The Breathe - Actually an ITX "Tower"

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Hello, everyone.

Finally I've got this recently released chassis "The Breathe" by @DSE in my hand.
Along with the help of Thanksgiving, I picked up a few good bargains in the sale.

As a first purchaser, I'll be writing this build log as a brief review (Non-professional, SubjectiveXD).

These are my components;

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZyTsyf

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe - SCKZT-1000 24.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 4GB NITRO+ Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Other: Samsung green ram stick 8GB * 2
Other: Toshiba THNSN5128GPU7
Other: "Breathe" by DSE
:cool:

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Packaging

I received this case in a USPS Shoe box.
(Sorry for no photos - The box got dirty with international shipping and i threw it away immediately)

All the parts were disassembled, protected with foam wrap and bubbles.
The accessories were nicely packed in a small zipper bags, with no single part missing.

What the sad thing was, the wrapping was not enough to perfectly protect the 7lbs chassis.
Those thin sheet of steel might have hurt each other inside the box.

Well, I had to apply the law of plier and it was just fine.

Also there were some neglegible scratches on some parts but I had them mended with paint markers anyway.

All parts ready to go.

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Case Build & Assembly

Case parts at a glance. ( I forgot the 2.5" bracket, since I won't be using it for now)

DSE wrote the overall assembly sequence in his case design thread, but I've had some issues packing inside this chassis on my first trial.

After all, this is one intuitive chassis and everyone can feel free to assemble the parts they want first.

First joined the top plate with my extra big GPU. Well, I found it extremely hard to join the top plate with the pci bracket in case where the spine was pre installed with the riser ribbon.

See how clever the power button is. Fits like a glove..

Then join the spine with top plate, make sure to fix the riser to the spine simultaneously.
I made the riser to pass between the MB and spine. Had to provide maximum width for my super-thick 2.2 slot GPU.
Also had the sticky tape to keep the other end of GPU stay tight with the spine.

Then the board components must be on board for installation.

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Assembly Continued

Never forget to set the I/O shield first.

Tightened the motherboard on the spine. The I/O shield bulges a bit, might be some minor dimension error. No problem when using.

You can also route the power button cables between the riser card, under the MB for neat cable management.

Fasten the Bottom plate and the spine.

DC power cables must be pre installed, since there is little space between the PSU and MB.
I didn't have all the equipments and guts to shorten the cable. Fortunately the psu that came with the Corsair Bulldog chassis had a short 6"(15cm) 10+18-pin to 24-pin. (other cables the same, like 16" or 40cm)
Regarding the layout it's best to use naked DIMMs since every bit of space is necessary.

Hard work pays off.

Used the screw holes on the bottom for cable management.
Be sure to keep the cables neat or you'll have the side plates bulging out.

Fastening eight more hex screws make the chassis fully erect.

See the empty space next to the chassis? you can use the area for cable management in case you have a longer cable.
(assuming there is zero or one 2.5" drives)

At this stage you'd like to test your desktop.

Fasten 8 more and it's finished, FINALLY.

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Conclusion / Feedbacks

Pros:
1. Extremely Sturdy. Each sides are fixed by 4 screws and strong sheet of steel, which gives its stucture rock solid feeling.

2. All the screw threads were excellent. Never had a single jamming screw when assembling this system twice.

3. Large area of vents make it easier to dissicipate heat faster. 3 rounds of Fire Strike + Time Spy benchmarks : Maximum temp was CPU core : 53°C, GPU : 75°C. Fan rpm decreases really fast after heavy duty workload.

Suggestions:
1. Packaging. I see the hard work in the box, but think it should be better. The heavy metal parts can scratch and damage each other even it was wrapped with foam. It might be better if the chassis was pre-built since the chassis is smaller than the box.
Also, some extra HEX SCREWS would be appreiciated. At any configuration there is not one hex screw to spare.

2. Cable management, regarding the PSU position. The space between PSU and MB is extremely narrow.

(See the 4 SATA slots and Modular female connector face each other)

Even if i had a 15cm 24pin cable, i had to pop out and reconnect some of the cable terminals to make it look tidier.
Considering the size of modular connectors, routing cables are extremely hard. Making cables on your own is highly suggested.
You cannot use FSP's DAGGER 600W since it is 1cm longer than Corsair SF series. Rather you might consider nonmodular PSUs.
If available, don't use 2.5" drives. Use M.2 SSDs and use MBs that have 2 M.2 slots. MB like Gigabyte's AB350N might not be compatible since it has DIMM slots at the end of MB.(if use only 1 ram slot, I think it 'll be just fine)

Or you might consider rotating the PSU, just like A4-SFX or Ghost S1.

