Log ORODRUIN: 5L Brickless workstation Skyreach S4 Mini - Ryzen 3950x - 2070 Super Mini - 64gb RAM

noleggio

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
Orodruin
(Mount Doom) because: endgame. Also, this thing is going to run hot with the 3950x and 2070 Super Mini packed into a 5L case.

My goal with this build is to run all the components at a comfortable temperature without needing to undervolt. That means high quality thermal paste, heatsinks on everything, and 6 (might be 7) Noctua fans to cool the system without it sounding like a jet engine. I'll be replacing the 2070 shroud & fans with 2x Noctua fans and adding 2 more behind the card (in lieu of 2 SSD drives) in an attempt to fit as much cooling and airflow into this build as possible. If I fail, I'll likely move the workstation to a case with a little more room but that certainly takes away from the wow factor- I hope it ends up successful and stable!

LINE ITEMS:
  • KEY COMPONENTS:
    • Case: R5 NFC S4 Mini
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
    • GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini
    • RAM: super micro ddr4 2666 64gb ram
    • Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

• COOLING:
    • CPU Cooler: Black Ridge Cooler + Fan Splitter + Shipping
    • Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste
    • Case Fan: Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM 5.53 CFM 40 mm Fan
    • Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.Black.swap 33.84 CFM 92 mm Fan
    • Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12X15 PWM CHROMAX.BLACK.SWAP 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan
    • Custom: CPU Fan Shroud

• POWER & MISC:
    • PSU: HDPLEX DC POWER
    • PSU: HDPLEX AC DC Brick
    • VRM Mosfet heatsinks
    • custom cables GPU
    • NVME Heatsink
    • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
    • Misc. Shipping / fees
TOTAL: $3426.50

List:

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Interested to see how this turns out. I had a similar idea for a build but I had concerns about the 400 watts being enough. My other alternative was to use a 9700k instead of the 3950x since it'll be primarily for gaming.

Reactions: noleggio

noleggio

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
This is my first ITX build and to start, I'll offer up some words of advice for those in a similar boat: Try to be as patient as you can.

My unrealistic goal of building this in just 1 week set me up for some stress and anxiety. Take the time to do your research and do it well. I have entire folders of bookmarks that I'd pick what information I could off of so that I could apply it to this build. Everything from clearance to inspiration to suggestions and saved comments.

That being said, here we go!

-

We start with the Skyreach S4 Mini and the "core" components. Mobo, GPU, Memory, and CPU Cooler. I came to learn that these components together in an S4M can mean headaches if not modified + planned for accordingly.

To fit the blackridge cooler, the X570 Aorus needs to lose the PCH fan. Easy as taking 2 screws off and uncoupling the fan header.

Next installing the VLP RAM. Regular low profile ram will not work! VLP is also expensive so be warned.

Time to put the NF-A12X15 in the blackridge cooler. This part seems straightforward but I must have taken it off the mobo at least 3 times to ensure it fit properly over the ram. There is almost 0 clearance once you get this installed in the case and the sidepanels are in place.
TIP: If this is going in an S4M, you need to bend it down to ~47mm at its highest point beforehand or it will cause severe motherboard warp. Real sketch. I used a blow dryer and some spare scraps of wood wedged where the fan would have been to keep it as straight as possible then gloved hands to bend it. Also, the blackridge sits high off the motherboard without grommets or spacers in place. Be real careful here as this is another great opportunity to totally warp your motherboard. I ended up using some spare HDD "anti-vibration grommets" that i had in my parts bin.

Straightforward CPU Installation:

If you look closely at the image below, there are "anti vibration pads" on the noctuas. Ditch these. Trust me, you'll need the room.

Finally the fun part: Modding the 2070S Mini with Noctua NF-A9x14 fans. If you're way past the return date (like I was) I threw caution to the wind and took to it like a madman. Screws? Bye. Wiring? Bye (but please take picture because you shouldn't void your warranty like Nolegs was ready to do.
TIP: You need to take off the heatsink in order to get the backplate off the 2070S. This is a great time time to put the fancy schmansy thermal paste of your choosing and get rid of the stock paste. Who the hell uses stock thermal paste?

The 2070S Mini looks like a super industrial beast with the noctuas installed. I don't think I'll ever stay with stock fans ever again.

Also, If you're going to install additional fans where the backplate used to be, you'll need to take off these 2 rubber spacers in order to have the clearance to install the skybrackets w/ fans attached.

Next up: Trying to cram ahem... "test fit" this into the case

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 2, 2019
Nice work! My only concern with this build is using the 3950X with a Black Ridge cooler. While the Black Ridge can compete with coolers 20mm taller, I don't think it will be able to tame 16 cores without under volting the CPU (even with the 120mm fan). I look forward to your results.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Nice work! My only concern with this build is using the 3950X with a Black Ridge cooler. While the Black Ridge can compete with coolers 20mm taller, I don't think it will be able to tame 16 cores without under volting the CPU (even with the 120mm fan). I look forward to your results.
right, most people with 3950x and the Blackridge run them in eco mode, correct?

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 2, 2019
I've only seen a few build logs on various forums, but heat was an issue that required under-volting or disabling SMT.

Germanator0414

Cable Smoosher
Jan 23, 2018
I've only seen a few build logs on various forums, but heat was an issue that required under-volting or disabling SMT.
I'll also be doing a build just like this, I plan to undervolt the 3950x and stress test. If I don't like what I see then I'll most likely get a 3700x.

I know Josh from NFC, benchmarked a stock 3950x and got temps around 95 when running P64v266 (Small FFTs) for 10 min. Clock rate was at 3600.

