confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So, it's about time I built something long term. My Socket 2011 system will replace the SFFn Gold Sub Minecraft Server soon, so I need to build myself a long term system!

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-Wifi
8GB G-Skill RAM
240gb OCZ Trion SSD
PSU unknown at this point
GIgabyte GTX 750 TI LP OC 2GB
In-Win BM639 Chassis
Prolimatech Samuel CPU cooler

The case! I picked this up used, along with a Core2Duo 3ghz, itx board, ram, and PSU for NZ$40

A rear shot. Insert joke here.

These are the parts that won't be installed back into the case.

This is the front panel. See those clips? They will be useful to know about as this thread continues.

The bare chassis. Not a bad layout, but lots of room for improvement.

And all the panels.

First mod - installing Silverstone SF-01 Sound Absorbing Foam, a standard mod for me now.

The panels are done too.

The board, and cooler. Keep in mind the RAM will change to a single orange DIMM, because reasons. (this black DIMM is 4GB, my 8GB DIMMs are orange!)

Installed, looking exciting!

And from another shot.

So, where's the fun bit? Well as you may have picked by the name, I have a kind of old school, beige kinda theme, reminiscent of the systems of the mid 80's. Here's a sneak peek - this part will be 3D printed. See those clips? They are copies of the OEM front panel's mounting setup. 3D printing has that advantage!

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Pretty cool idea, never thought of 3D printing a replacement front panel for an OEM box.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Awesome! I have seen these cases around and am looking forward to seeing what you do with it. 3d printing the front panel is brilliant. Certainly will follow!

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Aug 17, 2016
That is attached to the front, that case is an In-Win BM639, awesome case to be honest, it comes with 160/180w internal psu, and the psu is not that loud, I think this is a sleeper case in the SFF community.

Did I mention that is also cheap, you can get one of those for roughly 60 euros in Spain. (PSU included)

But the front panel left a lot to be desire, @confusis would be awesome if you could release that cover so other people can mod on top of that.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I love the old-school beige idea. This build is looking rather clean! Too bad you don't have a motherboard with a green PCB! XD

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've hit the print button, so to speak. Estimated delivery of 5-10th April!

@eth0lo if it prints well I will release the sketchup file for folks to use :)

Reactions: zovc and lordzahl

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
In-win is the oem for Thermaltake in this instance. The In-Win variant has been on the market for many many years now!

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
In-win is the oem for Thermaltake in this instance. The In-Win variant has been on the market for many many years now!
I'm about to try the Thermaltake one. Hope it's good, cause it could be my last case ever, since it got all i need: half-height dual slot suport; built-in replaceable PSU; good shape, size and lots of options to maximize airflow; USB 3.0.

Wish me luck, guys! :)

Reactions: confusis