Pandora

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Hey All!

I've been a long time lurker of this forum and have really been loving all the Artisan builds that are underway and the concepts behind them! Given my own personal goals for Minimalism, I've sort of thrown together a very crude idea of a possible project I'd like to undergo.

Now I would like to say that this is a niche concept, It wont cater to the masses but most definitely caters to my needs.

So I want to keep it lower than 100mm. Sporting two 92mm fans as intake, hoping that it will prevent the components from being starved for air. I recently underwent a NES pc build and found that temperatures where up in the nineties without sufficient airflow, So with this build I plan to eradicate that issue by keeping it small and having the two fans blast air into the chassis.

I'll be using a HDPlex 250w PSU inside, In order to keep this as small as possible. Anyone with experience with HDplex products knows that these things are amazing products. I currently have an i3 6100 in my rig at the moment, Given the release of the 1060, I plan to have one of those inside the build in either Zotac's or EVGA's ITX version, The R9 Nano is simply a placeholder. In making this decision, I've pretty much narrowed myself into a corner with power draw and card length. From benchmarks that I've seen, a 1060 is pretty much a 980 on paper. That for me would be more than enough for a 1080p setup.

I realize that there's very little room between the CPU and the GPU, I'm planning on using the Noctua NH-L9i. I'm aware of the Overclock limitations of the cpu cooler as well as the possible thermal issues, but I don't plan on over clocking and hopefully with the front intake fans, temps won't become an issue.

Would love to hear your thoughts and some input on the design and possible issues I may encounter! Would also be amazing if anyone had a good idea of how to get my model into AutoCad and out of Sketchup (I tried to dabble in AutoCAD but failed miserably).

Reactions: Phuncz

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
I don't know where will you put the storage devices though. So I assume you will be using m.2 SSD only?

Just an idea, maybe you can put the HDPlex besides the GPU, using some kind of mount. It will shorten your case or you can use that space to fill an SSD.

Just my 2c. :) Goodluck with your design

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I'd be concerned about the GPU 1) heating up all the air for the CPU cooler with just radiant heat from the PCB and 2) otherwise starving the CPU cooler for air, assuming the fan is set to downdraft onto the CPU.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'd be concerned about the GPU 1) heating up all the air for the CPU cooler with just radiant heat from the PCB and 2) otherwise starving the CPU cooler for air, assuming the fan is set to downdraft onto the CPU.

I think this is a non issue. GPU this generation are very power efficient. A 1060 or 1070 consume about 150W or less. A T version is also available for cpu and those lose very little performance in games. As long as there's plenty of fresh air coming in it'll be fine.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I did a build just like this a couple years ago and everything seemed to get enough air with the case fans. One thing I would consider in your case is having the HDPlex bracketed upside down over the top of the board. That way the air will run longitudinally along the heatsink dissipating more heat (obvious plus). Have you considered one of the Dynatron blowers for your cooler? Since you're running a 35W chip, I don't believe it would spin up much, especially with the airflow coming through the case and over the heatsink.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You will need to figure out a way to add a support bracket though. Even a 750TI can get heavy. Without the PCIE connector on the board, there isn't another point of support.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Use a rigid PCIe riser card instead of a PCIe ribbon for added structural support.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It would be a little tough to source a card that is orientated that way. I think though that since you are already using a riser, a dan a4 layout would be more beneficial and would achieve better temperature while being slightly smaller. However if you are able to use a card riser, you can use a completely pcie bus powered gpu without issues.

I did investigate this layout and I concluded that since a riser was involved, it is best to just use the Dan a4 layout.

What would be the clear benefits of using this layout?

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I don't know where will you put the storage devices though. So I assume you will be using m.2 SSD only?

Just an idea, maybe you can put the HDPlex besides the GPU, using some kind of mount. It will shorten your case or you can use that space to fill an SSD.

Just my 2c. :) Goodluck with your design

Thanks to all for your inputs! Appreciate it immensely! Now to answer some questions.

Yes, I already have a 850 pro m.2 pcie SSD in my setup, So storage won't be an issue for me. I'm inclined to opt to keep the HDPlex where it is to allow for potentially longer GPU's (Albeit it fractionally longer).

I think this is a non issue. GPU this generation are very power efficient. A 1060 or 1070 consume about 150W or less. A T version is also available for cpu and those lose very little performance in games. As long as there's plenty of fresh air coming in it'll be fine.

The 1060 I'm looking at has a TDP of 120W and pair with my 6100 (55W~), I'm looking at no more than 200W approximately. And with two fans pushing air into both of the coolers fans, I can't Imagine a HUGE problem becoming from these factors.

I did a build just like this a couple years ago and everything seemed to get enough air with the case fans. One thing I would consider in your case is having the HDPlex bracketed upside down over the top of the board. That way the air will run longitudinally along the heatsink dissipating more heat (obvious plus). Have you considered one of the Dynatron blowers for your cooler? Since you're running a 35W chip, I don't believe it would spin up much, especially with the airflow coming through the case and over the heatsink.

The design of the case is intended to be a 2 part chassis. The top mirroring the bottom and locking in with the base. So attaching things to the sides (where the top half of the chassis will sit) isn't going to be an option, or at least not yet. I did a quick search on that CPU cooler and I think that my choice of Noctua cooler will benefit more from the air being blow directly into it more than the pictures that i saw of the Dynatron cooler. Although I've never had experience with that type of cooler, So I could of course be completely wrong.

You will need to figure out a way to add a support bracket though. Even a 750TI can get heavy. Without the PCIE connector on the board, there isn't another point of support.

This is correct, I will need a bracket to hold up the rear of the GPU card, Possible something out of metal or I'll make something and get it 3d printed after the fact, But it is a concern nonetheless.

Use a rigid PCIe riser card instead of a PCIe ribbon for added structural support.

I will look into this, but whether not I can get one in the orientation I need will be the problem.

It would be a little tough to source a card that is orientated that way. I think though that since you are already using a riser, a dan a4 layout would be more beneficial and would achieve better temperature while being slightly smaller. However if you are able to use a card riser, you can use a completely pcie bus powered gpu without issues.

I did investigate this layout and I concluded that since a riser was involved, it is best to just use the Dan a4 layout.

What would be the clear benefits of using this layout?

I'm definitely going with something powered outside of PCIe as I currently have a 750ti LP. And I with the fans pushing air into both of the fans, I dont think temps will be as big of an issue as you think. The Dan a4 layout requires me to run a pcie cable back behind the mobo and i really dont feel like ripping off that design. Also that design segregates the CPU and GPU into two chambers, whereas mine houses them both in the same chamber and I'm mainly betting on the two x 92mm fans to pump in plenty of fresh air.

The benefits to me are clearly size and minimalism. There will be issues that I'll face but that returns me to the point of this thread, to walk through them with other like-minded persons :)

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015

Thank you, that is appreciated :)

I'm more inclined to go with a flex option though, Given that proceeding with something like this would force me to build around the height of the riser card itself :/ I'm undecided on the matter. I may mock up a prototype out of some plexi that i have laying around later this weekend

Last edited:
Reactions: jØrd

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm more inclined to go with a flex option though, Given that proceeding with something like this would force me to build around the height of the riser card itself

If it helps, a rigid riser card is pretty easy to design yourself, so you could still keep it as an option for later, and go with a flexible riser for now.

I like the whole case being made of just two panels like that. I had a similar concept in mind for one of my cases but ultimately deemed it too boring visually and inflexible. This does of course change with the two 92mm fans you've got in the front and the simple mounting for the HDPlex, so It's certainly a viable way of designing the case.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks to all for your inputs! Appreciate it immensely! Now to answer some questions.

Yes, I already have a 850 pro m.2 pcie SSD in my setup, So storage won't be an issue for me. I'm inclined to opt to keep the HDPlex where it is to allow for potentially longer GPU's (Albeit it fractionally longer).

The 1060 I'm looking at has a TDP of 120W and pair with my 6100 (55W~), I'm looking at no more than 200W approximately. And with two fans pushing air into both of the coolers fans, I can't Imagine a HUGE problem becoming from these factors.

