S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Has anyone used the NFC SILIFLEX Riser with an Asrock z97 mobo? I have read about various ASRock boards having issues with different risers and just want to know if that is the case and what can be done to fix the issue?

Reactions: Reldey

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
haven't been able to build in it yet since my GPU is out for rma, and I don't have my camera to take video of the build which I like to do.
I'll post a build log when I do though, keep your eyes peeled.
The 1080/to mini won't fit mine, but you can just ask them to make it longer if you wanted to fit one.

Ok thanks

Here is a good comparsion of two 1070 mini cards. what weird is is this:
ZOTAC MINI = 73° with TWO fans vs GIGABYTE MINI = 65° with ONE fan.

Is the gigabyte much louder or is the Zotac gpu cooler just really bad ?

see here at 39:35 minutes

i would be curious to buy them two (not availiable at the moment) just to test it and also how the temps on both would be if stock fans would be changed on both with the NF-A12x15 PWM

Anyone tried some tests like those ?

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Has anyone used the NFC SILIFLEX Riser with an Asrock z97 mobo? I have read about various ASRock boards having issues with different risers and just want to know if that is the case and what can be done to fix the issue?
AsrockRack EPC612D4I and Asrock X99 Extreme4 has no problems with NFC riser at all.

Reactions: spintje

Big McCann

Efficiency Noob
Jun 21, 2017
It has probably been mentioned before and watched videos of the s4 assembly but if you used the noctua low profile cou cooler and fan, above it can you only fit slim fans or will a typical 120mm fan fit just fine?

I would love a noctua industrial for their colour and style but im afraid it wont fit

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
If you use an L9i with the included fan you can fit a slim fan above it. If you take off the included fan you can fit a 25mm fan but it will press against the side panel and create turbulence noise.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
So if you mount any fan in the bracket, will it be too close to the panel to cause turbulence issues? Or does it depend on the fan?

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Does anyone know the max height on RAM before it hits the top of the case? I don't think you can say that the CPU cooler+fan max height is equal to RAM max height since the RAM goes into the MB a few mm.

Does a WIKI or Google Drive spreadsheet exist for the NFC S4 mini?

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Thanks fminus, i will add this card to my test

Please contribute with your questions there guys if i should test somthing on them:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/review-test-of-mini-gtx-1070-cards-help-needed.2586/
soon (this Weekend maybe) i will test three (four) mini 1070 cards in a S4 mini case.

The Cards:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB (ZT-P10700G)
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8GB (GV-N1070IXOC-8GD)
KFA2 (Galax) GeForce GTX 1070 OC Mini (70NSH6DVO5MK)
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero ITX OC

i want to measure in idle and under Load

the GPU temperature
the power draw
the noise
coil whine

Any other things i should test for as i have the cards for testing ?

any additional stuff i should look for ?

I also would like to compare them with stock fans
and with an other fan, replacing the stockfans.

Which aftermarket fan would fit the gpu in the s4 mini the best?
Noctua a12x15 maybe?

Last edited:

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
Hello :)
While I excitedly wait for an S4 over the coming months, I want to get a build up and running in my old ATX case - My previous build might have caught fire :eek:

Quick question, could the unorthodox placement of ports on Gigabyte's upcoming AM4 ITX (AB350N-Gaming WIFI) be an issue with a HDPlex400 build?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@Broxin I have the MSI Aero 1070 ITX. Single fan. Quiet. Has 0db on idel. Also had the Zotac 1080 mini. Loud as shit. Returned it.

Would you mind if you get chance measuring the height of this Aero card from the bottom edge of the PCIe slot to the top flat surface of the power connector?

It looks like the connector is recessed a little bit, but not as much as the Gigabyte version, so its hard to tell how tall this card is once you factor in the power connector.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D
Not a problem, i will

you have any recommendations for a fan ?
I would be careful replacing the fans of graphics cards, especially at the 150w TDP or above level, you usually have to remove the shroud to fit a different fan.

The shroud plays an important part in making sure the air produced by a fan passes along the entire length of the heatsink, without the shroud the heatsink does not operate at its full potential.

The Noctua NF-A9x14 is probably the best slim 92mm fan available.

Reactions: Broxin

Mr Quimper

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 21, 2017
Why do you want to go with Ryzen? It can be a good value for the dollar if you're doing workstation stuff (i.e. multithreaded compute like Photoshop and stuff) but if you're looking for gaming performance (as I might deduce on account of your getting a GPU) then Intel will have better single-thread speed and much better performance-per-watt, which means the system can run cooler and quieter.

I would get a 7700k instead of the 1700x, they are $310 new on eBay.

It is $10 more to get that 1TB SSD you want in an M.2 form factor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYOKOJI/?tag=theminutiae-20

Regardless of whether you go AMD or Intel, any modern motherboard will have an M.2 slot. I highly recommend going for the M.2 SSD, as then your case won't need the drive bracket, the SATA power connection from the PSU, or the SATA data connection from the motherboard. That frees up a ton of space and makes things much cleaner.

Here's a realtime comparison of Ryzen vs 7700k in gaming:
If you do other side things with very heavy compute like video editing and stuff then Ryzen might make sense, but in building an SFF system, ignore energy efficiency at your own peril.

I will be using it as a CAD/rendering/image processing workstation and thanks for the M.2 SSD recommendation. That will make it a bit cleaner.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
@Mr Quimper If you are going with the 1700X I would suggest picking up the l9a over the l9i. I just started testing the two last night, but so far it appears that the larger size of the l9a does result in a slight cooling advantage. It's also narrower, so it sits a little further away from the RAM which may or may not matter depending on what AM4 board you go with.

Sidenote: You can use l9i with AM4 boards. You can't use the l9a with 1150/51 boards... Food for thought.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hey Josh, what were the changes made to the R1 R2 R3?

i have the #144 and am wondering which revision/runit is.

Thanks

You have a Run 2 MINI. The differences are incredibly minor between runs. I'd tell you but this way there is more mystery, and perhaps someone will spend huge amounts of money to buy one from all three runs to compare and I wouldn't dream of taking that away from her/him. ;)

The main reason I have runs is because I can't afford to buy alot at a time, nor wait for pre-orders to fill up enough for a big run. To seriously answer your question.

Peace

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
@Mr Quimper If you are going with the 1700X I would suggest picking up the l9a over the l9i. I just started testing the two last night, but so far it appears that the larger size of the l9a does result in a slight cooling advantage. It's also narrower, so it sits a little further away from the RAM which may or may not matter depending on what AM4 board you go with.

Sidenote: You can use l9i with AM4 boards. You can't use the l9a with 1150/51 boards... Food for thought.
Interesting.
It looked to me like certain 115x boards might work with the L9i have you tried it and it didn't work or are you speculating?

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
@Curiosity The L9i has small cutouts/indents on the underside of the heat sink to accommodated intel board components. While on the l9a all the heat sink fins are the same size. I currently have one Asus 1150 board, and two MSI 1151 boards and I couldn't get it to fit on any of them.

Reactions: Curiosity