Link

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 2, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade the OP (or anyone else) from using the 3950X in the S4M. Just something to consider. I'm interested in seeing the results of this build.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade the OP (or anyone else) from using the 3950X in the S4M. Just something to consider. I'm interested in seeing the results of this build.
what about the 130W TDP ID cooling IS-47K cooler, its supposed to cool more TDP of heat than the blackridge, but we havent seen anyone do any temp comparisons yet. @Germanator0414

noleggio

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
With the arrival of a micro 4 pin cable splitter from CRJ, shift bracket, and HDPLEX power supply, it's time once again to continue the build.

In goes the Skybracket with dual 92mm fans and the 970 Pro nvme drive.
Tip: It's much easier to maneuver the 2070S into place if you take off the adjacent side of the case. Once I got to this point, that skeletal piece stayed off until I installed the HDPLEX into my case.

*Warning* As sexy as the NFC branded riser cable from Lian Li looks, it doesn't allow the clearance for installation of the 2070S. Luckily I had a spare Siliflex cable laying around and made the swap.

Followed up with the GPU (still using OEM Zotac bracket) to confirm fitment. An anxiety laden shorting of the mobo power pins and I'm greeted with the relief of a POST. What do happy campers do? I'm pretty sure they immediately load up Windows 10.

Everything seems to be working up to this point so it's time to bend my shift bracket. I go through 3 out of the 5 I bought from Sendcutsend before I cave and spend the extra 50 bucks to buy an 18" metal brake from Harbor Freight. Another few days of waiting is worth the perfect bend. 4th times the charm ?

GPU fits!
blurry phone pic cause #yolo

Kareon Kables to the rescue. I tuck them as much as I can tuck them to free up room for the other cables.

Tip: I notice cable connections being strained whenever I place the S4M sidepanels on so I ziptie connection points to ensure stability. Easier to put the strain on cables than having to RMA entire parts just for a busted connector.

(Not pictured is an electrical tape covering to ensure cables don't pop out for any reason)

The fully assembled S4M case forces the GPU cables to sit real tight against the HDPLEX though so I opt to take off the PSU panel to free up the extra milimeter of space. It also turns out I can't comfortably fit the GX16 Connector without making some scary bends so removing the rear panel of the HDPLEX brick is a no brainer. Don't forget to use some electrical tape for the sensitive bits! The removal of the rear brick panel spares you a few millimeters of additional space in front of the case and easier installtion of a 16mm vandal switch.

Annnd she's all put together! A quick dash of cable management and some final inspection for fit.

At this point, it's 4AM and I'm both exhausted and so relieved that everything fits and turns on. This is what 4am looks like:

Not tired enough to clean up and put things away though ;)

Up Next: Benchmarking

*Spoiler Alert*

*Edited July 20, 2020*
Preliminary testing and the 2070S hasn't gone over 45C while gaming and the 3950X lives at 39C idle/40's for light CPU load. These temps were taken at night in a garage with ambient temp @ 16C

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
2070S doesnt go over 45C while GAMING? wow... and i thought those rear fans were rubbish lol

by the way you're benchmarking with the side panels on in a vertical config right?

Also DAMN this is a nice build, nice work on brickless 2070S, and with the Chromax fans! I made my own low profile cables similar to the Kareon cables you have , was able to add extra heatshrink on the pins for safety, which i preferred. Either way those low profile cables are amazing, right?! Would you please post pics of the inside of the build completed but with the side panels off? im curious what your surfaces between the 2070S and the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC look like.

EDIT: oh, and amazing work on bending the Blackridge cooler down to fit! how did you do the bending? do you have a pic of that or an illustration? I'm just curious as I have a Blackridge I'd like to fit in my S4MC brickless build too, (it needs a few mm of bending as well). Thanks!

Oh and are you having to run your CPU in eco mode or whatever it's called? thats a BEAST of a CPU for the Blackridge to be cooling!

Last edited:

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Fantastic work! Can't wait to get started on mine. I'm just waiting on some extra parts right now. Wow you're really tempting me to go with a 3950x instead of a 9700k

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
I am surprised to hear that a 3950X (105 Watt TDP) runs with 40-50 degree under load, while the watercooled 3950X hits 70+ degree . I also have 70+ with with my 2600 (65 Watt TDP). What are we doing wrong? Beside not having the pc in the (colder) garage and different cooling solutions. But so much better is really impressive.

noleggio

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
2070S doesnt go over 45C while GAMING? wow... and i thought those rear fans were rubbish lol

by the way you're benchmarking with the side panels on in a vertical config right?

Also DAMN this is a nice build, nice work on brickless 2070S, and with the Chromax fans! I made my own low profile cables similar to the Kareon cables you have , was able to add extra heatshrink on the pins for safety, which i preferred. Either way those low profile cables are amazing, right?! Would you please post pics of the inside of the build completed but with the side panels off? im curious what your surfaces between the 2070S and the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC look like.

EDIT: oh, and amazing work on bending the Blackridge cooler down to fit! how did you do the bending? do you have a pic of that or an illustration? I'm just curious as I have a Blackridge I'd like to fit in my S4MC brickless build too, (it needs a few mm of bending as well). Thanks!

Oh and are you having to run your CPU in eco mode or whatever it's called? thats a BEAST of a CPU for the Blackridge to be cooling!

I'll update the post with answers and more detailed photos for you @CubanLegend I'm currently working on finishing up a hydroponic system so that's taking up my time at the moment.

Reactions: CubanLegend