confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Well, another thread, but this one will be the build log :)

The aim of this build is to be a quiet system that can handle gaming, podcasting and content production.

Parts so far:
Gigabyte FM2-A88XN-Wifi M-ITX motherboard
Jonsbo C2s Case
3x 2.5" HDDs of varying sizes (local storage is much preferred for me)
GTX750-TI LP
XIgmatek GPU cooler
OCZ Trion 240GB SSD

To source:
Quadcore APU
2x 8GB DIMMs
Choose a dang CPU cooler
PSU adapter plate

Next up: Buy a m3 tap and add two holes to the GPU cooler to fit the GTX750Ti, more cable routing

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I guess you had a particular reason to choose an APU for this build, as you already have a 750 Ti.

I am also curious to see your VGA cooler mod, as LP 750 Ti have their own mounting pattern.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I chose this platform as the board had good value for money vs the Intel board, it will be used as the thermal test rig for now since the MSI board died..and you cant really find the non APU FM2(+) chips here at the bottom of the world

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
This will be good. Sorry that you cannot source FM2+ CPUs there or I would have recommended the 880K. Try the 7670K (95W TDP) or 7860K (65W TDP) if you can. They should allow for good OC's.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not planning on OC - that means more heat :p

I've come across a problem where the passive GPU cooler can't easily be drilled and tapped (extra holes are too close to the edge of the baseplate) so the passive gpu idea won't be happening.. for now

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I use the A88XN on my girlfriends PC....getting a CPU cooler that fits really sucks! I am using the AR-05 and it rubs up against the DIMMs a bit. What cooler will you use on yours?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
really depends on what power supply option I end up with;
  • ATX
  • SFX with silverstone adapter plate
  • picopsu and external brick
  • hdplex with internal ac-dc
the first 4 I have already (except the power brick and the adapter plate). With the 3rd and 4th option I can fit anything up to a NH-D15 cooler. First and second I am limited to a fair bit smaller, probably max out at a Scythe Samuel and 25mm thick fan with ATX psu, maybe up to a NH-L12 with sfx PSU.

my 550w ATX psu is semi modular, my 300w sfx is non modular, and my picopsu is an 80w variant. Trying to keep costs as low as possible so I can put money towards my kids, testing hardware for SFFn

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'd suggest checking out the Silverstone PP-08 adapter as it will give you another 10mm or so of clearance. I think you can get around 90mm of CPU clearance with a ST30SF+PP08 in the C2. A 140mm intake fan should give you enough positive air pressure for force out the air too.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
yeah, that was the adapter plate I was looking at getting. Have to import it though, lol. No tower coolers fit under 90mm, which is a shame.

I have already reconfigured the case to move the drives at the bottom to enable me to use a fan there, just working out how to mount the drives now!

I have a bitfenix 140mm and a few yate loon 140mm fans to try, going to see which ones have the best noise signature - I would use one of the many Noctua fans I have but I have chosen not to use any review sample items (that I haven't purchased myself). Just for keeping unbiased

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
If you are using only 2.5 drives, you should be able to get all 3 on the front mounting bracket right?

I don't think you'd be able to get a tower cooler on the A88XN anyways, it's crammed against the DIMM's and PCI slot. Could you do an AIO setup? Having the cooler exhaust into the case is less than ideal but....if you aren't OC'ing then it shouldnt be too bad.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
only 2 on the bracket from what I could achieve. I've been able to fit the NH-U12S and U14S on the board, alas they block the PCIe slot.. Without hacks that is. Expect reviews on those coolers and the hackery in the next week or so

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Can you use an adapter for a 3.5 to 2x 2.5 drives?

I've seen some people use velcro tape to just attach the drives on insides of Jonsbo cases too.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hmmm. The Velcro idea would work, would add a tiny amount of vibration dampening as well.

Would mean I can remove the unattractive drive sled as well.

I may reduce my drive loadout to 1*hdd and 1*ssd though.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So, changes:
  • Jonsbo case is out, its far too big, because;
  • Bought an A10-7860K. A 45w(65w) APU. I have set the power level to 45w and disabled IGP, and have not noticed any performance diff to the whole thing enabled at 65w. Win!

currently looking at smaller cases, the most interesting for me seems to be this:
http://playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=183/ID=26388/SID=906602977/productdetails.html

ugly faceplate, but it is small and comes with PSU. Thoughts?

Reactions: Soul_Est

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Seems we look at the same things! :D I was also checking that case out, seems about the same size as the Geeek A10 - but other than being thinner than the Jonsbo C2 its not shorter or less deep. The 5.25 bay is nice and could be used for something...

This case has several versions, none are terribly pretty but maybe you can check them out on In Win's website. The Thermaltake SD101 is also the same case I think - or at least the same layout.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The other option is scratchbuild - make it extra small! I have a few ATX sized aluminium panels to use for materials. Just need to set up a small workspace somewhere. Alas my house is not blessed with a garage or shed :/

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It looks like the box at the bottom is just that, a box. So it should be possible to drill the rivets out and get rid of it, that way cooling should be manageable.