Cooling Noctua NH-L9i vs NH-L12(without top fan).

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
I'm curious if anyone has any input on which would perform better. I realize I'm paying about $20 more for the L12 and not even using one of the fans, but it's all in the pursuit of a better and smaller system! Also, does anyone know if the L12 will even fit on the Asus Strix Z270i MoBo? I would be using Corsair LPX RAM with it.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I believe the L12 with a 92mm fan outcools the L9i flat out. Considering the fortress of heatsinks around the CPU socket on the Z270i, I'd be wary of using this cooler unless you can find a build somewhere online using it successfully.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have both and my experience is also that the NH-L12 is much more capable and quiet than the NH-L9i.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I'm curious if anyone has any input on which would perform better. I realize I'm paying about $20 more for the L12 and not even using one of the fans, but it's all in the pursuit of a better and smaller system! Also, does anyone know if the L12 will even fit on the Asus Strix Z270i MoBo? I would be using Corsair LPX RAM with it.

The NH-L12, like @Phuncz said, is really way more capable of doing a better job at cooling in low profile (66mm).

If you got more space to spare, replace the stock 25mm fan for a slim version and enjoy the better of both worlds: volume and performance.

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Yeah, the site says height without 120mm fan 66mm.

Another Q can you sling the 120mm underneath? maybe offset by a couple of mm if there is interference with the heat pipes.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Another Q can you sling the 120mm underneath? maybe offset by a couple of mm if there is interference with the heat pipes.

Only in certain scenario's. You need VLP ram and it won't fit in all directions if you do.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
There's another point to compare: I've tried a couple of coolers that have the fan on top, and when the fans gets close to the panel vents, there's quite some noise from turbulence. Having the fan underneath and exhausting through the heatsink, eliminates this noise completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Any chance you have an idea of how you expect the HSLP-48 to compare to the L12 and L9i both in aluminum finned and all copper variants?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I noticed on your [H] thread you have quotes for an all copper version of your heatsink as well as a copper base/pipe version with aluminum fins. I am just wondering how you would expect the two variants of your heatsink (or even the all copper one) to perform with relation to the L9i and L12. Sorry if my question was unclear.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I think it will perform on the same level as the L12 but I hope the temps will be 2-3 degrees lower.