News NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 & RTX 4080 16GB/12GB max TGP and GPU clocks specs have been leaked

The 'default' is 450W....and can be raised by BIOS to 660W(!). Hence all the rumors of crazy power draw.

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
i'm more concerned about the costs. buying the cards first and then the electricity bill...

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
This has me more worried about this next gen of nvidia bs

So you spend the $$$$$$$$$$ on a gpu and have a good chance to screw the card up permanently (or have it short out an catch on fire) if you just.... normally plug an unplug your gpu power cable to say..... clean it normally for dust (cause lets face it dust happens even with filters but this is a 4090 your gonna run no filters to keep this thing "cool")

Reactions: Skripka and rfarmer

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
Original poster
May 18, 2020
This has me more worried about this next gen of nvidia bs

So you spend the $$$$$$$$$$ on a gpu and have a good chance to screw the card up permanently (or have it short out an catch on fire) if you just.... normally plug an unplug your gpu power cable to say..... clean it normally for dust (cause lets face it dust happens even with filters but this is a 4090 your gonna run no filters to keep this thing "cool")
Jays2Cents did a video about this...on set, during recording, he said the plug got noticeably harder to seat/unseat just in 10x cycles. Which is insane. A connector that fragile should be made very differently--and is IMO a failure of engineering.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You can have connectors made for a limited number of connection cycles, there's nothing wrong with that when it is expected to only be needed for replacement. Many connectors in the car industry are specced like that I would guess. I'm guessing Nvidia decided on a connector type that only is disconnected a few times in it's lifetime. When troubleshooting, this becomes a problem, so I guess Nvidia must think their products extremely rarely fail and require no maintenance like cleaning. Also, they don't want people to resell their cards so they can just ignore that as well.

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic