Orangulan Deux - 2 Bricks 1 Case

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
In development. Nothing more to report at this time.
I wonder if it's meanwell based solution you've mentioned before or a separate project.
Man, HDPlex 400w AC-DC, KMPKT Merge, KMPKT Heatsink, Accessory kit for dual brick combo, so much stuff going on, leaves me guessing which one would be revealed first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Unfortunately I've halted this build for the time being and will likely be parting it out if anyone is interested in any of the bits and pieces or alternatively taking the project over.

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Unfortunately I've halted this build for the time being and will likely be parting it out if anyone is interested in any of the bits and pieces or alternatively taking the project over.
That's sad, man. I was really hoping to see it finished.
Do I understand correctly that project is pretty much runnable with dual bricks, few custom cables, loading sharing board and KMPKT dynamo combo?
The only stuff it's lacking right now are mounting points and possibly some cooling solution for brick next to GPU?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That's sad, man. I was really hoping to see it finished.
Do I understand correctly that project is pretty much runnable with dual bricks, few custom cables, loading sharing board and KMPKT dynamo combo?
The only stuff it's lacking right now are mounting points and possibly some cooling solution for brick next to GPU?

Yeah. In testing it's run pretty well so far and I don't see any issues with it running in the long term. Odds are I will resurrect it when the KMPKT Merge is released or alternatively on the HDPlex 400W AC-DC platform. Not really sure yet (very much on the fence).

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Yeah. In testing it's run pretty well so far and I don't see any issues with it running in the long term. Odds are I will resurrect it when the KMPKT Merge is released or alternatively on the HDPlex 400W AC-DC platform. Not really sure yet (very much on the fence).

Yeah tough spot to be in. In your shoes, I'm not sure what I would do. I guess it would depend on how far out the HDPlex 400 ACDC is.

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018

Orangulan Deux Build Log

I'd like to introduce my first Not From Concentrate S4M build, Orangulan Deux. For those of you not familiar with my first Orangulan build, you can find it here:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-s4-mini-77-orangulan-brickless-s4.812/

As a long time hater of external AC-DC bricks, the obvious motivation for my first Orangulan build was to eliminate the pesky AC-DC brick so many small form factor PC users have grown accustomed to. By the time I had completed my first Orangulan build, I had successfully managed to not just eliminate the external power supply but also to cram a significantly larger amount of computing power into the S4M-C's diminutive frame that I had originally planned. I was especially pleased by the build's reception in the small form factor community and the series of similar builds that followed including the eventual GTX 1060 version of the brickless S4 Mini.

When I learned the particulars of the new Skyreach 4 Mini, my brain immediately set to work in figuring out how best to implement a brickless build for this new and exciting platform. My first idea involved making a 3D printed kit I dubbed the "Fat Boy" that essentially spaced out the side panels of the case in order to accommodate the HDPlex 300W AC-DC unit. This plan was immediately crushed when I received my case and attempted to fit the PSU into the case alongside my Zotac GTX 1080 Mini. Because the HDPlex units will only fit under the GPU in cases where a reference height card is used, there was simply not enough room to use this brick without chopping up the case.

As I continued to play around with the various orientations of both the HDPlex 300W and 160W AC-DC units, I quickly realized that it was possible to fit two HDPlex 160W AC-DC adapters inside the front of the case when using a 170mm GPU. Furthermore, with the recent revision to the HDPlex 160W AC-DC to provide substantially more power than its predecessor, this build will hypothetically provide a rated 320W of power with a peak wattage of over 400W in a teeny-tiny package. I will be merging the two AC-DC power supplies into a single unit using the Mini Box Y-Pwr load sharing controller which can output up to 30A @ 19V (380W).

As such, here is the parts list for this build:

CPU: Intel i7 7700K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270N-Gaming 5
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz DDR RAM Kit (with orange accents)
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe Drive
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Mini ITX 8G
CPU Cooler: Top Secret
AC-DC Power Supply - HDPlex 160W AC-DC x 2
DC-DC Power Supply - KMPKT Dynamo 360 + KMPKT Dynamo Mini
Power Merging Device - Mini Box Y-Pwr Load Sharing Controller (Hopefully replaced by KMPKT Merge eventually)

Of course this build will require a fair amount of modification to actually get off the ground, and this is where I will need a little help from my friends. In collaboration with @Josh | NFC, I will be 3D printing a modification kit for the build (provided we can pull it off) that will allow for secure mounting of the both the AC-DC and DC-DC power supplies at appropriate locations within the enclosure. I will also be making extensive use of Not From Concentrate's custom bulgin switches, C8 inlet connectors and SkyWire Cables to pull this build together. I'm really excited to share this build log with the Smallformfactor.net community and hopefully it will be a success.

And now the first look:

Amazing cant wait to see the end result. Thought about getting that board myself because I found it on sale and looks good. Any resaon you picked 7700k over coffee lake? Also do you paint your own cases, I like the stock but def pops with some custom color.

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
It comes down to board size. While 6mm taller, the Gigabyte is 45mm shorter. I would have used my Zotac 1080 Mini for this build, but it's just too long.

Doesn't hurt that gigabytes colors are black and orange.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm actually redoing this build with the AsRock X470 and a 2700x combined with the Vega 56 Nano and the new 400W HDPlex AC-DC/Dynamo Combo. I've sent it off to Josh @ NFC for super-pro custom finishing and hopefully a build video. Shipped yesterday and should arrive at his place early next week

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm actually redoing this build with the AsRock X470 and a 2700x combined with the Vega 56 Nano and the new 400W HDPlex AC-DC/Dynamo Combo. I've sent it off to Josh @ NFC for super-pro custom finishing and hopefully a build video. Shipped yesterday and should arrive at his place early next week
It will be so great that hdpexl ac-dc is able to resist current peak...cherry on the top will be without any coil whine..:)

Reminds me my trial with nfc S4 mini and my R9 nano...that ends with external sfx psu..:D

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
As a teaser there is more AC-DC goodness to come as well. Going to be a very exciting fall for the community. Will share as I get permission to do so ;)

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018

I'm curious... Why the switch from intel/nvidia to full AMD components? Any particular technical reason behind this or is it just to stay true to the color scheme? XD