(Completed Build) V6 - i7-9700K - RTX 2080 - Thermalright AXP-100 - 6x Noctua Fans

hengster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Completed build 16-Jan-2020
Case: NCASE M1 V6 Black

At the bottom of this post, to keep your imagination alive.

Hot Stuff
CPU: Intel i7-9700k (Stock, as 5.1GHz OC added more heat than FPS differences)
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Ventus (Non-OC version, 42mm thick)
RAM: ADATA DDR4 2666MHz Very Low Profile 2x 8GB (Purple sticks)
SSD: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
MB: ASUS Z390i ROG Strix (the one with fat I/O heatsink)
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-100 (pipes facing PSU, hanging above VLP RAM, fins parallel to RAM)

Cool Stuff
Fan (CPU): Noctua A12x25 Barf Brown (Downwards to MB)
Fan (Side): Noctua A12x25 Barf Brown x2 (Intake towards MB)
Fan (Bottom): Noctua A12x15 Barf Brown x2 (Intake towards GPU)
Fan (Rear): Noctua A9x25 Barf Brown (Exhaust)

Outcome
CPU GPU Thermals: Nothing burning at Idle or Prime95 (latest version) over 2 hours or at Steam gaming load (Ultra max settings at 1080p 144Hz)
Overall Acoustics: Dead silent at idle, inaudible at load
Final Costs: Trying not to calculate (and to forget) the time and money spent
Happiness: Over 9000

Ending note: After switching around using cookie-cutter Noctua U9S with dual fans, 240mm AIO with noisy pump noise, avoiding the Noctua C14S path so highly recommended but another cookier-cutter, I ended up with this slightly different setup. Please ask me any questions other than professional benchmark testing and detailed thermals or acoustics as I do not have the software, hardware, or interest to lead the PC master race that way. And yes, it runs Minesweeper and Minecraft really well.

Image as Promised

(Please excuse the horrible angle and iPhone X quality)

Thank you for your time.

hengster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
More pics needed! Why that small cooler on a i7 9700k though (which you would want to overclock of course)?

Hmm, any suggestions on another cooler that allows me to fit 3x A12x25 in there for sufficient fresh air in-flow?

To your questions:

Small cooler:
Thermalright AXP-200 hits the PSU and needs it to be positioned to the front (ATX) position, resulting in one less intake fan.
I have a full copper AXP-100, which is now in use in other rig with worse airflow and needing that extra heat sink heat capacity.
C14S, same as Thermalright AXP-200 if using 140mm fan, and if using 120mm fan the intake becomes 2x A12x15 thinner ones.
L12 and L12s do not fit the ASUS Z390i MB.

Overclock:
As per my post above, for my 1080p gaming the temperature rise is high compared to the negligible visible FPS gain.
Therefore, while it is possible to go 5-5.1GHz all cores adjusting power limit, I do not intend to overclock.

I would appreciate if you can give me suggestions on alternative cooler(s).

Last edited:

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Hmm, any suggestions on another cooler that allows me to fit 3x A12x25 in there for sufficient fresh air in-flow?

To your questions:

Small cooler:
Thermalright AXP-200 hits the PSU and needs it to be positioned to the front (ATX) position, resulting in one less intake fan.
I have a full copper AXP-100, which is now in use in other rig with worse airflow and needing that extra heat sink heat capacity.
C14S, same as Thermalright AXP-200 if using 140mm fan, and if using 120mm fan the intake becomes 2x A12x15 thinner ones.
L12 and L12s do not fit the ASUS Z390i MB.

Overclock:
As per my post above, for my 1080p gaming the temperature rise is high compared to the negligible visible FPS gain.
Therefore, while it is possible to go 5-5.1GHz all cores adjusting power limit, I do not intend to overclock.

I would appreciate if you can give me suggestions on alternative cooler(s).
You would want to overclock later to still obtain high fps, but for now 1080p is easy for the 9700k and 2080. I can recommend anyone 1440p though. I was personally amazed by the graphics gains (sharpness in the distance and crispness of the textures) when I got a 1440p 144hz IPS screen with great colors and response times (Aorus AD27QD).
When you go more triple a games and want higher fps, you would want to overclock to gain like 10 fps. Have you tried fps on overclock?
Why would you want 25mm fans on the side? My c14s doesn't need it with a ryzen 7 3700x. You can get clips from noctua (free) to keep the psu in normal position with 12x25mm position.
It's a great build though, especially of you are happy :D

Lastly, the ventus is mostly loud, since it's a budget model design. Do you have a custom fan curve and/or undervolt on the 2080?

hengster

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
You would want to overclock later to still obtain high fps, but for now 1080p is easy for the 9700k and 2080. I can recommend anyone 1440p though. I was personally amazed by the graphics gains (sharpness in the distance and crispness of the textures) when I got a 1440p 144hz IPS screen with great colors and response times (Aorus AD27QD).
When you go more triple a games and want higher fps, you would want to overclock to gain like 10 fps. Have you tried fps on overclock?
Why would you want 25mm fans on the side? My c14s doesn't need it with a ryzen 7 3700x. You can get clips from noctua (free) to keep the psu in normal position with 12x25mm position.
It's a great build though, especially of you are happy :D

Lastly, the ventus is mostly loud, since it's a budget model design. Do you have a custom fan curve and/or undervolt on the 2080?

Any suggestion on alternative cooler?

toy_soljah

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 30, 2019
Yes indeed! Not bad leh, very quick can spot sia.
Living and working in Japan now though.

LOL! Actually the best air cooler was Noctua NH-C14 non S version. Which in the past 6 months I saw twice in carousell. If I did not own a NH-U9S, I would have probably gotten it for myself.

Really hard getting Noctua coolers in Singapore locally.

ywori

Trash Compacter
Jul 6, 2018
LOL! Actually the best air cooler was Noctua NH-C14 non S version. Which in the past 6 months I saw twice in carousell. If I did not own a NH-U9S, I would have probably gotten it for myself.

Really hard getting Noctua coolers in Singapore locally.
Hello, noctuas can be found either on taobao which ships directly or on newegg sg site. Much more reasonable. Japan has more itx gpu selection compared to our tiny island.