Tom’s Hardware’s reviewer Albert Thomas  has put together a project I’ve wanted to do for quite some time by testing the Intel i9-13900K against Noctua’s line-up of five low profile coolers. This includes the renowned Noctua L9i-17xx, and the very popular L-12 Ghost and L-12S. All testing was done in a Sugo 14 SFF case by SilverStone. The results are very informative.
CLICK HERE to see the article.
For those that haven’t bought a new CPU in many, many years, the Intel i9-13900K will run hot on almost any size cooler. Because modern CPU performance for both Intel and AMD has become a balancing act of power, noise, and cooling capacity far more so than...

Continue reading...

Reactions: BaK and ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Interesting.. The NH-L12S vs NH-L12 Ghost comparison shows the difference between 120mm fans VS the 92mm fans. I wonder what the numbers will be if the same 120mm fans is also used for the NH-L12 Ghost.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Interesting.. The NH-L12S vs NH-L12 Ghost comparison shows the difference between 120mm fans VS the 92mm fans. I wonder what the numbers will be if the same 120mm fans is also used for the NH-L12 Ghost.

The additional fan definitely helps. I have the L12 Ghost in a RAW S1 and adding the 120mm fan was the difference between overheating and running well.

Reactions: rfarmer

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The additional fan definitely helps. I have the L12 Ghost in a RAW S1 and adding the 120mm fan was the difference between overheating and running well.

... and the weird thing is that the NH-L9x65 somehow managed to rank in-between both L12 coolers

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
... and the weird thing is that the NH-L9x65 somehow managed to rank in-between both L12 coolers
Which was the complete opposite of what I saw in the RAW S1. The L9-65 performed poorly once the case was closed up.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
A few points to Tom’s Hardware Noctua SFF Cooler Round Up:

The Noctua L9x65 along with the L12S and L12 Ghost Edition each include 2 sets of mounting bars for AMD sockets to allow the CPU cooler to be rotated in 90 degree increments to ensure the cooler heat pipes are not mounted with the “U” of the heat pipes facing downwards on vertically mounted motherboards as per Noctua installation guidelines.

The L9x65 cooler is cleverly designed so that the single pair of fan clips can affix either the A9x14 or A9x25 fan to the CPU cooler – the A9x25 fan raising the cooler height to 76mm. The A9x25 fan has a maximum 2000 RPM and has no noticeable whine that can be noted compared to that of the 2500 RPM A9x14 fan.

The Noctua L12 Ghost Edition (GE) cooler is equipped with the older lower performance 1600 RPM B9x25 fan. Replacing the B9 fan with the 2000 RPM A9x25 will significantly improve its cooling performance with no change in cooler height of 66mm. Strangely however, Noctua includes their higher performance NTH-2 thermal paste instead of the NTH-1 included with all of the other coolers. I believe the article is wrong regarding the heat pipe length of this cooler. The L12GE is 4mm lower in height than the L12S, but the heat pipes on the L12GE extend 4mm further out from the rear of the cooler. The L12GE is also 20 grams heavier than the L12S. Not much, but more mass is more mass. Noctua will also provide fan clips for a 120x25mm top mounted fan at no charge with proof of purchase of the L12GE.

My suggestion is if you intend to use the A12x15 fan, purchase the L12S – you have everthing you need at either 70mm or 85mm in cooler height.

If you intend to use an A12x25 fan, purchase the L12GE, order the free fan clips, pay for an additional 120x25mm fan with a cooler height of 91mm. As to using the L12GE in a dual fan configuration, I would not bother as I replaced the B9 fan with an A9x25 and mounted an A12x25 top fan in dual downdraft mode with both fans having a matching maximum 2000 RPM. After considerable testing, the addition of the lower A9x25 fan at most reduced the temperature by 1C at the cost of additional higher pitched noise than that caused by the 120mm fan.

I think both the D9L and the L9x65 coolers are best suited to slightly larger cases with at least one additional case fan for cooling motherboard components.