The design of the case is intended to be a 2 part chassis. The top mirroring the bottom and locking in with the base. So attaching things to the sides (where the top half of the chassis will sit) isn't going to be an option, or at least not yet. I did a quick search on that CPU cooler and I think that my choice of Noctua cooler will benefit more from the air being blow directly into it more than the pictures that i saw of the Dynatron cooler. Although I've never had experience with that type of cooler, So I could of course be completely wrong.

This is correct, I will need a bracket to hold up the rear of the GPU card, Possible something out of metal or I'll make something and get it 3d printed after the fact, But it is a concern nonetheless.

I will look into this, but whether not I can get one in the orientation I need will be the problem.

I'm definitely going with something powered outside of PCIe as I currently have a 750ti LP. And I with the fans pushing air into both of the fans, I dont think temps will be as big of an issue as you think. The Dan a4 layout requires me to run a pcie cable back behind the mobo and i really dont feel like ripping off that design. Also that design segregates the CPU and GPU into two chambers, whereas mine houses them both in the same chamber and I'm mainly betting on the two x 92mm fans to pump in plenty of fresh air.

The benefits to me are clearly size and minimalism. There will be issues that I'll face but that returns me to the point of this thread, to walk through them with other like-minded persons :)

1. The Noctua cooler is one of the worst coolers. It is barely an improvement over stock and all you get is the lower profile. At the expensive of 10mm, the Cryorig C7 is a much better performer. But if it has to be this low profile then so be it. I'm just not a fan of its price to performance.

2. If you split the chassis in two parts, you're going to run into engineering problems. A small run production case is already expensive as is, but now you mix more engineering, more parts, more labor, it'll drive the cost up and at that point, it wouldn't be worth the price premium. I don't see any additional functionality you add by making it a two part chassis.

3. I say using the A4 design as a point because both involves the use of a riser and a support bracket and those add to the cost. However, it has none of the benefits of the A4 design. The chambered design allows great cooling without the use of additional fans, which adds cost and noise to the case. This design is not notciably smaller than using the A4 layout (as Hutsy XS as demonstrated). And finally, minimalism is a matter of aesthetics.

There are 3 matters that you should compete on when designing your case: aesthetics, performance, and value. Weigh them carefully.

Reactions: Soul_Est

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
1. The Noctua cooler is one of the worst coolers. It is barely an improvement over stock and all you get is the lower profile. At the expensive of 10mm, the Cryorig C7 is a much better performer. But if it has to be this low profile then so be it. I'm just not a fan of its price to performance.

2. If you split the chassis in two parts, you're going to run into engineering problems. A small run production case is already expensive as is, but now you mix more engineering, more parts, more labor, it'll drive the cost up and at that point, it wouldn't be worth the price premium. I don't see any additional functionality you add by making it a two part chassis.

3. I say using the A4 design as a point because both involves the use of a riser and a support bracket and those add to the cost. However, it has none of the benefits of the A4 design. The chambered design allows great cooling without the use of additional fans, which adds cost and noise to the case. This design is not notciably smaller than using the A4 layout (as Hutsy XS as demonstrated). And finally, minimalism is a matter of aesthetics.

There are 3 matters that you should compete on when designing your case: aesthetics, performance, and value. Weigh them carefully.

Funnily enough, I actually have a Cryorig C7 on my setup at the moment! And as for your points made, I'm not concerned with a Price to performance or how many degrees better one is better than the other. Emphasis on my niche build and disregard the normal logic for this project :p I do appreciate the concerns and they are valid, But given my desires to maximize space, they aren't a concern for me :)

By making it a two part case, I would say it eliminated any need for special engineering or anything of the sort. Perhaps this might clear up my intentions:

The bottom half will essentially be a sheet of metal, with cut outs for the fans and Rear I/O and then two simple folds. The top being a sheet of metal with 2 folds, that's it. By imitating the Dan a4 Riser style and segregating the cpu from the GPU, will not only smash the simplicity of this case out of this world, It would mean more engineering and more metal being used to run a sheet right down the center. Not only will it segregate the airflow between the two chambers, It also means i need to create a bracket/mounting system similar to the Dan af case, which I have no intentions of doing.

It's not all that much smaller, This is true, But I do save a lot of space by not having a SFX PSU crammed in there and I also gain two intake fans (not sure if the Dan a4 has any).

