Nintendo Switch

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
What do you guys think of the presentation? I was a bit worried about the Switch but the Joycon i feel makes it worth the price. Nintendo is the only one advancing console gaming right now. Very excited about this!

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I didn't feel like watching. Someone should combine this into a gaming laptop with a full size PC.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
If you want to listen some to awful translators and some games presentations where they show little or no actual gameplay/footage......

otherwise maybe not :D

- that is seriously worrying though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like that Nintendo is still trying to move gaming forward, but I gave up on modern consoles a while back. Not many games that appeal to me on consoles. The flexible hardware form factors are very interesting.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I like that Nintendo is still trying to move gaming forward, but I gave up on modern consoles a while back. Not many games that appeal to me on consoles. The flexible hardware form factors are very interesting.

Same here, but I also have the same feeling toward PC gaming. In the end, I only play Indie games as they are the only "non-formated" games on the market nowaday. I don't really care about graphics, only the gameplay and the music are important to me. Simple graphics but with a strong atmosphere are way better than eye-candy 8K VR with GFX that we already saw dozens and dozens of time.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think it's great for who it's designed for. And the price point is fantastic - $299 and you get a console and a really awesome mobile gaming device. This is the Nintendo I love.

If I were still a kid I'd be over the moon for this. Even as an adult I'm really tempted to buy it almost wholly because of price and Nintendo's IP, the lackluster performance (relative to Xbone and PS4 at least) be damned.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
So far, the only announced game I'm interested in is Zelda, so I may as well get the Wii U version of that unless the Switch has some major differentiating factor. Octopath Traveler does look visually delightful though, despite the silly name.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Reactions: Soul_Est

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
So far, the only announced game I'm interested in is Zelda,(...)

I'm really sold out by the Mario game. I just can't get enough of them!

But what I really appreciate on the switch is the fact we may play it as a mobile. Sure the battery life might be low, I don't intend on playing outside my house (99% of the time) and I really like to play on the WiiU pad. The image quality on the WiiU pad is very good and I enjoy playing on it much more than on a tv.

As bonus, the hardware looks are very attractive and slick.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
But what I really appreciate on the switch is the fact we may play it as a mobile. Sure the battery life might be low, I don't intend on playing outside my house (99% of the time) and I really like to play on the WiiU pad. The image quality on the WiiU pad is very good and I enjoy playing on it much more than on a tv.
I adore the concept and form-factor, I just can't justify a console that will be used for a handful of games at most.
I've wanted an x86 tablet in this form factor (6"-7" display, dedicated controllers attached to device) for years, but the closest a device has ever been was the Razer Edge Pro which was huge and unwieldy. There is nothing smaller than 13" with a dedicated GPU (Surface Pro with the laptop dock stuck on backwards) and nothing under 12" with even Iris Pro. Even in the Android world, the Nvidia Shield tablet lacks integrated controllers.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Now that it's finally out (though it lacks games) what do you guys think of it hardware wise?

It is underpowered as predicted. The connectivity on one of the joy-cons is quite an oversight... and it quite cool to see that you can connect it to the computer through bluetooth, though you can't use both joy-cons as single controler (yet).

I've read people saying that it's not as comfortable to hold on hand for long... which killed a part of the expectation I had on it... :c

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Now that it's finally out (though it lacks games) what do you guys think of it hardware wise?

It is underpowered as predicted. The connectivity on one of the joy-cons is quite an oversight... and it quite cool to see that you can connect it to the computer through bluetooth, though you can't use both joy-cons as single controler (yet).

I've read people saying that it's not as comfortable to hold on hand for long... which killed a part of the expectation I had on it... :c
The thing is you need to put the Switch into perspective. It's a tablet that can connect to a TV and is powered by SoC for tablets. It's like a gaming laptop in that a desktop computer system of the same cost will be more powerful. You cannot play on a desktop computer system on the go and untethered, feasibly.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
The thing is you need to put the Switch into perspective. It's a tablet that can connect to a TV and is powered by SoC for tablets. It's like a gaming laptop in that a desktop computer system of the same cost will be more powerful. You cannot play on a desktop computer system on the go and untethered, feasibly.

Yes, of course. I don't think anyone had unreasonable expectations for the power of its hardware.

I saw some pictures of people who scratched the screen when placing the console on the dock... makes me wonder if some people are more careless than small kids, actually. :v

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Well an hour ago I didn't think it was so bad, but then I read this and now I'm not sure what to think. I'll probably wait for the Switch v2 - I'm sure that will have a nice Denver + Pascal based chip in it :)

The worst part is, this chip was announced in August, but they wait till 1 week after the Switch is released to announce the dev board. So not sure what is going on here.

But double the bandwidth of the Tegra X1, probably a 50% increase in GPU clock (judging by most Pascal vs Maxwell cihps) and also Denver cores, which hopefully are improved and pretty beefy. Seeing as how this is a 15W chip and Pascal is as efficient as Maxwell, I'm guessing we could see this chip in a Surface or some type of Windows device before it goes in the Switch.

Last edited: