Advice Optimum Tech - Ncase M1 Dual Radiator Clone with available parts

bntjah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
Hey Egoisst,

From what I could find from reading around the Optimus seems to be pulling ahead when more TDP is pulled by the CPU.
Since I'm not really planning on overclocking (unless you count PBO) and I just want to be sure that if I ever need to do this I have a block capable of doing it...
I plan on sitting on my 3900x for a while since its a capable work horse for my workload for now. So hence my reasoning for the optimus, I don't expect there to be much difference between EKWB and Optimus when everything on stock but hence my reasoning.

But quick update I can borrow a cpu block from a friend who isn't really using it at the moment. Its an old EKWB Supremacy Evo block which I will be picking up after work later on and then will be beginning to try and transplant everything...

So will report back here how it goes and what pitfalls I ran into...
I'm just hoping it won't be as hard as fitting an Asetek 645LT into a Dan A4v3 which really took me a few days to figure out how to get everything in without obstructing the fan...

And again this is all my opinion so don't take these for facts ;-)

haoryouu

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2019
Optimus I had a 4 degree difference under a full stress test on my 3950x over my velocity. My only complaint about Optimus was the shipping to get it was about 3 months, but probably due to COVID.

egoisst

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Oh Guys,
this is the problem with building the own computer - there are so many choices and waiting times it could take forever to build it ;-)

I think the optimus is too price in europe ( ~ $55 shipping to europe + ~ $ 80 tax) and the heatkiller is about € 70.

Does the Hitkiller IV comes with brakets and the stuff i need for an am4 mainboard?

EK lists two "16/10 "tubes :
EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm or the
EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 16,1/11,1mm

Ali used the 15,9/ 9,5mm tube right?

bntjah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
The problem is that there are to many options around and I've been waiting since end of June for everything to arrive.
Currently my Ncase M1 is populated just waiting on me to fix some minor issues (like where to put the fan splitter) and put tubing in.

I'm not sure what EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black I received as Highflow.nl (shop where I ordered most of my parts) didn't really specify other then 16/10 ...

I didn't really run into any pitfalls so far with installing everything and for now its super smooth (except for stuff I didn't fit in the right order, connecting the front panel with the 24 pin's already connected and the gpu wasn't the best idea)
Quick testing did show that EK Vector RTX fits as stated in my previous posts with removed plastics, also my MSI RTX2070 Aero's back plate fitted just fine on the EK Block so I'm returning the backplate that I got in case it didn't fit later on back to the shop.

Concerning the Heatkiller I can't really say what it will come with as I didn't go for it.
But I'm presuming it will come with everything needed to fit it snug to your CPU and your Motherboard...

Will see if I can update here with everything I used so you got a clear idea of what you might need to order.

egoisst

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Thank you bntjah,

i got my tx240 radiator from highflow.nl ( very fast shipping and thanks for the extra sweets) and should have taken the tube also there ;-)

Highflow.nl was so nice and put the EAN code (3830046999207) next to the titel so yes, its original called the:

EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm ( Product EAN: 3830046999207) 5/8" od and 3/8" ID

bntjah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
Well I must have missed that part but happy you noticed it! :-)
I just ordered with Highflow as they answered any questions I had pretty fast and professional and was one of the shops I found the TX240 within Europe.
As this was in Netherlands and since I'm living in Belgium just decided to go with them as shipping would be pretty speedy (I think it was next business day after they sent it)

egoisst

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
One thing i missed in your Post was the Quick Connect, aren´t you using one?

Ali used in his Video: Optimum Tech Alphacool Eiszapfen Quick Connect Video

2x the "Alphacool Eiszapfen HF Schnellverschlusskupplungsset G3/8 IG mit Reduzierer G1/4 - Deep Black" (with the EAN Code: 4250197173704)
but its not in stock until september :(

Did anyone here found an alternative part to the alphacool quick connecter?

bntjah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
I haven't found an alternative either so thats why I kinda left it out...
As I'm currently planning on working without the Quick Disconnects and might add them at a later time

wzhalex

Trash Compacter
Jul 22, 2020

Might be an alternative, this one is a little different from alphacool quick disconnect since this one has compression fitting on it so it connect to your tube, but alphacool's Quick Disconnect connects to the compression fitting.