The aesthetic appeal to me is a small box with clean edges, That's out of the way but will still pack plenty of punch. That's it, no hardcore Overclocking needed, no crazy engineering required. Just a two part box that hopefully will fair better than my NES (which is the inspiration for this build, as my design is based heavily of my learning experiences from that build). And as for Value, I think anyone who wants to take up an en-devour like this knows it's never going to be inexpensive. I'm happy to pay whatever is needed as long as I'm satisfied with the product.

Edit: This is where I'm at with the basic concept

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Funnily enough, I actually have a Cryorig C7 on my setup at the moment! And as for your points made, I'm not concerned with a Price to performance or how many degrees better one is better than the other. Emphasis on my niche build and disregard the normal logic for this project :p I do appreciate the concerns and they are valid, But given my desires to maximize space, they aren't a concern for me :)

By making it a two part case, I would say it eliminated any need for special engineering or anything of the sort. Perhaps this might clear up my intentions:

The bottom half will essentially be a sheet of metal, with cut outs for the fans and Rear I/O and then two simple folds. The top being a sheet of metal with 2 folds, that's it. By intimating the Dan a4 Riser style and segregating the cpu from the GPU, will not only smash the simplicity of this case out of this world, It would mean more engineering and more metal being used to run a sheet right down the center. Not only will it segregate the airflow between the two chambers, It also means i need to create a bracket/mounting system similar to the Dan af case, which I have no intentions of doing.

It's not all that much smaller, This is true, But I do save a lot of space by not having a SFX PSU crammed in there and I also gain two intake fans (not sure if the Dan a4 has any).

The aesthetic appeal to me is a small box with clean edges, That's out of the way but will still pack plenty of punch. That's it, no hardcore Overclocking needed, no crazy engineering required. Just a two part box that hopefully will fair better than my NES (which is the inspiration for this build, as my design is based heavily of my learning experiences from that build). And as for Value, I think anyone who wants to take up an en-devour like this knows it's never going to be inexpensive. I'm happy to pay whatever is needed as long as I'm satisfied with the product.

Edit: This is where I'm at with the basic concept

1. Good points on the engineering. I was imagining something else. But it seems you are using a very conventional manufacturing approach.

2. Do you intend to mostly make this as a one off for yourself? Do you have access to metal bending?

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
1. Good points on the engineering. I was imagining something else. But it seems you are using a very conventional manufacturing approach.

2. Do you intend to mostly make this as a one off for yourself? Do you have access to metal bending?

I can't say I have any real desires to mass produce such a thing, So yes, This is mostly for myself. I dont currently have access to any metal bending apparatus, although there are some cheap ones floating around on the web. I'll most likely get a primitive prototype togther out of either wood or acrylic and then look into having it laser cut and professionally folded etc.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Maybe not in terms of temperature, but in terms of noise the NH-L9 is a HUGE improvement over stock coolers.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The two part clamshell design is a very good and simple one. BTW the initial prototype of the Dan A4 also had two fans in front, but placed in a push-pull configuration surrouding the HD-PLEX, with one fan above the power supply, and one below. I'm not sure whether this cools better or not, but at this point it shouldn't take much to try both setups.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I went down to the hardware store and bought a heap of 3mm ply and a hot glue gun to put together a rough prototype!

But before heading out (right now) I have been struck with an almighty dilemma...

I just finished watching that...

And I must confess, I am absolutely in love! That case is practically perfect! The case is however sold out and I'm not sure If they are going to be produced again! My original drawings mirrored this design very closely, With the TRUE ITX makers in mind, I really want this, or perhaps shift my Inspiration closer to something like this.

I'm going to play around with my model, Try to see the viability of making something similar to this. I'm going to try make it in a similar fashion to my "2-piece design", as the S4 Mini's design is very complex has a lot of features I don't have a need for.

But in the mean time, I'm going to put together a rough prototype of my mark-1 design. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Josh at NFC is planning to do one last run I believe and is currently planning production shortly. I bought one of his last three about three weeks ago and he still had one orange and one plasti-dipped finish left for sale by email contact only. You might want to touch base with him to see if either of those are still available.

Reactions: Phuncz