News NZXT H1 is new SFF case that includes 650w SFX and 140mm AIO

Interesting new case from NZXT. The price is high at $350 but does come with bundled 650W SFX power supply and 140mm AIO. I don't think it's a fit for most of us here but in nice to see a "mass market" vendor deliver interesting, nicely designed SFF cases.

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
I may be in the minority but I think people are being far too harsh when it comes to ventilation. Yes yes yes it could always be better. But this is NZXT we are talking about airflow choke kings. I'm impressed they have so much perforation.

And while the GPU temps aren't in the top tiers. The reviews I've seen it's not in the bottom either.

People will figure out how to optimize this thing. And personally I think this is the most exciting mainstream case since the lian Li pc011 dynamic.

All of that said. I have extremely strong feelings about the psu and aio bundle. I've loved to own this case. But I'm not going to be constricted by their hardware choices. And the $ value is not even there. The deal is just ok not great.

Just back on the termals. I wonder if some 40mm fans could be placed somewhere for exhaust?

Or if there would be room in the front for slim fans if the TG was swapped for mesh.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You could also rotate the motherboard I/O and the PSU to face the back =
Sure, but then you have a completely different design altogether. Arguing "this would be much better if it was completely different!" is rather silly IMO. And you would also then have to deal with internal extensions for the GPU, limiting compatibility. Also, having cables sticking out from the entire height of the rear of the case isn't a particularly good solution either. Every design has its pros and cons.

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Just back on the termals. I wonder if some 40mm fans could be placed somewhere for exhaust?
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like 3 or 4 40mm fans could fit behind the GPU exhausting through the rear mesh.

winterbegins

Efficiency Noob
New User
Feb 11, 2020
Sure, but then you have a completely different design altogether. Arguing "this would be much better if it was completely different!" is rather silly IMO. And you would also then have to deal with internal extensions for the GPU, limiting compatibility. Also, having cables sticking out from the entire height of the rear of the case isn't a particularly good solution either. Every design has its pros and cons.

Fair enough, but a top exhaust fan would have been possible even without moving any parts around.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I may be in the minority but I think people are being far too harsh when it comes to ventilation. Yes yes yes it could always be better. But this is NZXT we are talking about airflow choke kings. I'm impressed they have so much perforation.

And while the GPU temps aren't in the top tiers. The reviews I've seen it's not in the bottom either.

People will figure out how to optimize this thing. And personally I think this is the most exciting mainstream case since the lian Li pc011 dynamic.

All of that said. I have extremely strong feelings about the psu and aio bundle. I've loved to own this case. But I'm not going to be constricted by their hardware choices. And the $ value is not even there. The deal is just ok not great.

Or if there would be room in the front for slim fans if the TG was swapped for mesh.

I don't know why non of the reviews just flipped the fans on the AIO and even PSU to aid in GPU exhaust airflow.

9/10 I'll take higher CPU temps for lower GPU temps.

Reactions: SSJ4

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Fair enough, but a top exhaust fan would have been possible even without moving any parts around.
That is another matter entirely, and I agree that this would have been a good addition to the case. Though i think just replacing the TG with mesh would do enough on its own. Mesh and a top fan, though... yeah, that'd be something.

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
I don't know why non of the reviews just flipped the fans on the AIO and even PSU to aid in GPU exhaust airflow.

I was pretty surprise OT didn't do it. Since he usually covers fan orientation and fan swaps in his reviews and builds.

CPU temps are really good. So perhaps a fan swap and flip would be a good compromise on CPU for the sake of the gpu.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I was pretty surprise OT didn't do it. Since he usually covers fan orientation and fan swaps in his reviews and builds.

CPU temps are really good. So perhaps a fan swap and flip would be a good compromise on CPU for the sake of the gpu.

NZXT's marketing blurb regarding airflow:

"The dual-chamber airflow is thermally designed to allow the CPU, GPU, and PSU to pull in fresh air, and exhaust hot air without affecting temperatures of neighboring components."

This reads like all fans are intake, with pure positive pressure out the perforated back panel as the exhaust?

And when one looks at the AIO when it is flipped open, one can see the support arms (between the fan frame & hub), which we traditionally see on the side of the fan the air is flowing out of? I guess I will go over to OT's YouTube review & drop a comment, maybe he can give us more insight!

(...I would really love to see someone do a short video with a slip of paper taped to the AIO/fan when flipped open, see if it pulls it against the fan or blows it away from the fan...)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Could one just tape over the top exhaust of the GPU to force all the air out the back of the chassis and prevent it from going up towards the glass?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
NZXT's marketing blurb regarding airflow:

"The dual-chamber airflow is thermally designed to allow the CPU, GPU, and PSU to pull in fresh air, and exhaust hot air without affecting temperatures of neighboring components."

This reads like all fans are intake, with pure positive pressure out the perforated back panel as the exhaust?

