Noctua A9x14 between sidepanel and GPU, has anybody tried this?

zoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Hi

At first, sorry for my bad english :)

Coming from a 2080S Strix with a 3700X I've upgraded to a MSI Ventus 3090 OC and a Ryzen 5950x.
I was planning to get a 5800X or 5900X but the 5950X was the only available CPU in store that day and I knew this is going to be difficult to air-cool and well, it is :)

this is my setup:

Ncase M1 6.1
5950X
2x 16GB@3800Mhz
Ventus 3090 OC
Strix 570-I
Noctua C14S with Noctua A12x25 PWM below exhausting through the cooler and towards the panel
Corsair 750W in ITX position pulling air from the sidepanel and exhausting on top (i prefer it pulling as cold air as possible independent from the rest of the system)
2x Noctua A12x15 as exhaust on the Fan/Radiator bracket
1x Noctua A9x25 in the back which I'm currently not using as it creates noisy turbulence even at low RPM between the AF12x15 mounted next to it.

To my suprise, cooling the CPU under full load is a non issue with a C14S. In fact it runs cooler than my 3700X which I still can't believe.

I've tried many different fan setups in the past and I did get the lowest temperatures overall when I ran all the Noctua fans as exhaust, the only fans pulling air in are the ones from the GPU at the bottom.

This configuration did work great, although the CPU did get a little warmer having to deal with the heat coming from the 2080S under load.

With the Ventus 3090 it's a complete different story, that card generates so much more heat which is mostly being pulled out through the CPU cooler and the two A12x15 and it heats up the CPU reaching 70°C+ doing nearly nothing.

So I came up with a few ideas:

1)
Deshroud the Ventus 3090 (I got it for this reason) and put two A12x25 below. But in the prefered intake position all the heat would still go through the fans and the cpu cooler on top of it. I might lower the noise but the problem won't be solved.

2)
Deshroud the Ventus and try two A12x25 in exhaust and switching the all the other fans on top to intake. I know this is regarded as the best solution for deshrouded GPUs but some guy did this with a Ventus 3080 and the results weren't that great, infact the GPU temperatures were lower with intake position.

3)
Deshroud the GPU sometime later and mount as many Noctua A9x14s between the sidepanels and the GPU pulling and exhausting all or most of the hot air out of the case before it reaches the area of the CPU on top. I've noticed I could fit at least 3x of them between the sidepanels and the GPU. Two on the left side below the NF12x15 and one would fit below the PSU on the right side. Mounting will be an issue but should be possible somehow.

Please check the pictures :)

I made them using the A9x25 which of course is too wide but there is definitely enough space for 14mm width fans, especially if I mount the sidebracket with the two A12x15 in the higher position.

What do you guys thing could work best?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Last edited:

zoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
I case anyone is interested, I opted for deshrouding my card and installed 2x A12x25 at the bottom as exhaust.
All other fans are also exhausting and seems what many are saying is the way to go, get as much heat ouf the case as possible. :)

I also won't be reinstalling any 92mm fan at the back. Even if it might slightly further reduce the temperatures
the given negative pressure with this setup is more than enough and the potential added noise, another fan cable to route is not worth it imho.

I absolutely recommend the MSI Ventus 3080 and 3090 for deshrouding in a M1. It's only 6 screws to remove the shrouding with the attached fans and the two cables detach very easily.

The CPU, Mobo and the especially the Chipset stays much cooler once the GPU starts coming into play and I couldn't be happier. :)

Reactions: benAbraham

Isucc

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 22, 2020
Hi there, I have the same GPU, and I was wondering what your undevolt was and your temps? Also I was wondering if you used the radiator bracket for the Noctua fans?

zoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
GPU is set to max 0.850V@1875Mhz and Memory@20000MHz but temperatures depend on the Power Budget used. Cyberpunk uses around 330W and hovers around 69°C with my fancurve but Battlefield V or Anno 1800 with a bit of resolution scaling use up to 380Watts at just 0.850V with temperatures around 74°C. The Ventus has a max PL of only 350W which constantly limits the boostclocks even at 0.8V@1800Mhz in certain scenarios. I've replaced the default Bios with the one from the Gigabyte 3090 OC with a max PL of 390W (the highest from any 2x8Pin Card) to get around this issue. Note that you loose the middle display port doing this!

The GPU temps aren't much of an improvement compared to stock fans, but all the heat gets sucked out of the case at an overall much lower noise level. Beware the amount of heat coming out at the bottom, some tables with paint or other materials might change color or something. :)

Yes I've used the radiator bracket for the two A12x15. I can post a picture later.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23607

Hi

At first, sorry for my bad english :)

Coming from a 2080S Strix with a 3700X I've upgraded to a MSI Ventus 3090 OC and a Ryzen 5950x.
I was planning to get a 5800X or 5900X but the 5950X was the only available CPU in store that day and I knew this is going to be difficult to air-cool and well, it is :)

this is my setup:

Ncase M1 6.1
5950X
2x 16GB@3800Mhz
Ventus 3090 OC
Strix 570-I
Noctua C14S with Noctua A12x25 PWM below exhausting through the cooler and towards the panel
Corsair 750W in ITX position pulling air from the sidepanel and exhausting on top (i prefer it pulling as cold air as possible independent from the rest of the system)
2x Noctua A12x15 as exhaust on the Fan/Radiator bracket
1x Noctua A9x25 in the back which I'm currently not using as it creates noisy turbulence even at low RPM between the AF12x15 mounted next to it.