For extremely small cases with no space for a case fan, I believe most builds will be better served by a 120mm downdraft cooler providing airflow to other motherboard components. With all of the downdraft coolers, remember to have enough space above the cooler/fan to eliminate fan intake noise and not smother the airflow to the CPU.

As to competitive coolers, I would look at the Thermalright AXP120-67 for a smaller downdraft cooler https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...right-axp120-x67-noctua-l12-ge-coolers.17908/,
or for larger, the Thermalright SI-100

Last edited:

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
A few points to Tom’s Hardware Noctua SFF Cooler Round Up:

The Noctua L9x65 along with the L12S and L12 Ghost Edition each include 2 sets of mounting bars for AMD sockets to allow the CPU cooler to be rotated in 90 degree increments to ensure the cooler heat pipes are not mounted with the “U” of the heat pipes facing downwards on vertically mounted motherboards as per Noctua installation guidelines.

The L9x65 cooler is cleverly designed so that the single pair of fan clips can affix either the A9x14 or A9x25 fan to the CPU cooler – the A9x25 fan raising the cooler height to 76mm. The A9x25 fan has a maximum 2000 RPM and has no noticeable whine that can be noted compared to that of the 2500 RPM A9x14 fan.

The Noctua L12 Ghost Edition (GE) cooler is equipped with the older lower performance 1600 RPM B9x25 fan. Replacing the B9 fan with the 2000 RPM A9x25 will significantly improve its cooling performance with no change in cooler height of 66mm. Strangely however, Noctua includes their higher performance NTH-2 thermal paste instead of the NTH-1 included with all of the other coolers. I believe the article is wrong regarding the heat pipe length of this cooler. The L12GE is 4mm lower in height than the L12S, but the heat pipes on the L12GE extend 4mm further out from the rear of the cooler. The L12GE is also 20 grams heavier than the L12S. Not much, but more mass is more mass. Noctua will also provide fan clips for a 120x25mm top mounted fan at no charge with proof of purchase of the L12GE.

My suggestion is if you intend to use the A12x15 fan, purchase the L12S – you have everthing you need at either 70mm or 85mm in cooler height.

If you intend to use an A12x25 fan, purchase the L12GE, order the free fan clips, pay for an additional 120x25mm fan with a cooler height of 91mm. As to using the L12GE in a dual fan configuration, I would not bother as I replaced the B9 fan with an A9x25 and mounted an A12x25 top fan in dual downdraft mode with both fans having a matching maximum 2000 RPM. After considerable testing, the addition of the lower A9x25 fan at most reduced the temperature by 1C at the cost of additional higher pitched noise than that caused by the 120mm fan.

I think both the D9L and the L9x65 coolers are best suited to slightly larger cases with at least one additional case fan for cooling motherboard components.

For extremely small cases with no space for a case fan, I believe most builds will be better served by a 120mm downdraft cooler providing airflow to other motherboard components. With all of the downdraft coolers, remember to have enough space above the cooler/fan to eliminate fan intake noise and not smother the airflow to the CPU.

As to competitive coolers, I would look at the Thermalright AXP120-67 for a smaller downdraft cooler https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...right-axp120-x67-noctua-l12-ge-coolers.17908/,
or for larger, the Thermalright SI-100

Fantastic work Mark! We need to turn this into an main page article.

Quick question as I may have missed it in the post. When you tested the L12GE with the A9x25 in or out of a case? In my own testing I've found that the secondary fans help more with a restrictive cases.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Fantastic work Mark! We need to turn this into an main page article.

Quick question as I may have missed it in the post. When you tested the L12GE with the A9x25 in or out of a case? In my own testing I've found that the secondary fans help more with a restrictive cases.
Tested the cooler both in and out of cases initially with two fans. Let me review my records for exact details - I can run some additional comparisons both on my open test chassis and in a case.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I own both NH-L12 (the original edition, 66 mm tall), as well as the NH-L9x65, and I can confirm the performance insight as what @Mark13 said.

I really wish that Noctua's latest 92mm slim fan goes up to, say 2500 RPM instead of just 2200. Or heck why not allow up to 3000 RPM, and then let each user decide the max RPM they want considering the noise.

Reactions: rfarmer