questions about it as silence is always a priority in my builds.
I notice you don't/can't put it everywhere, like around the fans grills or on small area here and there? Is it like even a few already helps but the more the better? Even under the motherboard?
Is the Silverstone SF-01 the best you've tried?
 

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
4,689
7,954
Auckland, New Zealand
sff.network
Nice project, the custom front panel looks great!

It looks like you are sold on sound absorbing foam. Got some questions about it as silence is always a priority in my builds.
I notice you don't/can't put it everywhere, like around the fans grills or on small area here and there? Is it like even a few already helps but the more the better? Even under the motherboard?
Is the Silverstone SF-01 the best you've tried?

Thanks! So far the Silverstone SF-01 is the only one I've tried. I do like using it as it changes the sound profile to a lower, more ignorable tone. However, I wouldn't go out and buy more for the price it is, I'm just using leftovers from the review to add a premium feel to the case.

More helps, and the stuff under the mobo is to reduce vibrations and whatnot from transmitting to the desk, which in effect is a huge resonating solid. Because of the low level improvements, I don't feel the time invested in filling every gap is warranted though.
 
Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
4,689
7,954
Auckland, New Zealand
sff.network
Paint is complete! I still need to do a reprint of the front panel for smoothness, and figure out what to do with the black area. Hardware will change, but I'm happy so far.

IMG_1074-1.jpg

IMG_1077-2.jpg

IMG_1079-3.jpg

IMG_1083-4.jpg

IMG_1085-5.jpg
 

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
4,689
7,954
Auckland, New Zealand
sff.network
Not enough depth in the space for a screen, alas.

Regarding the 3D print;
The fascia is a little flexible but pretty robust. I expect it to be able to stand up to regular use of the system. If i was designing for a small production run though, I'd go for a better plastic (the PLA process that Shapeways uses isn't the smoothest of finishes) and add 0.5-1mm of thickness to the part for peace of mind.
 

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
986
973
Switzerland
Cute little box!
Heh was about to propose an LCD screen as well! Hadn't you something in mind for that area when you designed the front side?

Thx a lot for the feedback about the sound absorbing foam!
 

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
38
39
New Zealand
Before reading entire thread, saw pics of case, thought "Where did that cheeky bastard find that old case?" Then saw rear of case, "That's not AT.... Wtf is happening here?" epic win bro. Btw gonna be finishing off the mac project soon. Epic 7 years of doing fuck all will finally be over.
 

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
4,689
7,954
Auckland, New Zealand
sff.network
Well, that configuration was short lived. In pursuit of future video content, I was perusing the local eBay equivalent, and found (and bought..lol) a Black Magic Design Intensity Pro capture card - which will enable capturing BIOS screens, install screens, etc. This, as well as getting around my DSLR's video recording limitations in regards to time and storage.

So what does this mean? Well, I need to do two things. Replace my GTX750Ti with a single slot card (or a card with a single slot rear I/O but dual slot cooler), and replace the motherboard with a M-DTX board, like the ECS H61H2-MV or similar layout. An advantage I have here is that I have both FM2+ and skt 1155 CPUs here.

These changes will come about in late June - I have more important things to worry about in the coming weeks. ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Phuncz

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
455
242
Brasil
Hey @confusis, i know it is now an old project, but i need another input of yours about this case.

Do you think it's possible to accommodate HDplex AC-DC converter in the spot reserved for the proprietary PSU?