Original XBOX HTPC. Computer inside XBOX case.

Zaazu

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I set out on the task of making myself a HTPC, but I wanted something special, so I shoved a whole computer inside of an original xbox case.

Finished Product:

Specs (Already had some components from previous build):

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K4Z7bj

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£201.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone - AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£108.16 @ BT Shop)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£112.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 120GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£52.31 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate - Momentus SpinPoint 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate - Archive 8TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Low Profile Video Card (£138.16 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular Flex ATX Power Supply (£60.00)
Other: NOCTUA NF-A6x25 PWM (£11.90)
Other: Original Xbox (£15.00)
Total: £699.51

Some Comments:

Graphics card never reaches 65c~ under load
Processor almost never reaches 70c~ under load

I was really worried the small FlexATX power supply would sound like a jet as its basically a server power supply, but the fan is completely silent, even under load. I had to check that the fan was working as I was getting worried but all is good!

Fans are audible in a quiet room but any noise will drown them out (like from a TV).
Side fan is set to silent, I don't think I needed to use it with the middle cut out and meshed.

Runs Windows 10 Enterprise with a custom shell that boots into Kodi for TV, Movies, Music, etc.

Has the option to launch BigBox which is an awesome emulation frontend that I highly recommend. It can run anything up to and including Wii U games (Although that emulator is still in development!).

Build Log Album (Has lots of comments on how I made it):

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
iirc those controller ports were USB signalling over a propriety connector. Wondering if it would be possible to hook 'em up to the front panel USB header. Can still find the adaptors to convert them back to USB on flebay for cheap. Would make for some semi-stealth functional ports in the front to help w/ the sleeper look.

Reactions: Biowarejak

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
iirc those controller ports were USB signalling over a propriety connector. Wondering if it would be possible to hook 'em up to the front panel USB header. Can still find the adaptors to convert them back to USB on flebay for cheap. Would make for some semi-stealth functional ports in the front to help w/ the sleeper look.

I leave this here

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I saw your post over at r/sffpc. The modding looks so clean, nice job.

Last edited:

Zaazu

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah I'll need to get some, spent too much money right now though :D