S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
Where can i find these stats?

I mean I see your point about being able to fit them on both sides of a GPU inside an S4 mini... but I'm actually going to be running 2 SSDs on the back on my 1080 (lol), so I'll have no room for that fan on the backside. :(

You can find them on the page of the cooler that the fan comes with. They aren't sold separately, normally, so the only way to get them through traditional means is to buy the Shuriken Rev. B CPU Cooler.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE2YH7199

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I'd go with the Scythe. 3mm is almost an aircraft carrier in SFF terms. I had to increase the width of the S4 MINI by 3mm before production and I had to drink a bottle of scotch to cope. Completely changed the look.
This means you are severely SFF afflicted and in desperate need of a 100-step program (nothing less than that can put a dent into this affliction)!

Reactions: Curiosity

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This means you are severely SFF afflicted and in desperate need of a 100-step program (nothing less than that can put a dent into this affliction)!

As long as they are small steps and can fit into a 5 min session. And there is no wasted air gaps in the conversation.

...and there are powdered donuts.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I'd go with the Scythe. 3mm is almost an aircraft carrier in SFF terms. I had to increase the width of the S4 MINI by 3mm before production and I had to drink a bottle of scotch to cope. Completely changed the look.
Hmmm... very well said. I'll have to email these guys over at scythe to get a pair, then. :) Who do I email?

So, is that 3mm increase where the "203mm of space from GPU backplate to the wraparound bezel" came from that you mentioned a few weeks ago? What's the story behind that, why'd you have to do it, what did doing it affect in your case?

Last edited:

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
Unless you are unlucky like me where there is some kind of thread lock on the screws... I ended up just resting my HDPLEX on a slight angle over top of the nuts, not ideal but it worked out fine.

I think there is thread lock in mine too... I don't manage to remove the inserts/screws. Any advice?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Dremel it off? that is what I'm planning to do. Pretty sure the bolt and nut in the bottom front of the case isn't absolutely necessary for structure. Perhaps @Josh | NFC could verify this before I cut my case some more?

Reactions: ricochet

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
There is no use for ANY of the studs and nuts for the end user.

I keep trying to get them removed every run...or at least for them to attach it with screws...

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
There is no use for ANY of the studs and nuts for the end user.

I keep trying to get them removed every run...or at least for them to attach it with screws...

How do you remove them? With pliers? I would prefer not to dremel them as I might scratch the case...

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Okay my way of removing the studs is putting a heat shrink tube top of the stud then shrink it, then remove it by using a pair of pliers.

Reactions: NotungX

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Here is how I recommend you go about it:

1. Except for the two you need to remove, loosen the three other nuts on the studs and the two black philips screws holding the bezel on in the back. The inner chassis should slide freely from the bezel at this point. If it doesn't try to separate them so it does.

2. Now remove the middle two nuts--a 1/4" nutdriver is the handiest tool for this, but you can remove it with a socket, wrench, pliers or even your fingers if you have strong hands :)

3. Now you have the studs. If the inner chassis is touching these studs, you will never ever get them out. So move the inner chassis so it's holes are freely over the studs. While firmly grabbing the studs and rocking them back and forth like you were going to knock over a stick in the ground, unscrew them. If you have a unit without threadlocker, they will unscrew by hand. If they don't, and you have given it a good try, then use some tape or a cloth so you dont scratch your chassis, and use channellocks (or whatever you call them in your neck of the woods).

The instructions sound complicated but its a 5 min ordeal and I am just being detailed. Here is a real time video of a stubborn unit from the last batch.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I saw someone posted earlier that they were going to try out a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini inside the case... well, sorry but I beat you to the punch. Does it fit? Kinda:

So, here's my notes:

1) You have to remove the wraparound bezel. This is the only way to insert the GPU.

2) Once it is in, it will stick out from the cutout by maybe a centimeter. That means you can't put the bezel back on, but it does work this way.

3) Even if you remove the GPU's plastic shroud, the heatsink sticks out a couple millimeters, and the fan blades stick out a few millimeters past that. If you were nuts, you could remove the shroud, file/dremel down the fan blades, and then *maybe* you'd be able to cram it all in with the wraparound bezel attached.

