Orangulan Deux - 2 Bricks 1 Case

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yep. I've sent the specifications for the first few 3D printed parts to @Josh | NFC. I've also purchased a new motherboard as the Gigabyte boards have the worst socket location on the market for this build. My plan is to log the first half of this build and then send it down south to him for finishing. I'll probably get some more photos up on Friday.

tmackerm

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
Count me in as eagerly awaiting this build. I'm putting together a 1060 brickless, but the idea of a 1080 brickless is very exciting. With any luck the next generation of NVIDIA cards will need even less power and we will have more "mini" options available.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just posting an update including basic cable routing and component placement in the S4M. If you guys have any suggestions for improvement, please let me know!!

The layout:

First off, here are most of the major components. Note that the Noctua L9i is likely a placeholder for now

Here is the entire power system layout including the Mini Box Y-PWR Adapter

Here you can see the orientation of the two HDPlex 160W AC-DC units inside the front of the case

Need to pull off the bottom brace of the inner chassis to put the AC-DC units in front of the motherboard and GPU (extremely small tolerances)

With GPU/Motherboard and both AC-DC units

Here you can see the top end of the case including the Y-PWR adapter and Dynamo Mini. The Dynamo Mini will be using a short Skywire 24 pin extender and be mounted facing the way you see it in this photo

And here you can see the bottom of the case. We are preparing a custom bottom brace for mounting of the Dynamo 360

Last edited:

Morris

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Woah, nice! I don't have anything to contribute, just wanted to say that I'm eagerly looking forward to your next batch of progress photos!

Morris

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
What's the plan for bringing power to the two AC-DC adapters? Is it possible to use a single power source for both with some kind of splitter, or does it require two separate cables?

I ask because I was looking at adding a small second internal AC-DC adapter to my build to power my Cintiq. That way, when I take it on location, I could potentially use a single power cable. Either that or go "brickless" with the display by routing power through the small second brick in the case.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
What's the plan for bringing power to the two AC-DC adapters? Is it possible to use a single power source for both with some kind of splitter, or does it require two separate cables?

I ask because I was looking at adding a small second internal AC-DC adapter to my build to power my Cintiq. That way, when I take it on location, I could potentially use a single power cable. Either that or go "brickless" with the display by routing power through the small second brick in the case.
Just split the wire. Doesn't take specialized hardware. What do you think happens inside your walls or extension power plugs? As long as the wire's rated for enough amperage (AC is high voltage low current so the choice is plenty).

Reactions: vidsgame and Phuncz

Morris

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Just split the wire. Doesn't take specialized hardware. What do you think happens inside your walls or extension power plugs? As long as the wire's rated for enough amperage (AC is high voltage low current so the choice is plenty).

Ohh. Right. That makes sense. Thanks for replying so quickly.

Do you know what those plastic clips on the end of the HD Plex adapters called? Cleanest way (from a modular perspective) would be to make a Y adapter of 2 female 3 prong connector merging into a single male 3 prong connector, rather than soldering it all into a single unit.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Do you know what those plastic clips on the end of the HD Plex adapters called? Cleanest way (from a modular perspective) would be to make a Y adapter of 2 female 3 prong connector merging into a single male 3 prong connector, rather than soldering it all into a single unit.

JST ELP or ELR connector, 3 position. I mix up ELP and ELR, but if you look them up it should be quite obvious which you need. Also yeah, I'm just planning to solder two leads to a C8 inlet connector to power the two units.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
C8 connector feeding dual ELP 3 position is the plan.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
That lower hdplex 160 unit is going to have a hot time in there :cool: I have the same Gigabyte 1080 mini and it really dumps some hot air from the back- / frontside of the card. Don't get me wrong I think the Gigabyte card is the best 1080 mini card out there, but the cooling is peculiar.
I have mine in a unmodded S4M-C so the bezel blocks airflow, it gets toasty but so far so good.

Buld is looking good, and the color is just my kinda orange :thumb:

Reactions: Reldey

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I too have a feeling the brick by the GPU is going to shutdown based on heat being dumped from the GPU under load, but I hope I'm wrong. This is a great idea.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I plan to have a 140mm x 13mm Cryorig fan immediately behind the GPU and directly up against the lower 160W AC-DC unit. Unless I am mistaken it should pull a fairly large volume of air through the lower portion of the case and exhaust it out the back. Considering it moves 65 CFM I am hopeful it will keep both the GPU and lower brick temperatures quite manageable.

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
maybe you have already considered using a 4cm scythe fan next to the lower brick (attaching from the side). I used it to cool down an overloaded hdplex230 and it did a nice and silent job. however it might need its own cutout on your custom bottom brace.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
maybe you have already considered using a 4cm scythe fan next to the lower brick (attaching from the side). I used it to cool down an overloaded hdplex230 and it did a nice and silent job. however it might need its own cutout on your custom bottom brace.

I have considered this, but I don't think there is adequate space for it. Tolerances in this build are pretty absurdly tight.

Reactions: rokabeka

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
How the hell did you get your I/O shield to line up properly lmao. I have the same motherboard in my Sentry and it's totally out of whack (but I mean I left It like that because I got sick of screwing with it).

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I dunno, but the low end AsRock I/O shields are pretty shit. It's the one consistent complaint I have with their products. Seriously a half decent I/O shield would add negligible cost to the board. I'd be more than happy for them to bump the price a couple bucks for it.