And when one looks at the AIO when it is flipped open, one can see the support arms (between the fan frame & hub), which we traditionally see on the side of the fan the air is flowing out of? I guess I will go over to OT's YouTube review & drop a comment, maybe he can give us more insight!

(...I would really love to see someone do a short video with a slip of paper taped to the AIO/fan when flipped open, see if it pulls it against the fan or blows it away from the fan...)
Your observation is correct. NZXT does design the case to have air flows into the case via the 2 sides (GPU sucking air in on one side, and the 140 fan-rad + PSU sucking air in on the other side) and then (relying on whatever positive pressure there is) air exhausts out passively via the rear panel. Optimum Tech's video shows this at around 4:25.
I think, if the fan of the rad is flipped to reverse its airflow direction, then this might potentially recirculates the air from the PSU as they are just next to each other.

Leinel

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2019
Having trhe NCase M1, I ordered the H1 already. The Footprint is exactly what I wanted in order not to waste any space on my desk. It is going to sit next to my monitor. Waiting fo my M1 for some months last year, I even built something quite similar, But with 2 240 Kraken X52 (one for the GTX 1080 ti with Kraken G12). The build Quality was good enough, but the height with the 2 AIOs was clearly too much. So I made a case very similar to the NCase, with loudspeeker fabric as side and top Panels.
Living in Germany, I had to spend About 300 Euros (shipping cost and taxes), so the H1 a real deal for me getting it for 349 Euros.
The downsize is that it is expected to come in the beginning of May, it is a Long time waiting.
Regarding the TG, I may switch to a Aluminium mesh Panel connected via Magnets. I am very curious, if it is going to be on the louder side or as silent as my NCase build. I will post my results here, when I test it. I am Pretty sure to sell it quite easily if it doesn't work for me.
sff builds

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Having trhe NCase M1, I ordered the H1 already. The Footprint is exactly what I wanted in order not to waste any space on my desk. It is going to sit next to my monitor. Waiting fo my M1 for some months last year, I even built something quite similar, But with 2 240 Kraken X52 (one for the GTX 1080 ti with Kraken G12). The build Quality was good enough, but the height with the 2 AIOs was clearly too much. So I made a case very similar to the NCase, with loudspeeker fabric as side and top Panels.
Living in Germany, I had to spend About 300 Euros (shipping cost and taxes), so the H1 a real deal for me getting it for 349 Euros.
The downsize is that it is expected to come in the beginning of May, it is a Long time waiting.
Regarding the TG, I may switch to a Aluminium mesh Panel connected via Magnets. I am very curious, if it is going to be on the louder side or as silent as my NCase build. I will post my results here, when I test it. I am Pretty sure to sell it quite easily if it doesn't work for me.
sff builds
Let me know if the flat perforated panel also fits in place of the TG side.

Leinel

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2019

I saw a Video, the rear flat panel does not fit, because there is some kind of knob. Dremel should save it, it's only one. Got no idea, if the side panels fit.

Reactions: Nanook

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I saw a Video, the rear flat panel does not fit, because there is some kind of knob. Dremel should save it, it's only one. Got no idea, if the side panels fit.

Gear Seekers showed this in their follow-up video:

Now, I have watched a BUNCH of videos on the H1, so I get them confused some, but one video had temps with TG & with the back panel moved to the front, looks like GPU temps dropped at least 10 degrees C or so with a perforated front panel in place of the TG front panel?

Another video I just watched stated that NZXT will be making some changes to the H1 going forward; slightly longer PSU cables & a PCIe Gen4 riser cable...!

Here is to hoping that the (forthcoming) B550 ITX mobos have an onboard USB Type-C header...!

Perfect all-AMD all-PCIe Gen4 gaming rig:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8c/16t CPU
B550 ITX mobo (with onboard Type-C USB header)
16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600/16 DDR4 RAM
1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD
Triple fan open air Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU (7nm+ refresh)

And who knows, maybe NZXT will sell the perforated back panels as a stand-alone SKU, then one could get one, snip off that single alignment pin that is causing interference issues & Bob's your uncle...?!? ;^p

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar and Nanook

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Really want to buy this case, but I dont need the psu or watercooler lol. Would anyone here be interested in buying the cooler/psu if I buy the kit?

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

Not really, the radiator they are using and its placement is a direct copy of the ONE.

Really want to buy this case, but I dont need the psu or watercooler lol. Would anyone here be interested in buying the cooler/psu if I buy the kit?

Unlikely, as the watercooler will only work in that case, as it is specially tailored for that layout.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I wonder if you could fit an itx GPU with a 120mm AIO kit on it instead of going with a full length.
Theoretically, it is possible.
Eg Gigabyte 2070 Mini is 170mm x 122mm, so there is a whole bunch of length (305-170)=135mm to fit a 120 fan-rad. NZXT says it can fit 2.5 slot width, which is about 50mm for the combined thickness of fan+rad, which should be achieved.

Reactions: scatterforce