To my suprise, cooling the CPU under full load is a non issue with a C14S. In fact it runs cooler than my 3700X which I still can't believe.

I've tried many different fan setups in the past and I did get the lowest temperatures overall when I ran all the Noctua fans as exhaust, the only fans pulling air in are the ones from the GPU at the bottom.

This configuration did work great, although the CPU did get a little warmer having to deal with the heat coming from the 2080S under load.

With the Ventus 3090 it's a complete different story, that card generates so much more heat which is mostly being pulled out through the CPU cooler and the two A12x15 and it heats up the CPU reaching 70°C+ doing nearly nothing.

So I came up with a few ideas:

1)
Deshroud the Ventus 3090 (I got it for this reason) and put two A12x25 below. But in the prefered intake position all the heat would still go through the fans and the cpu cooler on top of it. I might lower the noise but the problem won't be solved.

2)
Deshroud the Ventus and try two A12x25 in exhaust and switching the all the other fans on top to intake. I know this is regarded as the best solution for deshrouded GPUs but some guy did this with a Ventus 3080 and the results weren't that great, infact the GPU temperatures were lower with intake position.

3)
Deshroud the GPU sometime later and mount as many Noctua A9x14s between the sidepanels and the GPU pulling and exhausting all or most of the hot air out of the case before it reaches the area of the CPU on top. I've noticed I could fit at least 3x of them between the sidepanels and the GPU. Two on the left side below the NF12x15 and one would fit below the PSU on the right side. Mounting will be an issue but should be possible somehow.

Please check the pictures :)

I made them using the A9x25 which of course is too wide but there is definitely enough space for 14mm width fans, especially if I mount the sidebracket with the two A12x15 in the higher position.

What do you guys thing could work best?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Tested. Can confirm the one under the PSU is excellent. Kinda hard to get it firmly seated without zip ties though.

D

Deleted member 23607

Hi there, I have the same GPU, and I was wondering what your undevolt was and your temps? Also I was wondering if you used the radiator bracket for the Noctua fans?
OP is definitely using the side fan mount bracket. I'm not sure there's any other way to mount fans there (other than zip ties of course).

HES

Efficiency Noob
Dec 21, 2020
Hey. I have planned a similar build with Deshroud (first experience of self-assembly of a PC).

I'm just planning to install the NZXT Kraken X53.

Questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that for better thermals performance, I need to put ALL FANS on blowing outside/exhaust? And to mount the AIO as a panel->radiator<-fans, which blow air from the case through the radiator into the holes in the side panel?

2) MSI Ventus 3090 OC is the best choice for Deshroud mod? Or are there other cards with better performance and better thermals? Tuff? Gigabyte 3090 OC?

3) Is it ok to use a B550 board with Ryzen 5950x (GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX)? Or is it better to use the X570 (i have no ryzen 3th-series for updating the BIOS for the used 5th series, maybe X570 motherboards from the box won't see the 5950x)?

4) Can the Noctua NF-A9x14 on the rear panel be installed for blowing? Or blowing out/exhaust too? or it is not necessary?

5) Are the front USB/audio ports available with MSI Ventus 3090 OC?

HES

Efficiency Noob
Dec 21, 2020
6) Better used plus 2xNF-A12X15 on AIO? Or just change stock on Kraken X53 to 2xNF-A12X25?

D

Deleted member 23607

Hey. I have planned a similar build with Deshroud (first experience of self-assembly of a PC).

I'm just planning to install the NZXT Kraken X53.

Questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that for better thermals performance, I need to put ALL FANS on blowing outside/exhaust? And to mount the AIO as a panel->radiator<-fans, which blow air from the case through the radiator into the holes in the side panel?

2) MSI Ventus 3090 OC is the best choice for Deshroud mod? Or are there other cards with better performance and better thermals? Tuff? Gigabyte 3090 OC?

3) Is it ok to use a B550 board with Ryzen 5950x (GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX)? Or is it better to use the X570 (i have no ryzen 3th-series for updating the BIOS for the used 5th series, maybe X570 motherboards from the box won't see the 5950x)?

4) Can the Noctua NF-A9x14 on the rear panel be installed for blowing? Or blowing out/exhaust too? or it is not necessary?

5) Are the front USB/audio ports available with MSI Ventus 3090 OC?

1. Correct.

2. Yeah, for ease of convenience. I heard the Gaming OCs have some weird adapter that prevents a deshroud and TUF has massive tabs. Bending them will void your warranty.

3. Yes it is. If you want to spend more on a X570 board go ahead. I'd think you are pushing the envelope a bit with the B550I AX.

4. Yes and yes, HOWEVER you can actually fit a A9x25 there. If you're running the X53 as exhaust you want the A9x25 as intake (AFAIK). If you go push-pull on the X53 you want it as exhaust.

