Concept has anyone thought of creating a mITX motherboard?

Marzipan

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
this is more of a random thought / concept...but I see cases and power supply projects here, but has anyone thought about a motherboard created to cater to specific case types or shapes so that cooling and GPU placement is optimized?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I recall an indie project for mATX motherboard did use crowdfunding to make custom boards using a Z87 chipset, and while it was designed in-house the OEM was Gigabyte.

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
Definitely thought about it, but currently in a position where I can only dream... :)

Would love to see an x570 mITX or even mSTX completely *littered* with m.2 4xPCIe slots (nine of them, to be precise) and no other (PCI) expansion ports. Because if we are doing Riser cables everywhere why not go all in? Want to build a NAS with 9 NVMe PCIe drives, or a quad-GPU compute server in a 1U blade server?

It would allow for some new interesting setups as well. For instance, what about a completely flat "Console style" case where the GPU is an extension part of the motherboard mounted 90 degrees and then a big fat slab of watercooling the same size as the motherboard on top of that? How about a case thickness between 20-40mm, external water and brick, and air goes straight through the radiator in a push/pull at a single place and that's it? ?

Might as well wish for a flying pig though, ain't gonna happen. But sure is fun to dream!

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
There might be some benefits to a re-engineered ITX motherboard design, but it's mostly constrained by specifications, and cooling benefits would be marginal (I think). GPU placement can be done any way you want with a riser.

I would be more interested in a new high-end mini GPU design, either AMD or Nvidia.

I want a 2080 Ti or upper-range Navi in a ~200mm or less length, true 2-slot card, with a Nano-like hybrid axial/centrifugal design (heatsink fins parallel to airflow from front of case, allowing air to pass from front-to-back). Paint or ceramic-coated copper. And put a good, quiet FDB fan on it (why not source or license it from Noctua, Be Quiet!, Scythe, etc who actually make good fans, not just a cheap industrial fan). Aluminum or other non-plasticky shroud. And no crappy TIM.

Is that too much to ask? ?

(Rhetorical question, don't answer that :p)

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Would something like SFF Lab (@Wahaha360) have the resources to be able to collaborate with one of the main motherboard manufacturers?

---

While we are on the subject of wish listing, my dream itx board would be: Wifi, 4 SODIMMs (bonus if ECC), 2 M.2's, some U.2/OCulink ports and a UHS-II SD card reader on the back.

Or this, but with an AM4 socket.

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I would love so see a board with X570 quality but no Southbridge. It was worked out and talked about in one of these threads before.... Ryzen has enough PCIE lanes and USB controllers on the chipset to support a typical ITX board. No wasted space, less heat, and no worrisome fan on the board.

Reactions: paulesko