Correct me if I am wrong, not 100% sure about this.

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
Can't afford to buy all at once but my list is as follows

Purchased so far :

Iceman & Pump ( Might change this pump )
Iceman Pump Conversion Kit & Outer Housing
10X Ek Quantum Torque STC
EK Water Blocks EK-Velocity Digital Addressable RGB CPU Water Block
EK Coolstream PE240
XSPC TX240

Hopefully, i don't run into many issues my first water-cooled build always used AIO's.

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
Guys sorry for spamming the thread, I recieved most of my bits today. When i have the Iceman do i need some sort of extension for the tubing to connect too or will two of the compression fittings go right on ? Just need the quick disconnects, angled connectors and i think i am nearly there.

wallsofjericho

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2020
Guys sorry for spamming the thread, I recieved most of my bits today. When i have the Iceman do i need some sort of extension for the tubing to connect too or will two of the compression fittings go right on ? Just need the quick disconnects, angled connectors and i think i am nearly there.

don't forget matching screws for the bottom xspc rad with the noctua slim fans: UNC 6–32 screws with 3/4 inch length should do the job.

Reactions: Teletubby89

bntjah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 1, 2019
I did a connection with a compression fitting (out) and a 45° degree (in) so two compression fittings should go right on the iceman...

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
Iceman should be with me Tuesday so getting extremely close, anyone has any idea what purple coolant he used?

Done my research on fluids what to use whatnot, it looks the nuts the one he used.

egoisst

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Hey SFF!

I got my Iceman Ncase Reservoir today and connected my new Heatkiller IV with the EK 240 Radiator and the Iceman/ Alphacool DCC Combo.

My results:

CPU temperature Idle: 34-45 °C
Prime / heavy: 80 °C

Something is wrong with my setup the cpu temperatures are going from 34°C to 80°C in about 5 seconds and when i close prime its going down very fast 40 in about 10 seconds....

I used just a small amount of thermalpaste (about 4mm dip in the middle of the Heatkiller) should i add more or should i try something different?

watts_happening

Caliper Novice
Apr 15, 2020
Sounds to me like you have incomplete contact between the head spreader and water block. There are many schools of thought on applying TIM, but what I normally do is use a spreader to create a thin layer across the whole CPU.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Hey SFF!

I got my Iceman Ncase Reservoir today and connected my new Heatkiller IV with the EK 240 Radiator and the Iceman/ Alphacool DCC Combo.

My results:

CPU temperature Idle: 34-45 °C
Prime / heavy: 80 °C

Something is wrong with my setup the cpu temperatures are going from 34°C to 80°C in about 5 seconds and when i close prime its going down very fast 40 in about 10 seconds....

I used just a small amount of thermalpaste (about 4mm dip in the middle of the Heatkiller) should i add more or should i try something different?
What version of Prime95 are you using? If it's the AVX workload one, then this is normal.

Prime95 kicks the shit out of your CPU. What you have described is that the CPU block can't pull heat away from the chip fast enough because the CPU is producing so much heat so quickly. Your cooling capacity is enough because you return to lower temps so fast, its just that your bottleneck is the heat transfer from CPU to the CPU block. The solution here sadly is lapping, delidding, or direct-die.

For what its worth I have a custom loop and Prime95 still makes me hit 80+

egoisst

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Hey Guys,
i took off the cpu cooler, cleaned the cpu and put new thermal paste on it (i put the thermalpaste with a small plastic tool on the cpu, just to have everywhere a flat surface of thermal paste on it).

Idle temps: ~ 41°C - 50°C
Load with: Prime95 v29.8 build 6: ~ 93°C

The alphacool Laing DDC310 i bought for the IceMan Cooler Pump Reservoirs is pumping water like crazy (noisy and very annoying) and the worst thing:
i cant controll the speed, i can just read the RPMs ( MSI Mainboard is showing 3200 RPM).

What are your temperatures with AMD Ryzen? (i am using a Ryzen 5 3600)

Things i have to do:

+ Replace the DDC310 with a DDC pump i can control the speed - is there any ddc pump for dual radiators with just the 4 pin motherboard connection ( without the 4 pin molex?)
+ Test another CPU Waterblock?
+ Wait for RTX 3080 (with a Waterblock?) - what are you waiting for?