With the advent of Intel’s new LGA1700, the old uSFF stalwart cooler, the Noctua NH-L9i, was made unusable to those who want the latest and greatest platform. LGA1700’s mounting hole dimensions are larger at 78mm square versus LGA115X’s 75mm square. Also of note is that the CPU heatspreader on the new platform being 1mm shorter than previous generations – meaning even if the mounting hole pattern hadn’t changed, the contact pressure of existing coolers would likely be incorrect to enable proper thermal transfer.
Noctua has just announced that they now have an LGA1700 version of the L9i available for purchase – the NH-L9i-17xx. Available in both the glorious* coffee and cream, and the all-black Chromax colour schemes, the new cooler model is available from today on Noctua’s Amazon store, with retail partners getting stock soon.
* (opinion of this article’s author) 
Noctua claims the updated cooler can handle even the high end i9-12900K, with an overclock to 4.2GHz, drawing a 160w...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dealda and Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
One thing I'd be concerned about with the fan duct is the seal between the layers - it seems the layers aren't stuck together and are just friction fit on the tubes. Unless you tension the layers down with the side panel (which could be difficult with slide on panels), you may end up with the layers getting tweaked, unless the density is sufficient.

Also worth looking at is the dust attraction/cleaning aspects - one of the Intel Thermal Guide solution issues I remember back in the day is the ducts would get coated in dust due to static..

As an aside, the retro Intel thermal guide i'm referring to; https://t1.daumcdn.net/cfile/tistory/1523C4344D9089AA34?download

Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
One thing I'd be concerned about with the fan duct is the seal between the layers - it seems the layers aren't stuck together and are just friction fit on the tubes. Unless you tension the layers down with the side panel (which could be difficult with slide on panels), you may end up with the layers getting tweaked, unless the density is sufficient.

Also worth looking at is the dust attraction/cleaning aspects - one of the Intel Thermal Guide solution issues I remember back in the day is the ducts would get coated in dust due to static..

As an aside, the retro Intel thermal guide i'm referring to; https://t1.daumcdn.net/cfile/tistory/1523C4344D9089AA34?download

Hard to tell until I have it in hand. I plan to test it with a Dan A4SFX, Noctua L9i, and 9900KF