4) You cannot install the HDPlex power thingy where it normally goes. I'm not even sure it can be installed with the dremel mod that Josh posted a video of, because the backplate gets in the way as well as the PCB. You'd have to file/dremel quite a bit of material to get it to fit like the Gigabyte 1070 does. You can still easily install the HDPlex power thingy by using tin-snips to make a hole in the top grille, as Josh also covers in the GTX 1070 video; that would work the same with plenty of room.

5) Note the 3 holes hear the GPU cutout. You could cut a piece of sheet metal and drill it to match those holes, then bolt it on in order to cover up and protect the bit of GPU sticking out. In fact, it wouldn't even make the case any deeper because it would line up with the ridge near the power button. If you put some weather stripping (black foam rubber with adhesive one one side) on the side of the sheet metal facing the GPU, you could bolt it on and it would both protect the GPU and hold it very strongly in place without marring the GPU shroud. I might go with this method myself, because the GPU wobbling around is usually the weakest link when transporting any PC.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
DUDE THANKS! This will help greatly with figuring out how to fit it into the S4 Mini (with the wrap around). BTW @Zero did you try... flipping the HDPLEX connector upside down? with the PCB side opposite the GPU? (so it's pcb is closer to the bottom of the case?) I remember reading a post that mentioned that they were able to get it to fit without modding it/cutting it, by just flipping it around.

FedEx actually had actually shipped my 1080mini a day early to my house (today) ... but I literally missed the shipment by 7 minutes when I got home and read the "attempted shipping slip" they left on my door. Either way, I wouldn't be able to test fit it, as I don't have my S4 mini yet. I'll be getting my 1080mini tomorrow, so after doing a quick DOA test and I'll be shipping it off to @Josh | NFC for further/various testing, along with my HDPLEX300 for sleeving.

Josh will get to test the 1080mini in an S4mini way more that I could, since he has S4's in hand. This way he can test it's fitting inside the S4 mini with and without the GPU shroud, or built in fans, (and which setup fits within the case's wrap-around bezel), he can make a sketchup model from having a 1080mini in-hand (useful), he can pull off the shroud and fans and see how a 120x12mm slim fan fits in it's place using the 120mm fan mount (and if that allows for the GPU to fit within the wrap-around bezel even better). He can do open testbench and closed-case temperature comparison tests of the stock fans and the 12x120mm slim fan if he wants. He can do HDPLEX300/Dell330 PSU-load tests. He can do pretty much any reasonable tests he sees fit or would consider fun, in my opinion. He might even have enough fun with it to make a video about the 1080mini & S4 mini fitment for us. :) Hell, he might even figure out how to setup the HDPLEX connector in it's original spot on the S4 so it doesn't interfere with the card's PCB/backplate, hell he can even remove my card's backplate in his testing if he wants, lol.

But I digress, I'm honored to send it to him, and I am in no rush to get it back until he feels his testing of it is thoroughly complete... besides my ASUS mobo isn't even out yet so I'm totally chill about starting my build.

Last edited:

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
FedEx actually had actually shipping my 1080mini a day early to my house (today) ... but I literally missed the shipment by literally 7 minutes when I got home and read the "attempted shipping slip" they left on my door. Either way, I wouldn't be able to test fit it it as I don't have my S4 mini yet. I'll be getting my 1080mini tomorrow, doing a quick DOA test and then shipping it and the HDPLEX300 off to Josh for sleeving.
Damn, that will be nice having the HDPLEX cabling sleeved.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I did try flipping the HDPlex power thing around, but there's a ridge in the case that directly interferes with that orientation, so I'd need longer slightly longer screws than what the HDPlex includes, and the ridge would push the power thing towards the inside of the case by a millimeter, which further gets in the way of a tab on the backplate that wants to lie flush against the case.

Essentially it's a good bit of surgery involved. There might be a way to finagle it without making a permanent mod to the case or HDPlex power thing, but I'm not getting that into it until I at least sleeve/recolor the HDPlex cabling.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
sounds like a good reason to cut a hole in the bezel :)

Reactions: ricochet

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
@Zero

Congratulations! I think fitting a 1080 in the mini is a great achievement and a custom cover using the 3 holes from the bezel will definitely work as embellishement.

A bracket can be attached using the same holes in the inner part of the case to give support to the GPU as well.

Reactions: Josh | NFC