5. Yes. All four connectors too. It's a tight fit though.

6. If you wish to pursue the more difficult push-pull setup go for it. It's more a matter of hassle.

Isucc

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 22, 2020
OP is definitely using the side fan mount bracket. I'm not sure there's any other way to mount fans there (other than zip ties of course).
I meant to ask about the fan gasket that you can replace the anti-vibration pads with

D

Deleted member 23607

I meant to ask about the fan gasket that you can replace the anti-vibration pads with

Ah, sorry for misreading the question.
I don't believe OP is doing so but can confirm it works as I've seen someone else with them.

Reactions: Isucc

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
2. Yeah, for ease of convenience. I heard the Gaming OCs have some weird adapter that prevents a deshroud and TUF has massive tabs. Bending them will void your warranty.
Do you mean the weird PCIE power connectors on the Gaming OCs? That's mounted on the backplate so deshrouding is fine.
Ventus has a "graphene" backplate that feels like plastic - I suppose even downcosted cards like a Zotac 3090 Trinity will offer better VRAM cooling.

Gigabyte's Eagle/Gaming/Vision use rather filmsy VRAM thermal pads - I heard Thermal Grizzly Minus 2mm makes for a good replacement though. If you're on the 3080, there also isn't any thermal pads contacting the backplate to the other side of the PCB where VRAM is - you'll want to put some there.

Zotac is also an alternative for deshrouding, although the Gigabyte probably runs better thanks to the wider heatsink. I would get the Trinity only if it's cheaper.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23607

Do you mean the weird PCIE power connectors on the Gaming OCs? That's mounted on the backplate so deshrouding is fine.

Ventus has a "graphene" backplate that feels like plastic - I suppose even downcosted cards like a Zotac 3090 Trinity will offer better VRAM cooling.

Gigabyte's Eagle/Gaming/Vision use rather filmsy VRAM thermal pads - I heard Thermal Grizzly Minus 2mm makes for a good replacement though.

Zotac is also an alternative for deshrouding, although the Gigabyte probably runs better thanks to the wider heatsink. I would get the Trinity only if it's cheaper.

Oh, thanks for the information about the Gaming OCs! That's good for prospective testers.

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
Has OP came back with any results from this? Found some decent deals for NF-A9x14 and Thermalright TL-9015 in my area, was wondering if the side fan setup is going to work out well.

zoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
I never tried it in the end.

The Ventus 3090 is for sure one of the worst 3090 but the easiest to deshroud and with some UV and a Bios Mod still a good candidate for air-cooling inside an M1.

Only the Ventus 3080 has the composite Graphene backplate.

The Ventus 3090 has brushed metal backplate with heatpipes to cool the rear memory modules.

Reactions: yimingwuzere

Isucc

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 22, 2020
I case anyone is interested, I opted for deshrouding my card and installed 2x A12x25 at the bottom as exhaust.
All other fans are also exhausting and seems what many are saying is the way to go, get as much heat ouf the case as possible. :)

I also won't be reinstalling any 92mm fan at the back. Even if it might slightly further reduce the temperatures
the given negative pressure with this setup is more than enough and the potential added noise, another fan cable to route is not worth it imho.

I absolutely recommend the MSI Ventus 3080 and 3090 for deshrouding in a M1. It's only 6 screws to remove the shrouding with the attached fans and the two cables detach very easily.

The CPU, Mobo and the especially the Chipset stays much cooler once the GPU starts coming into play and I couldn't be happier. :)
have you tried the CPU fans to be intake with the GPU exhaust?

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
I've managed to get the following parts:

5800X
Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX
NH-C14S
3x NF-A9x14
1x NF-A9 (rear mount)
1x NF-A12x25 (CPU cooler)
2x NF-A12x15 (between CPU cooler and side panel)
2x GT-1850 (air cooling for deshrouded Zotac Holo 3080)

Might do some testing over the next couple of days if I have the time. Any temps I list will be considered a "bad case" scenario though, ambient temps are high where I am without air conditioning.

Might also be able to stick some NF-A4x10 under the mobo for additional GPU airflow, but I don't have fans for those yet.

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
Did some tests using 2 GT-1850 as intake, 3 NF-A9x14 as exhaust. Only have SotTR installed so far, if anyone knows what's a good gaming title that heats up the GPU well, and I have it in my gaming library, I'm happy to retest. I've heard Ethereum mining is the best way to cook VRAM due to the stress it places on the memory controller, so I added that in. GPU is a Zotac 3080 Holo, deshrouded, repasted with Kryonaut and heatsink thermal pads replaced with Gelid GP-Extreme.

SoTTR @ 4k, TAA, no DLSS, all other settings maxed:
  • Without fans: 80C, overall lower turbo clocks
  • With fans: 78C
Ethereum mining simulation 1 hour @ 1200MHz core, 21Gbps memory:
  • Without fans: 64C core, 104C VRAM
  • With fans: 61C core, 98-100C VRAM
Note that these are running in 30+ ambient temps so I'd expect most people to get better thermals.

Last edited: