New to SFF builds, seeking advice

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Hey guys!

I've always been really interested in small form factor builds, but I've having difficult finding a case that really suits the design and style I want.

I would like to build a 3D model to have it be built buy a computer company. I've heard of Protocase, but are there any others? I haven't seen a case made by Protocase that demonstrates they have the capability to build a case that I'd like to design.

Follow up to that, does anyone have any sort of resource or guides on how to get started with building a 3D design for a case? I've got AutoCAD and Rhinoceros installed, but it's been quite a while since I've used AutoCAD and I've never used Rhino (I'm sure I can find guides on YouTube).

One last side question. Is there a reason why so few cases follow a cube sort of design with a glass finish on the top so that you can look down an see into the case? Is it because of the possible constant heat exposure to the glass that could potentially cause it to shatter, or is it something else?

Glad to be apart of this forum now!

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
"I would like to build a 3D model to have it be built buy a computer company. I've heard of Protocase, but are there any others? I haven't seen a case made by Protocase that demonstrates they have the capability to build a case that I'd like to design."

As one of the more famous groups that take 3d renders and turns them into something real, I believe that as long as you have a good design, and deep pockets, that they could handle it. There is also @KSliger who literally makes some wonderful cases that is a member here as well.

"One last side question. Is there a reason why so few cases follow a cube sort of design with a glass finish on the top so that you can look down an see into the case? Is it because of the possible constant heat exposure to the glass that could potentially cause it to shatter, or is it something else?"

I would guess ventilation rather than the structural integrity of glass. Also how it would be mounted to the chassis that would look good. But then again, it depends on how it is designed.

Reactions: Damascus

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
"I would like to build a 3D model to have it be built buy a computer company. I've heard of Protocase, but are there any others? I haven't seen a case made by Protocase that demonstrates they have the capability to build a case that I'd like to design."

As one of the more famous groups that take 3d renders and turns them into something real, I believe that as long as you have a good design, and deep pockets, that they could handle it. There is also @KSliger who literally makes some wonderful cases that is a member here as well.

"One last side question. Is there a reason why so few cases follow a cube sort of design with a glass finish on the top so that you can look down an see into the case? Is it because of the possible constant heat exposure to the glass that could potentially cause it to shatter, or is it something else?"

I would guess ventilation rather than the structural integrity of glass. Also how it would be mounted to the chassis that would look good. But then again, it depends on how it is designed.

KSliger has admitted protocase is better for on-off. Protocase engineering costs are pretty reasonable from what I have heard.

Reactions: loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
KSliger has admitted protocase is better for on-off. Protocase engineering costs are pretty reasonable from what I have heard.

I think everyone has said that from what i have heard..... of course quite a few people still have sticker shock when they realize what protocase is going to charge for a one off, or even a limited run of a handful of units.

Reactions: Damascus

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I think everyone has said that from what i have heard..... of course quite a few people still have sticker shock when they realize what protocase is going to charge for a one off, or even a limited run of a handful of units.

Yeah, you can expect 1000+ USD on design and maybe that much on the case prototype itself, but that's CHEAP!

Sorta sad....

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018

The glass would lie flush with the sides of the case. Each corner would have a small flathead screw to securely fashion the glass.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Yeah, you can expect 1000+ USD on design and maybe that much on the case prototype itself, but that's CHEAP!

Sorta sad....

One guy a couple years ago had a sli matx briefcase style case that was over double that on the prototype lol.

Ah.. Really? Even for a smaller case?

LOL, yep.... the material cost is almost meaningless compared to the time, labor, tooling,and necessary tolerances needed for the design to be built.

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Are there any other sites that I could use to get cases built? How do manufactures such as Corsair make their cases? Is everything machined in house?

What about some of the other smaller case companies on this website?

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Are there any other sites that I could use to get cases built? How do manufactures such as Corsair make their cases? Is everything machined in house?

What about some of the other smaller case companies on this website?

1- Corsair, Lian Li, and etc buy bulk orders of 1000's of cases, buy parts in the 1000's to get discounts, blah blah blah you get the picture. And yes most have their own plant or outsourced plants to build them in mass quantity, spreading the costs out over several cases.

2-There are a lot of D-I-Y case makers here. And a lot of them do good work. It kind of depends on what level of quality and how fast you want it done. But most of them work on their own stuff that they are passionate about. For the time and money they put into it, I'd bet most would be hard pressed to leave their main careers to go full time into it.

Is this just for you? Or are you wanting to get into selling a custom case? If you had a local machine shop nearby, you could render your design and they could give a quote as well to make the parts, but you would have to assemble it. You'd also need to find all screws, paint booth, as well as a million other little things I'm not thinking of.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
1- Corsair, Lian Li, and etc buy bulk orders of 1000's of cases, buy parts in the 1000's to get discounts, blah blah blah you get the picture. And yes most have their own plant or outsourced plants to build them in mass quantity, spreading the costs out over several cases.

2-There are a lot of D-I-Y case makers here. And a lot of them do good work. It kind of depends on what level of quality and how fast you want it done. But most of them work on their own stuff that they are passionate about. For the time and money they put into it, I'd bet most would be hard pressed to leave their main careers to go full time into it.

Is this just for you? Or are you wanting to get into selling a custom case? If you had a local machine shop nearby, you could render your design and they could give a quote as well to make the parts, but you would have to assemble it. You'd also need to find all screws, paint booth, as well as a million other little things I'm not thinking of.

Yeah, that's about it.

There is no cheap way to do it.

Sorry, @ElfinHilon10...

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018

Ahh I suppose that's the answer I needed.

I would love to get into a case making business, but I wanted a prototype first so I could show something off, then try a gofundme or kickstarter or something. I feel like (obviously subjective) that I have good ideas in my brain, but in your brain is one thing vs actually being made and working well.

I just feel like a lot of case makers do a lot of same thing when it comes to design, and like I mentioned above, I've been looking for a SFF case in a specific style, but can't quite find what I want. The closest I've found was Luna Design DNK-H, but I'd also need a full PSU and a dGPU to fit inside that case, which given it's dimensions, is just not possible.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
For perspective, I’m in the heavy equipment business, bulldozers and such. I just paid $145 just for a flat panel with all the needed cutouts for the controls, lights, mounting hardware, and installation that measures roughly 12”x18” for one of our machines.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
My opinion would be to render your idea and try to build a real, as close to spec concept case yourself with what tools you have access to. You will see a lot of what does and doesn’t work. Things on paper don’t easily transition to the real world. After that and some more changes, you may find it better to diy a real prototype or at least start getting real quotes from people like protocase to move your dream further along.

ElfinHilon10

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
My opinion would be to render your idea and try to build a real, as close to spec concept case yourself with what tools you have access to. You will see a lot of what does and doesn’t work. Things on paper don’t easily transition to the real world. After that and some more changes, you may find it better to diy a real prototype or at least start getting real quotes from people like protocase to move your dream further along.

Yeah, I've been trying to build it with Rhino. I'll see what I can get with that and go from there. Thanks :)

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Or take my route and start hacking aluminum angles :p If I can validate the thermal, acoustic and aesthetic performance with a handmade chassis I'll use that as a jumping board for a group buy or kickstarter with an actual manufacturer.

Started today, pretty happy with the progress