3. I don't know if its my fault or not, but the GPU is damn noisy. RX 580 Nitro is a 2.2 slot, 44mm thick card. (according to SAPPHIRETECH) On first boot I found the fan making a sharp noise grazing the side panel, and made some quick mods. Removed the metal sticker at the center, and 4 * 1mm pads to keep GPU shroud and side panel have tiny gap.

So it might be my bad with the choice of graphics card. Use thinnest card available.

4. Not a big deal, but bundled right angle power cable is a bit tall in height.

With the bundled one installed, two of the feet are dangling over, and the cable nods upside down a bit.
it needs to be shaved about 1-2 mm.

5. Minor details.
I/O shield bulges out a bit. Also hex screws protrude a bit. Small details, but I hope they'll be perfect at next batch.

6. Personally, I would like to have more vent slits on bottom plate and cut away some unnecessary parts. This would make the chassis a little lighter.

Please make a transparent side panel using plastic.
And a rectangular dust filter with magnets on each sides too.

I really had fun time fastening screws and inserting connectors.
Maybe by the time I upgrade my components I'd try custom powdercoating, if available.

Oh, and custom diy cables too.

I really appreciate @DSE and his efforts again, and look forward to see other builds as well!

Last edited:

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Thank you for the very comprehensive review. I really appreciate you being brave enough to be my first buyer and I also appreciate how in depth this write-up was, as it's the first time I've ever done anything like this. There is so much I can learn from this.

I'm sorry to see that motherboard tab got bent in shipping. Otherwise, I'm glad to see the case arrived in relatively good shape considering it had quite a long journey to Korea.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I'll be sure to add some extra screws, shave the power cable, and add more careful wrapping and padding in my next shipments. I will keep your suggestions in my notes when designing the next revision.

Also, I'm quite surprised the Scythe Kozuti performs that well. I might have to pick one up myself.

Thanks again, @DKsystem.

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
I really like this case a lot. I'd want to buy one that was oriented 180 degrees - wires exit downward - with panels that are a little longer to get the I/O up off the desktop and shrouded some. But it looks very nice and build quality appears excellent.

Reactions: royalba94

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I’ve just realized : have you check back mb m.2 ssd temperature? As there is no plastic/ heat shield is it not an issue?

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
I’ve just realized : have you check back mb m.2 ssd temperature? As there is no plastic/ heat shield is it not an issue?
With my setup, the m.2 ssd goes up to < 60 °C . The hottest part was my GPU which is < 80°C. Not a big deal at least in my setup. There might not be enough ventilation, though, and things might be different if i OC my i5 cpu.

Front M.2 slot seems much better in terms of temp and replacement conveniency.

Last edited:

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Wait, so this end of the gpu has no support? So it's only held in by the screw and the pcie extension?

Two screws at the other side of the bracket, and the pci-e slot.
With those fixation the card is already nonmovable. I also used double sided adhesive tapes between the GPU backplate and the spine for extra.

Well, If you're really concerned about it just make a little plastic plate, drill a 8mm hole on it, and place through the switch body between the back side of pcie bracket and the hex nut. It would fix the bracket perfectly. :cool:

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Whew, I accidentally read your review comment on the gigabyte ab350n itx motherboard as "not compatible," glad I reread that again. I'm getting my case this wednesday! Thanks for the awesome review.

Reactions: DKsystem

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Whew, I accidentally read your review comment on the gigabyte ab350n itx motherboard as "not compatible," glad I reread that again. I'm getting my case this wednesday! Thanks for the awesome review.

What I really intended: "might not be compatible with both DIMM slot filled, probably compatible with 1 DIMM stick"

Sorry for the vague and misleading expression, i'll correct it right away.

Last edited:

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
What I really intended: "might not be compatible with both DIMM slot filled, probably compatible with 1 DIMM stick"

Sorry for the vague and misleading expession, i'll correct it right away.
Oh no, okay so I was initially right... well I have that exact motherboard, hopefully I can squeeze my psu cords to fit as I need both dimm slots to be used...

Reactions: DKsystem

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Thank you for the very comprehensive review. I really appreciate you being brave enough to be my first buyer and I also appreciate how in depth this write-up was, as it's the first time I've ever done anything like this. There is so much I can learn from this.

I'm sorry to see that motherboard tab got bent in shipping. Otherwise, I'm glad to see the case arrived in relatively good shape considering it had quite a long journey to Korea.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I'll be sure to add some extra screws, shave the power cable, and add more careful wrapping and padding in my next shipments. I will keep your suggestions in my notes when designing the next revision.

Also, I'm quite surprised the Scythe Kozuti performs that well. I might have to pick one up myself.

Thanks again, @DKsystem.
Are these available to purchase and if so where id love to get myself one!

Reactions: DKsystem and DSE